Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Star Crunch's Gear

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

Didn't SC use a hofner as well? They used some interesting choices for guitars, never really "standards" for the surf genre or elsewhere. Mosrites aside. The thinner model hollowbodies looked to be a fav. of theirs.

Surf in Seattle?

(Eric I split your post into a new topic)

From what I recall reading on Ansigod's MoAM? site (anyone here remember that.. Shocked ? ), in the early days Star Crunch used a Gretch Tennesean and a Jazzmaster. He later switched to the Mosrite.

I don't remember what amp he had and I've never found a good photo. I seem to recall it being a silver face Vibrolux or Vibroverb.

For pedals, I do remember Ansigod saying he used a Pro Co Rat for those few distorted songs they had (Nitrus Burnout, etc).

Please chime in if you saw the Star Crunch era Astro-Men...

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I recall that page. It was a good one. And I don't think his Gretsch was a Tennessean. From the live video I have and the pictures I have seen it looks more like a 6120 Nashville not the 6119 Tennessean. The 6119 is red while the 6120 is, almost, always orange. Also the 6119 has a 25.5" scale length while the 6120 is 24.6". There are also other small things that leads me to my hypothesis.

It isn't conclusive since the lighting kind of sucks but it looks more like a 6120 to me.

Also he plays a Gretsch Sparkle Jet in the Sferic Waves video and I've seen it in videos. I love the sound he gets with those guitars. I own a 6118, same as the 6120 save for aesthetics, and I can't get that sound. I'm also not as good a guitarist as he was.

Aha! Jackpot...I found that July 1996 Guitar Player clipping that Ivan mailed me (thanks Ivan! :worship:).

Amongst all the joking, he does reveal something about his gear, but not his guitars. He is pictured in the photo with his white Mosrite.

Star Crunch
The amplifier is a silverface Fender Vibrolux Reverb....Occasionally I'll use an Electro-Harmonix Memory Man echo to simulate space-planetary differences, and I recently acquired a Space Echo. But usually I prefer a straight sound. My guitar sound would be like the Apollo space program, and once you start putting all these wacked-out effects on it, it becomes more like the Space Shuttle, which is too sterile and has no grit.

As to his guitar being a Tennesean or non-Tennesean, that is only my memory from Ansigod's page.

I remember that page saying what the guitar was as well. You memory is correct. Ansigod may be wrong however. It is kind of hard to tell. I don't have MoAM? photos saved on my computer anymore so I can't look through them.

The Wayback Machine may have an archived version of his website. I'll go search through my old computer and see if I can find Ansigod's old URL. Probably won't get to that until tomorrow though.

Brian
Please chime in if you saw the Star Crunch era Astro-Men...

Really wish I could have. And yet I'm going to chime in anyways. When I saw them on what ended up being their final tour, Trace Reading had a Jazzmaster, Jaguar (I think), a Ventures-model Mosrite, a Gretsch and at least one other guitar.

Blazar came out of the audience for a couple of songs playing one of those Danelectros with like 9,000 frets. (Hondo?)

It was a great show. "Man Made of CO2" and especially "Simple Text File" rocked.

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

I didn't play guitar when they were touring so I never really paid a heck of a lot of attention to their equipment or playing...other than the blur of his hand during the double picking frenzy! So i never recalled the jazzmaster. I did remember the matching danelectros however. If anyone could point me in the direction of a pic w/the jazzmaster or jag that would be great!
Anyone know what gear the clones used. If, in fact, they used true astro-equipment or their "cloned" (own) gear. I never saw that tour, maybe cuz i was underage or they didn't swing through town. I emailed the clone that posted the jumpsuit on ebay but never heard back. Anyone see this tour?

Surf in Seattle?

I really like MOAM, but I got into them late. So was Star Crunch their old guitar player? Who's the one playing on the live album? Was the old band better?

Starcrunch was on the live album. I prefer the old lineup. There is just a lot more material with the old lineup.

Here is the Wayback machine archive of Ansigod's Moam pages:

(The forum won't generate a link because of the craziness of the URL, so you'll have to copy & paste it yourself)

[url]http://web.archive.org/web/[/url]*/[url]http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~bpmccal/moam.html[/url]

Unfortunately, the gear page doesn't seem to be archived! Crying

IMHO, MoAM? got all weird after Star Crunch left.

Brian
IMHO, MoAM? got all weird after Star Crunch left.

Didn't he play on Made From Techneithum (sp)? If so, then they were already getting weird, and that album's far and away their weakest.

Still, some of their late stuff is amazing--"Interstellar Harddrive," "Engines of Difference," "Theme From Eeviac," & especially "Man Made of CO2."

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

i actually like all there stuff even "the spectrum of infinite scale" stuff. They just got really trippy and noisey, which is fine by me. but i agree, Made From Technecium is their weakest album.

Science friction burns my fingers.

I actually got into Made from Technetium, and prefer it to what came after. Of course, I would have liked them to explore the Experiment Zero territory a little bit longer before going off in a new direction....

There are a few good songs on Spectrum and Eeviac, but yeah...too trippy and too noisy overall..

Brian
I actually got into Made from Technetium, and prefer it to what came after. Of course, I would have liked them to explore the Experiment Zero territory a little bit longer before going off in a new direction....

There are a few good songs on Spectrum and Eeviac, but yeah...too trippy and too noisy overall..

MFT was the first MoAM? album I heard, and I really liked it, that is, until I heard the better stuff. Experiment Zero, although pretty far in sound from their earlier stuff, is an excellent album. I thought I heard one time that Star Crunch was using a blonde Tremolux. I might be wrong.

Ran

The Scimitars

Even though it's a collection of rarities,b sides of 45's,tracks from comps,
extra tracks from the LP's ( instead of extra track on the cd, weird huh??)
I love the "What Remains Inside a Black Hole" aussie import. Plays
really well, like it was an album. I believe Estruss re-mastered and released it and it sounded way cleaner, and had a few different tracks.
I think it was called Beyond the Black Hole. But I always go back to the
aussie import with the thicker sound.

I have about 20 or so 45's need to make a list of what I have and compare to the old website to see what I'm missing.
Saw them twice, and the clone project once.
Killer stage show, wish they would put out a dvd.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007 13:34:32

The astromen had a blog on their myspace about their best/worst... I can't say I'd agree with the results (there must not be a lot of surf purists on there besides) but here's a link

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=11143789&blogID=21278592&MyToken=e2d09b5f-f5c8-43cc-b8f8-e7df2e7f747e

Project Infinity was a pretty solid album as well. Brian...thanks for that link to Ansigod's old site! I never would have imagined it could be dug up again.

Surf in Seattle?

I saw Man or Astro-Man? perform live many times between '93 and about '97, and I pretty much recall the the blue Mosrite being Star Crunch's main guitar through the whole period.

For some reason I was almost always standing closer to the righthand side of the stage, which is where Star Crunch usually stood, but he had this odd habit of turning to face the center of the stage so that what I usually saw was just the back of the guitar's neck. This was kinda frustrating since I could never see his finger positions as he played.

I did once, though, get a great spot on the left side of the room when they played at The Point in Atlanta, and for once was able to watch Star in full glorious action on the Mosrite. I'd love to say it was the highlight of all the times I saw them, but no, it was an odd and uncharacteristic night.

This was when they used to load up Little Debbie treats in a batting machine called "Snack-zooka" and fire them at the audience, but during sound check (more like "target practice") one of the treats had gone ker-splat on the soundboard, and the club's tech had freaked out and made them put the thing back in the van. They were already pissed off from having been broken down for half a day at the Mr. Waffle in Gaffney (across from the giant Peach water-tower familiar to all drivers on I-85 through the Carolinas), and this was the last straw.

Actually, the last straw was that The Subsonics were supposed to have shared the bill with them, but at the last minute the club-owner had substituted a band that the Asto-Men didn't like, a novelty thrash act called Super X-13. Consequently, all the Astros were in the most awful mood, shouting insults and throwing things at the audience. Somebody in the crowd (presumably members of Super X-13) started dumping stuff on the musicians -- chalk powder or baking flour or something -- making a huge mess onstage. The performance was chaotic and sloppy.

I think I still have some pictures I shot that night. I'll try to find 'em.

GREGORY NICOLL, Southern Surf Syndicate Agent # 44

Gaffney. I picked up a friend there last week. What a place to get broken down at.

So does Star Crunch play in any other bands now?

Sad Sadly, I have no idea at all what's become of Star Crunch.

I do have a vial of his DNA reserved for cloning purposes, though.

(BTW, I am dead serious about the latter. The Astros sold sets of their DNA at the merch table during their "Clones" tour. Weirdest souvenir I ever bought at a show.)

GREGORY NICOLL, Southern Surf Syndicate Agent # 44

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next