Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
331 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
259 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
259 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
179 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
157 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
119 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
80 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
13 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
13 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The String thread

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 828 29 Next

I just put these monsters on my bass:

They are easily the smoothest flats I have ever used and they have an amazing acoustic sound as well. However, since they are enormous, it's taking me a few days to be able to play up to speed without getting handcramps.

I am super sweet
www.myspace.com/thetremblors

Richard
I'm fishing around for strings for the Guild Starfire I just bought off Fritz and I was wondering who makes a set of 11's with a wound G string.

The rotosound reds have a wound g. Great sounding strings.

Richard......DiAddario make 'em 11-49 with a wound 3rd.......ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Eddie, I just picked up three sets of the D'Addario, EXL115W. I've tried the Rotosound 12's, but didn't even think to look at the 11's. Thanks Jake.

Shaun, Labella Deep Talkin's are the nuts man. You'll get used to them, and it's worth it.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Richard
Shaun, Labella Deep Talkin's are the nuts man. You'll get used to them, and it's worth it.

Yeah, after playing them for about 10 hours this week, I'm already flying all over the fretboard. They sound amazing acoustically, but sound even better through my amp. And I absolutely love the incredibly thick A string. No more weak sounding strings!

I am super sweet
www.myspace.com/thetremblors

I've just started trying out the Thomastik Infeld .12 Jazz/Swing flats. Very nice strings. The tone is much better than Chromes IMHO.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009 18:32:27

But man, those TI's are pricey...

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Yeah, they're a little steep. I figured, if they blow me away, then it would be worth it.

Ryan

My Strat came with round, but I've always played flats so D'addario ECG24's are my fav. I had to set up the guitars I have a little different to use them but I like the sound they have.

Mel

I've been using Thomastiks Swing Flats for a while, but noticed the source of my ice-picky sound-i have to turn up the treble in order for the lower notes to sound good, but by that time, the higher notes are screeching!! so i need something with a brighter lower end.

also, they didn't have nickel flats back in the day, all they had was stainless steel Fender, La Bella, and such.

i think i may try La Bella...seeing as i'd rather die than use Fender strings. they make excellent guitars, but i'm a but wary of using their strings.

any other flats that are close to the way they were made in the 60's?

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

JoshHeartless
any other flats that are close to the way they were made in the 60's?

Josh, give the Pyramid Gold's a shot. I've been comparing them vs. the TIs lately and although both are excellent strings, I find that I like the tone from the Pyramids just a bit more. I find the TIs give a darker tone, while the Pyramids have a more billiant and "alive" tone if that makes any sense.

They're Ka-Ching!!! that's for sure, but man do they sound good! I play the .13s because they don't make .12s and the .11s are too light for me, so that's one thing to consider... They are definitely stiffer (more tension) than the TIs.

Good luck.

Ryan

FWIW: Wronski plays with chromes, a good enough endorsement for me.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

First post. AWESOME site.

Quick question--will a wound G (.024) from a flatwound 12 set fit a '62 AVRI nut without filing it wider?

Thanks!

it generally should be fine, but that's just me. you'll hear a lot of people on here talk about how filing the nut is the most important preparation when going up to bigger strings, but as I've said before, i put 13's on my jag within 5 minutes of owning the guitar, and they went on perfectly and i didn't even touch they nut at all...so i don't think it's necessary.

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

I've had no issues whatsoever going up to .13 guage flats on my JM. I didn't have to do anything to the nut. I have a '62 AVRI JM as well.

Ryan

Excellent. Thanks for the answers. 12 flats it is.

I think I have experimented with just about everything, over the years--but, in the end I always preferred pure nickel flats in most cases. I put 13's on a Jag, but have them backed down to 12's now, and am thinking about backing them down to 10's on my JM. I use TI strings, although I love Pyramids, which I have on a Ric 660-12. They seem more high tension to me than TI's, and my hands are not getting any stronger or tougher. Just the reverse. Gotta protect them, now. Look what happened to Phantom Frank! It can happen to you!

I expecially like their flat Plectrum strings on my Taylor--and I even put their flat nylon strings on my flamenco guitar. Yes, that is not a joke. The D and A strings are flatwound. Sweet.

I also love the Rotosound strings, but don't use them too much. They sound good on a Strat, too me. Better than flats.

Seymour Glas
The Iterators

Am I the only one who has tuning problems with D'Addario Chromes, specifically Jazz Mediums? They're going out of whack after about five minutes of continuous playing. This hasn't happened with any other strings, but this is the first time I've used flatwounds with this heavy a gauge. Could it just be the tuners (Standard Tele MIM stock)? I did have to widen the nut.

seamoor
I think I have experimented with just about everything, over the years--but, in the end I always preferred pure nickel flats in most cases. I put 13's on a Jag, but have them backed down to 12's now, and am thinking about backing them down to 10's on my JM. I use TI strings, although I love Pyramids, which I have on a Ric 660-12. They seem more high tension to me than TI's, and my hands are not getting any stronger or tougher. Just the reverse. Gotta protect them, now. Look what happened to Phantom Frank! It can happen to you!

I expecially like their flat Plectrum strings on my Taylor--and I even put their flat nylon strings on my flamenco guitar. Yes, that is not a joke. The D and A strings are flatwound. Sweet.

I also love the Rotosound strings, but don't use them too much. They sound good on a Strat, too me. Better than flats.

Seymour Glas
The Iterators

What happened to Phantom Frank !? Did he get arthritis or something similar?

Augusto Vite

www.facebook.com/carne.y.cosas

He got RSI. mind you, in his fretting hand, not the trempick hand. He says himself that it's from learning bad technique, rather than overplaying, and I seem to remember reading it was from his clasical playing rather than his surf playing. (he's been playing classical guitar since he was 2 ft high).

Id be surprized if the string thickness had anything to do with it, it's repetetive motions in the wrong position causing it, and also it's a tendon problem, not a muscular problem. by the same token, you dont need much muscle to operate keyboards and mouses. but eitherway, choosing a gauge that's comfy to you is the way to go anyway afaic.

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 828 29 Next