Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Lively Ones

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

all the more reason to buy "Creature Feature" on vinyl!!!

TFJ

huh?
why is that?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Not sure why vinyl, but it does have the Pilgrims' cover of Tranq on it. Apologies if that's a repeat of an earlier remark!

I can confirm (as if it were needed!) John Blair's comment, now that I have my copy of the Esquires CD in hand and also Dalley's Surfin Guitars, with its 6 page article on the Esquires. The CD says recorded by KASK in 1964.

Dalley quotes Esquires bassist Durby Wheeler: "While we attended Gladstone Street School, in the eighth grade , we both liked the sounds of the electric guitars we heard at the Azusa Teen Club from groups like Coachmen, the Surfaris, the Lively Ones and others. We would watch them play and dream ..." More about guitars being purchased in 5/63 (Silvertones), recording Flashin' Red/What a Burn at PAL Recording Studio, hearing from Dave Aerni at PAL that the Surfaris had recorded Wipeout there, using a Gretsch bass available at PAL because the place was so cold that the Silvertone bass kept going out of tune. In passing, a mention of recording some stuff in a session at KASK in 1964, including High Tide. At the time of the interview the CD had not yet come out. They finally beat out John Barakat & the Vestells for the position of house band at the Palladium in Pomona in 1964, too. The band endured until 1968 or so (with personnel and name changes), ending as a garage group with vocals. They opened once for ? & the Mysterians.

Given the history of the High Tide recording by the Esquires, there's no mention of the credits onteh CD.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010 00:46:25

spskins
Yes. I just assumed Summers was a Tony Hilder type character lurking in the background of different bands.
????

He's mentioned at intervals in Dalley's interviews as the owner or co-owner - with Mike Curb, as in Mike Curb/Davie Allan - and engineer at the Sound House recording studio in El Monte. He was involved in recording the Surfmen/Expressos, the Lively Ones, the Revelairs, the Vibrants and Adrian & the Sunsets.

A note on credits relative to the Lively Ones: Bob Dalley quotes Jim Masoner as saying "The group never received any royalties from our records , not even the writer's royalties. I made the serious mistake of putting the group's name as the writer of our songs. That mistake enabled Del-Fi Records to say they owned the rights to the name because of the contract. They also owned the publishing company. They were able to claim all of the money." (p. 163a)

I'm not sure I fully understand the logic here, but it does imply that Masoner considered that at least some of the songs attributed to the group as a whole were actually his. Apart from that I think he's saying that the contract conceded rights to the name to Del-Fi and that as a result listing the songs to the group as a whole let Del-Fi claim the royalties were theirs.

TFJ

• kick ass version of the song & the vinyl version is still available.

Tuck
They opened once for ? & the Mysterians.

so did the Fathoms ~1998

So has every garage and surf band in the country. Smile

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

I think they did it in 1968. I guess that makes them "early openers."

In regard to Tranquilizer/High Tide, any genetic relationship to the Space Cossacks' Sea of Tranquility?

Art Bourasseau came up with the melody for that one (I wrote the bridge), so I don't know. I've never noticed any similiarity....

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Tuck
A note on credits relative to the Lively Ones: Bob Dalley quotes Jim Masoner as saying "The group never received any royalties from our records , not even the writer's royalties. I made the serious mistake of putting the group's name as the writer of our songs. That mistake enabled Del-Fi Records to say they owned the rights to the name because of the contract. They also owned the publishing company. They were able to claim all of the money." (p. 163a)

Interesting quote, Tuck, thanks!

Oh, and thanks for the info about "Walking the Board", your theory sounds plausible to me.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

shivers13
Understood, but you also have to put in perspective that The Ventures recorded a hell of a lot more albums than The Lively Ones did. When the surf craze was over so were The Lively Ones and the like. Whereas, the Ventures continued on.

Dalley's interview with the Lively Ones has them recalling that they came out ahead of the Ventures in a couple of battles of bands. I'm not sure what this refers to, though.

Tuck
Dalley's interview with the Lively Ones has them recalling that they came out ahead of the Ventures in a couple of battles of bands. I'm not sure what this refers to, though.

Stage presence, according to the liners of one of the Lively Ones best-ofs. It said they were a lot more energetic on stage than the Ventures.

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

From all accounts The Lively Ones lived up to their name on stage. Tim Fitzpatrick told me that their stage show was intentionally more high energy than the rest... they wanted to stand out against the competition. Not surprising they beat out the Ventures in a battle of the bands. The Ventures were great live (their Japan live stuff is proof) but they don't exactly tear up the stage with presence.

The fact that they beat The Ventures in a battle of the bands is a testament to how great they must have been. There's no way the could have won entirely on stage presence. Too bad there's no live footage of the LO's in their heyday. What a shame.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

How the LO came ahead of the Ventures is certainly a very good question. I think you folks have put your collective fingers on it, maybe adding also a better link to the audiences. What I was actually wondering. though, was where and when. Makes you kind of wonder what would have happened if the LO had toured Japan at the right moment.

I've been looking a bit further into the question of the origins of Walkin' the Board.

The first lead is the credit to a J. or G. Urango and the AllMusic business about J. Uranga writing Alla en el Rancho Grande.

It turns out that Alla en el Rancho Grande is the title song of a Mexican cowboy movie of the same name, produced by Fernando de Fuentes (December 13, 1894 to July 4, 1958). It came out in 1936 and basically founded the cowboy musical movie genre in Mexico. The English of the title is Out on (or Over at) the Big Ranch. The movie is also called Cruz, after the female lead character.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027277/ (1936 original)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040088/ (1948 remake)

The music for that song was written by Emilio D. Uranga, and the Spanish lyrics are by J. de Moral. The English lyrics, probably later, are by Bartley Costello. I think I was more than fair in calling them doggerel.

(shields up!)

http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/e/elranchogrande.shtml

You sometimes see this song attributed to one Dominio Publico. He's written a lot of stuff. His name is actually Spanish for Public Domain, which may explain things.

It is harder to get to J. or G. Urango from E.D. Uranga than from J. Uranga, but in the end the credit here is plainly a vexed issue.

The AllMusic credit of the song to Engineer Javier Uranga is probably a case of their tendency to unify into one person any set of one or more people with the same or even just similar names, e.g., Albert and Alan Garcia. (And, what the heck, they both play(ed) bass! It all works out.)

The song Alla en el Rancho Grande was sung in the original movie by singer actor Federico Arturo "Tito" Guízar Tolentino (April 8, 1908 - December 24, 1999). It was a a hit for him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tito_Gu%C3%ADzar

If you go to Amazon (etc.) you can purchase MP3 downloads of the original version, or of various Spanish and English covers, e.g., from the CD Having Wonderful Time by Tommy Dorsey and His Clambake Seven. Apparently the original LP came out in 1944 and was reissued various times. The English version was covered widely, e.g., by Bing Crosby and by Dean Martin.

The name Urango is a Basque surname/placename meaning 'well watered, near the water'. Durango is a Spanish version of it. I assume Uranga is a variant form, too. (Incidentally, boxer Juan Urango's brother Gurango Mitico Urango whom I mentioned was made up by me in a silly moment to explain the G. Urango variant.)

===

Well, that's one approach. Another is to assume that the title is some sort of give away, e.g., Walkin' the Board is from something Board or Walkin' something, like 40 Mile of Bad Road vs. 40 Miles of Bad Surf, and so on.

This leads pretty quickly to Patsy Cline's Walkin' After Midnight, which actually has some resemblances to Alla en el Rancho Grande.

http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/w/walkingaftermidnight.shtml

This song is credited to Don Hecht and Alan Bock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkin%27_After_Midnight

Which part of the song is Hecht's and which Bock's I don't know, but a big part of Hecht's contribution was in buffaloing Patsy into singing it. It was a huge hit for her, but apparently she never liked it much. I guess apart from the odd lyrics - "Tell me again why I am wandering along a highway in the early morning hours?" - it reminded her of Alla en el Rancho Grande on some subliminal level. She recorded Walkin' in 1956 and it became popular immediately when she sang it on Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts on CBS in January 1957. (The pilot for American Idol.) She ended up recording it multiple times. Every time she did Hecht felt a twinge run down his spine like someone was walking on his grave.

I have a question: Does anybody have a clue, how this picture relates to the Lively Ones?

I first saw it on the cover of a cheap Best Of-CD called "Guitar Legends" and only realised a few years later, that this are not Jim Masoner, Tim Fitzpatrick & Co. Now by looking through getty images I found the picture again. The caption reads:
UNSPECIFIED - CIRCA 1970: Photo of Lively Ones Photo by Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images

1970 seems a bit late considering clothes, ahircuts and the general style of the picture. There is a mark from the original photographer in the lower right corner of the image, something like "James Kriegsmann".

Could this be the "Bugalu Party" incarnation of the band?

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020 08:49:20

There was another "Lively Ones," although I can't put my hands on a reference right now. NOT a surf band. The photo, above, is likely of that band.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

According to Wikipedia, James Kriegsmann "was a celebrity and theatrical photographer who worked from 1929 to the early 1960s" based in New York City. He was also a prolific songwriter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_J._Kriegsmann

New York is a good pointer: Google lists a blog about a band called the Lively Ones from New York, that unfortunately is no longer online (and also not on the Internet Archive), with the following preview text:

The band, 'The Lively Ones' definately had some good tunes. This musical variety show was a summer replacement for "Hazel" and aired for two years. Out of all ...

And then there is this recording from the Dark Horse Tavern, which could yet be a completely different band. Definitely no surf music.

Thanks for the help with this riddle. Now back to the real Lively Ones!

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next