Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
114 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
1 day ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The String thread

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 728 29 Next

dp
Klas:
I'm a big fan of Pyramid Gold Flatwounds .013-.052
www.juststrings.com

thanks for the link!
Just now I was searching to find Pyramid 13s!
Thanks!

PS: I'd like to try them as until now I was playing with Fender flat 12s. Locally I can find only Fender flats and Chromes, and not above 12s.

Aren't Pyramids a little bit expensive? Rolling Eyes

Every word is like an unecessary stain on silence and nothingness.

spy
Aren't Pyramids a little bit expensive? Rolling Eyes

The Pyramid Gold do cost some money, but I was able to locate them in bulk on the Ebay: about US$12.00 per set. I bought 3 sets at that price.

But, they seem to last forever: the first set I installed on the Jazzmaster has lasted over a year. I play about 2 hours each week...not too much compared to some on this list. The Pyramid Golds flats have great feel, sound and durability...

For round wounds, I use the Rotosounds Grey.

Also on bass, I use Rotosound Nickel Round Wound.

great site, dp!
I'm searching almost all the strings and WTF! There are a lot of strings out there!
I need 13s so there are Pyramids, DR, Thomastic, GHS, Chromes and LaBella! Has anyone tried LaBella?!

hehe.. they have a set with 14, 18, 36, 46, 56, 67! and they said they're black nylon! (they're black?!?!)
OMG, what will happen to my Jag's neck if I'll place them! haha... hmmm or are these for a baritone or something similar?!

Anyway, I'm a little bit confused. I found Pyramids a little bit expensive. $12.00 is great! but $25....
I like Chromes cause they have 35, 45, 56 instead of the common 34, 44, 54.
However, now I'm at 32, 42, 52 so maybe I must try 34, 44, 54 before going higher.
What do you suggest me guys?

EDIT: Crying Crying Crying
Shipping outside US is $35.00!

dp
Klas:

Yeah, me too. I use Pyramid Golds on almost all my other guitars.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Klas

dp
Klas:

Hey Klas,
From where do you buy them! I need a European seller.....

thomann.de ....10-something a set

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

also bookmark lordofthestrings.com .... they carry rotosound and labella (and a lot of others but no pyramids) and for many instruments. just in case you break a string on your oud, bouzouki or dulcimer ... Smile

Rules to live by #314:

WR
thomann.de ....10-something a set

haha.... when you post this I was searching thomann's website!
Yes, they have them at 12euro/set!

Edit: lordofthestrings? I'll visit it now! Thanks WR!

spy
Crying Crying Crying
Shipping outside US is $35.00!

Holy cow! That shipping is brutal!
I'm sure you can find Pyramid in the EU for much less...

spy

Klas

dp
Klas:

Hey Klas,
From where do you buy them! I need a European seller.....

From either Thomann or Saitenkatalog. The latter has cheaper shipping.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

thanks Klas!
Saitenkatalog has them at 12.40 euro!

I'll order the Pyramid Gold True Vintage .013- .056
Hope I'll love them...

Klas
The latter has cheaper shipping.

yeah, Thoman has a flat rate for everything (it's 8 euros to NL, depends on your country)

excellent if you're buying two marshall full stacks, not so good if you order one set of strings Smile

Rules to live by #314:

I use 11 flatwounds with the two highest stings 10 gauge earnie balls

Bear in mind that my comments/questions are based on high-school physics and geometry, not so much from real-world experience with strings.

Round core constructed string offer better harmonics, longer string vibrations, better tone and longer string life. Pyramid is about the only company offering a true round core, pure nickel wrapped strings. These are exact to the specs they used originally from the late `40’s thru the 1960’s and feature a small core and large wrap.

I was wondering if the "thin core / large wrap" design results in a string that is easier to bend, while keeping the mass-per-inch up to keep the frequency lower for a given tension. I'm thinking that the "bendability" is mostly a function of the thinness of the core wire because the wrap is essentially a spring-like helix, contributing little to the tensile strength. Is there anything to that, or am I missing something?

Lonion65
I strung my Epiphone with D'Addario Chromes .11's for the first time last night. I went with the 11's because I was told that the flatwounds will feel stiffer than the rounds. So far I like them and I will move up to 12's in the future.

That brings up another thing I was wondering about. I'm currently using a set of D'Addario flatwound Chromes.
The package sez "High Finish Ribbon Wound / Extra Light Gauge", (.010 to .048).
If .011 to .013 is considered the heavier range, how is .010 "extra light"?
There's also "D'Addario Chromes Stainless Steel Flat Wound Electric Guitar Strings Jazz Light .011-.050".

Then there's the D'Addario XL Pro-Steels "Regular Light Gauge" rounds set, also .010 - .046.

Their "Jazz Medium" set of ProSteel rounds go .013 - .056, while the "Light Top / Heavy Bottom" set goes .010 - .056.

The .056 is both "Light" and "Heavy", depending on the style? What's up with that?

Does the "light/medium/heavy" designation refer to the mass per inch (which would depend on density of the alloys, diameter and construction), or the diameter alone, or something more to do with flexibility and/or stretchiness?

My point being: Is there some sort of "fudge-factor" involved in gauge differences between flat-wounds versus round-wounds? If so, which way does it go? Lonion65's comment suggests that flatwounds feel stiffer than rounds with the same diameters, but D'addario's labeling suggests otherwise. Or is the "stiffness" not a factor in the "light/heavy" business?

Lonion65: by "stiffness", do you mean how easy or hard it is to bend notes?

edited later:
It would seem to me that flatwounds could be made with thinner outside diameters because there is no "wasted space" between wraps resulting from the roundness of the wrapping wire. (Like packing tin cans instead of boxes.) Most of the mass of the flat wrap is closer to the core wire. If the core is round instead of hexagonal, the overall string cross section should be even denser.

From that, it should follow that a flatwound string of the same diameter and length as a roundwound string must be tuned tighter than the round in order to get the same frequency.

Does that account for the perceived stiffness that Lonion65 mentions?

I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

planish
Does the "light/medium/heavy" designation refer to the mass per inch (which would depend on density of the alloys, diameter and construction), or the diameter alone, or something more to do with flexibility and/or stretchiness?

wow, you've given this a lot of thought. I think light to heavy simply means thin to thick, and what gauge is called what is more of a marketing thing, depending on which market the product is aiming. hence, for flats the primary market is jazzplayers and for them, 012/013 would be considered normal, so 011 and 010 are light to extra light. the same with strings for accoustics. yet for the average electric player, 009 or 010 would be normal, hence 013 is very heavy. anyway, I think that's how it works.

Rules to live by #314:

WR
wow, you've given this a lot of thought.

Yes. I'm thinking of presenting a paper to the Canadian Journal of Physics, and title it "A Grand Unified String Theory". Wink
There may be a trip to Stockholm in it for me.

Seriously, I imagine you're right. The labeled "lightness" or "heaviness" is probably in the context of the intended instrument and/or style of music. Like the discrepancy between men's and women's shoe sizes.

On second thought, maybe I should choose the more musical title of "Grand Unified Theory of Strings" = "GUT Strings".

I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

planish
On second thought, maybe I should choose the more musical title of "Grand Unified Theory of Strings" = "GUT Strings".

Now, that's a paper that should be published! Wink

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Sorry, but I've got a total rookie question here - I just picked up a Gretsch hollowbody guitar. I bought it mostly for looks, but I'm trying to learn how to play again. What kind of strings should I get for it? I'm really starting from the beginning, so strings that sound good and are comfortable to play are what I'm looking for. My main instruments in the past have been bass and keys, and back in college why I kinda taught myself 6 string I usually just borrowed a guitar from a bandmate or roommate - I've never had one of my own until now. I guess I can just ask at a local shop, but any recommendations here would be helpful

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

I like .11 roundwounds on my gretsch. D'Addario are cheap and what I started on and they aren't bad. DR cost a buck or two more and are a lot better. Rotosounds are harder to find but they are great as well.

I should point out I have .12s on my gretsch now and I'm not happy with how heavy they feel.

I'm fishing around for strings for the Guild Starfire I just bought off Fritz and I was wondering who makes a set of 11's with a wound G string.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 728 29 Next