Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Star Crunch's Gear

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Star Crunch, Brian Causey, was in a band called the Causey Way for awhile. It was decent music and pretty funny. He was the leader of a cult in that band. I was quite amused at the time, I was 17, at the song Science Made Me a Homo . . . Sapien.

Birdstuff is in the successfull band named the Polyphonic Spree.

Ahh, good.

Then I can keep the DNA on ice for a while longer. Wink

GREGORY NICOLL, Southern Surf Syndicate Agent # 44

Last I heard about SC he was running a record label in Athens (http://www.thewarmsupercomputer.com/), and he recorded the theme song for The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron on Nickelodeon Shocked

JakeDobner
Star Crunch, Brian Causey, was in a band called the Causey Way for awhile.

Are you sure about that? I seem to recall from the MoAM list that this was total coincidence. Birdstuff may have drummed for them though.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

He made one exception, though, allowing Boy Causey to join the Way. Boy, aka "Brian", currently holds a day job with MAN OR ASTROMAN?, as well as having served in SERVOTRON. Causey made one thing clear when accepting Boy Causey: he must dedicate 50% of his MOAM earnings to Causey as a love-tithe.

That is what I read back in the day. Of course it was Brian Teasley(birdstuff) was in the band. I assumed it was Starcrunch because the band has his last name.

Yeah I don't think Brian C was in that band, but Birdstuff was. The MoAM list is actually showing some activity so maybe I'll ask about that.

I sent an email to The Warmsupercomputer asking about Starcrunch but never got a reply. That was a long time ago though.

His Jimmy Neutron TV Theme rocks.

Just my lame opinion of course, but I thought that Causey Way, and Polyphonic Spree are horrible. They are good, if you like music that doesn't rock Crying

Servotron was ok, very computer keyboard sounding, but interesting at least. They kinda rocked, but not hard.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
I thought that Causey Way, and Polyphonic Spree are horrible.

The one time I saw them live Polyphonic Spree were even worse than their studio stuff. Saccharine hippie gospel jams are bad enough--adding two dozen percussionists and a string section really doesn't help matters. There wasn't any purple Kool-Aid anywhere in sight, either.

I didn't think the band Humans that Birdstuff was (is?) in with Jonny from Jonny & the Shamen was very good either.

Just my $.02

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

The Polyphonic Spree's lame Up-With-People music was part of what made the potentially terrific indie movie THE SAFETY OF OBJECTS ultimately so disappointing.

As Rip Thrillby would say, "Smelly hippies." Confused

GREGORY NICOLL, Southern Surf Syndicate Agent # 44

Hello

I'm new on the forum so be cool with me ...

I 'm wondering me what's the guitar using by Trace Reading here.

I've never found any information.

Can you help me ?

I believe that is his 59 Silvertone. He played that guitar for the entire gig when i seen them in 99. BTW, that is brian causey in the cusey way.
I have to give big props to Trace Reading, hes a great player, 1000x is an excellent album with great playing. The direction of the band changed when star crunch was still in the band with the made from technecium album. Sure, its not surf, but i think its one of there best.
I would love to hear what star crunch is up to now.
BTW, Im sure that Ansigods site is one of the reasons i stuck with the guitar, i owe that dude.

i don't think that guitar is a silvertone. i'm pretty darned sure it's traces hofner hollowbody with built in fuzz circuit

starcrunch was not causey from causey way. it was a once professional skateboarder named Scott Causey Stanton. but i do think that scott stanton had something to do with one of the legs of the clone tours.

live for the reunion touch and go recs show, Starcrunch played a custom jazzmaster with an actual p90 neck pickup, a kill switch, and a non american tailpiece. i cant remember what he had in the bridge.

he also played his white mosrite with circuit board pickguard and that funky hondo danelectro longhorn copy

silverface vibrolux, a rat, an echo, and something else. i had the opportunity to bother him after their performance with stupid fanboy questions.

Ya i think your right, that is the Hofner.
What did he have to say after the sho, reveal and gear info? Im obsessed with his sound.

gusto
Ya i think your right, that is the Hofner.
What did he have to say after the sho, reveal and gear info? Im obsessed with his sound.

well, i can pretty much get close to his early tones out of a vibrolux reverb or even a deluxe reverb cranked up and a gretsch hollowbody.

what i was most obsessed with over these past few years were the gain sounds on Made From Technetium. i didnt think that was coming from a mosrite most of the time, or even a rat.

apparently, it was just the hondo with some ugly sounding humbucker straight into the vibrolux. cranked. such an interesting sound. i know the surf guys really dislike that album, as did i when i first got it. it had one 'surfy' song on it.

i didn't want to bother him too much so i just asked about that one particular album and told him i really appreciate his work with the warm electronic recordings label. he asked if i played guitar so we geeked over ampeg amps a little bit and i let the man be.

Thanks !

It's a Hofner Model 4578. There is many version and different effects.

http://vintage-hofner.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/archtops/arch28.html

Cool

gusto
I have to give big props to Trace Reading, hes a great player, 1000x is an excellent album with great playing.

Star Crunch played on 1000x.

Brian

gusto
I have to give big props to Trace Reading, hes a great player, 1000x is an excellent album with great playing.

Star Crunch played on 1000x.

haha yeah. 1000x is a great album, kinda punk rock, but def. starcrunch. also, i think trace reading is a fantastic guitarist. i have only ever heard him in man.. or astro-man? but he could kick out some jams.

here's a youtube video link to him sporting his hofner hollowbody through a silvertone amp i just came across:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ_aJ4Fa-n0&mode=related&search=

From the looks of it it's a Silvertone Hollowbody prolly made by Teisco of Japan.

Brian
I actually got into Made from Technetium, and prefer it to what came after. Of course, I would have liked them to explore the Experiment Zero territory a little bit longer before going off in a new direction....

There are a few good songs on Spectrum and Eeviac, but yeah...too trippy and too noisy overall..

I've always felt the same way, but I listen to Theme From Eeviac over and over like an autistic kid.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Looks like Star Crunch did some updates to his pedal board: The TC Electronics Voicetone Synth used in 2010 is gone for a EHX Frequency Analyzer (which is basically a ring modulator), also the EHX Micro Synth was replaced with a newer version.

Interesting to see what became of the "straigth sound" approach of the early days mentioned in the quote from Brian above. Wink

For Pictures (also of gear from the other band members) check out:
http://otherbandsstuff.com/post/35217140569/man-or-astro-man-10-31-12

As for the Gretsch guitars I stumbled upon a picture with feature both of them, but being no expert on the several types I leave it to others to guess:

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Last edited: Jun 06, 2014 05:59:09

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next