Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Star Crunch's Gear

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

Last time I saw them - a couple of months ago - the pedal board looked as follows:

Spaceman Saturn V Harmonic Booster (replaced the MXR Micro Amp) - VP Jr. - Sonic Research Tuner - EH Frequency Analyzer (as Simon pointed out - used for 'Antimatter Man') - MXR Tremolo - Sitori Sonics Tapeworm - Malekko Ekko 616 (Replaced the MXR Carbon Copy)

I have some VERY close up pictures of his board (including the notes he put on them with tape), as it was a small club and they put the board on stage before MOAM? entered the venue. If anyone is interested I can upload them.

The Hicadoolas

Last edited: Jun 06, 2014 06:14:50

This is what he used last night (june 5th 2014) in Eindhoven, Netherlands:

www.alohasluts.com
Aloha Sluts on BandCamp
www.arnyzona.com (my photography)
Aloha Fest on facebook

Yep, that's what I saw.

The Hicadoolas

Aha, so the Micro Synth is also gone again, and without any substitute. These changes actually make me wonder why Star Crunch even has all these effects, since only a few of them seem to be needed anyway. But then again I understand of course that it is nice to have some stuff to occassionally make some noise Wink

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

The Frequency Analyzer is only used in 'Antimatter Man' and the Tapeworm only at the end of the show to make some noise. The Saturn V is a always on pedal. The Trem gets some use in e.g. 'Defcon 1' and the Delay is used in some songs like 'Television Fission'. Actually it's not that much. Looks bigger than it is because of the VP Jr. and Tuner.
Btw, I've bought the Saturn V after the show and I really love it. Not an 'always on' pedal for me, but if I need to cut through the mix, this pedal is more powerful than any other booster and it adds some sweet grit, which can be dialed in.

The Hicadoolas

Thanks for sharing this, guys!

Here is a video of Crunch whith a gretch

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPwSn-MM9_c)

That was the guitar sound on all of those early MOAM? records...

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

killbabykill34 wrote:

That was the guitar sound on all of those early MOAM? records...

Yup, I think the 1000X EP was the last one where he mainly used the Gretsch.

The Hicadoolas

It's interesting how the lack of photos from the early days of the band in the end made the impression that all Star Crunch ever played was a Mosrite.

In a similar matter the Original Surfaris are often closely connected with the Fender Jazzmaster, since Larry Weed plays one on the photo that was used as the cover of the "Bombora" album and for the first part of the "Lost Legends of the Surf Guitar" compilations. However every other photo I have seen of the band so far shows Weed with a Stratocaster...

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

JakeDobner wrote:

I recall that page. It was a good one. And I don't think his Gretsch was a Tennessean. From the live video I have and the pictures I have seen it looks more like a 6120 Nashville not the 6119 Tennessean. The 6119 is red while the 6120 is, almost, always orange. Also the 6119 has a 25.5" scale length while the 6120 is 24.6". There are also other small things that leads me to my hypothesis.

It isn't conclusive since the lighting kind of sucks but it looks more like a 6120 to me.

Also he plays a Gretsch Sparkle Jet in the Sferic Waves video and I've seen it in videos. I love the sound he gets with those guitars. I own a 6118, same as the 6120 save for aesthetics, and I can't get that sound. I'm also not as good a guitarist as he was.

This is a really old thread but I just read it and watched the attached youtube video. That is for sure a Tennessean. You can tell because it has the thinner 2" body and the pickups are Hilo'trons not Filtertrons. The last giveaway is that you can see a 2 way switch near the volume knobs. Only the Tennessean has that and it's a kill switch basically. I am pretty sure you can see the F holes are painted on as well. Those model Tennesseans were shorter scale like the 6120.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018 18:51:27

Man, I somehow missed the 2014 thread bump with that old concert footage. Good stuff, and yes, that is the sound on all those early MoAM? records as Noah pointed out.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

2020 Update: Silverface Bandmaster Reverb Head, still using the Hallmark but switched to a customized Jazzmaster for 1 song. The pedalboard has changed, I have attached a photo from a bad angle, maybe someone can identify the new pedals? I assume there is a new delay, the Tapeworm is still there and the Ring Thing. There is a tuner and a moog expression pedal connected to something.

Oh, the delay is a Moog Minifooger delay, and that must be what the expression pedal is for.

Love MOAM. I'd quite like to see a run down of their stage props at some point. The baffle on that bandmaster is rad.

A couple years ago, I bought a Hallmark MOAM model C65, which I had to sell to pay for needed dental work. I was sorry that I hadda sell it; I originally bought it s I wouldn't hafta take my original '65 Mosrite Ventures on the gig.
I was lucky enough to find another Hallmark, a Custom 60, at a local music store (well, 100 miles away)& bought it very quickly. IMHO, the best guitar on the planet. Here is a pic of my Mosrite & Hallmark MOAM? And another pic of my Hallmark Custom 60

The red box with dual stompers appears to be a Zvex Super Duper. I have one on my board, very usable.

Thank You! I couldn't identify that one but I think you are correct, and that makes sense given what has been on his pedalboard in the past. That has also helped me identify the last pedal. I thought the red and the silver/gray pedal looked like they came from the same manufacturer. I believe it is a Zvex Sonar, which also makes sense since he has had a tremolo on the board in the past.

Toneschaser wrote:

The red box with dual stompers appears to be a Zvex Super Duper. I have one on my board, very usable.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020 08:08:11

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3