Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
331 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
258 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
258 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
178 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
157 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
125 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
119 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
80 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
13 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
13 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Steel Pier

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

You can find the original Morpheus on the "Get a Board" compilation on Satan records. There was a vinyl version that had 16 tracks, and then later they made a CD version and added some tracks (from another comp?). A random googling produced this:

http://www.swapacd.com/cd/album/267581-get+a+board

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

In all fairness - I think the Merrel Fankhauser videos are aimed a children - I bet my 3 year old niece would LOVE that "we love Tikis" song -

If they aren't aimed at kids, then I'd be worried.

I've watched some "wiggles" videos with her, and it's very similiar.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Brian
There was a vinyl version that had 16 tracks, and then later they made a CD version and added some tracks (from another comp?).

Yeah, the Get A Board CD is comprised of two earlier vinyl comps, Get A Board and Wail On The Beach.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Sonichris
In all fairness - I think the Merrel Fankhauser videos are aimed a children - I bet my 3 year old niece would LOVE that "we love Tikis" song -

If they aren't aimed at kids, then I'd be worried.

Laughing Yeah I was wondering if it was a kids' song myself. The agonizingly simple chord progression, the agonizingly soft tone of his voice, the agonizingly stupid lyrics--it has to be for kids, right?

But then again I don't know. Was the "Don't Give Up the Rock" song about struggling with crack addiction?

Klas

Brian
There was a vinyl version that had 16 tracks, and then later they made a CD version and added some tracks (from another comp?).

Yeah, the Get A Board CD is comprised of two earlier vinyl comps, Get A Board and Wail On The Beach.

yes, but they took off about 4 songs or so, from the 2 lps to get it to fit on the cd.
But I'm pretty sure that they were the worst songs if I remember correctly.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Really? Non of the comps have any worst songs Razz Haha, I just checked and you're right, two tracks from Wail On The Beach is missing and one from Get A Board.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

and are they killer songs or just so so???

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I went and compared the track lists and one of the missing Wail On The Beach tracks is definitely killer - "Bucket Seats" by The Rally-Packs. However, it's also included on the Toes On The Nose comp which might explain why they left it out for the CD.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Nebula3
...you'll have that shit in your head for weeks. ...
Sweet baby Jesus that's embarrassing.

Sonic Chris is probably right. This looks like "children's music" to me. Raffi, Hap Palmer, etc. When the kids were little we had an extensive collection of it on cassettes and video cassettes.

I think Hap Palmer is a bit better at it than Merrell Fankhauser, but I'd rather not do the research. I can still sing My Mommy Comes Back (She always comes back, she always comes back, she always comes back to get me. She never would forget me!) in my sleep. Raffi wasn't bad at times, either, but he didn't do videos, at least not back in the day, and Palmer did. Raffi had this take on Baa, Baa, Black Sheep which I thought was folklorically interesting ...

Anyway, the kids would watch them for hours and I didn't want to run puking from the room like I did with Barny. I could even sit with them, and keep them company, if they wanted. Help them sing along. (But usually, "Shh, Daddy, shh!") Maybe I'm a bit more tolerant of the stuff than some. Who knows? Occasionally Palmer would do one that I sort of figured was in there to keep the parents from revolting.

I'm a big fan of rushing through this MF/HP/R stage if it occurs at all to the next one which is playing more or less suitable real music. Anyone ever hear that album of rock & roll covers of Disney songs? Some of that was actually pretty cool. Now who was it that did Louie Prima's "I wanna be like you-oo-oo!"? I also remember that Gladys Knight and the Pips used to do a nice a capella train thing that was on one of the cassettes we had. I did get to the point where I could sort of take or leave the Banana song. Mostly leave. "Daylight come and me wanna go do something else now kids." (Hmm, how about this "Take this banana, and take it to the captain." Repeat. Repeat again molto impassionato and end with "Then you can tell him I'm gone, tell him I'm gone, and what to do with his banana!" Don't teach this one to your kids, though.)

Is that surf flute I hear?

I think not. But, though it's hard to do, it can be done. I kind of like Al Garcia & the Rhythm Kings' version of Moment of Truth, which substitutes Al's flute for the original trumpet. Odd, because Al was a trumpeter, too. However, there's another flute number (as opposed to Lute Number) that they did that was a little too trippy for me. It's OK once in a while, but not very often. It'd be OK maybe with another instrument in the lead. I don't remember the title. It's the one that goes "Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo-doo doot-doot! Doo-dooo-doo doooo-doo-doo! etc., etc."

Goto Page: Previous 1 2