PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
195 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
173 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
141 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
135 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
96 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
29 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
29 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
15 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

92%

92%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink What type of schooled musical education do you Have?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Hi all...
Since joining this web site, I've listened to many of your music samples here during the last few days, most are truely superb!
So now I am wondering how many here have a musical education?
ie. college as opposed to self taught.

none at all. A friend who took lessons should me a few things. I am almost entirely self taught.

I had guitar lessons in third grade for awhile. I played the recorder and flute in fifth grade for a while. In college, I had "Music Theory 101", you know, the basics of sight reading and chord construction and all that...

But, basically, it's just been me and Mel Bay working out the guitar and bass parts since about 1980 or so....

4th grade recorder.

Guitar lessons from 3rd grade through most of high school, plus two "rock and roll summer camps".
High school band and jazz band (which is where I picked up my tuba skills)
College: 2 years of big band, 1 year of jazz combo, one year of concert band, jazz theory, and a course in music business.

~B~

self taught and have attended national guitar workshop several times (lots of theory and chances to perform on stage)

www.surfintheeye.com

I dated a flautist in high school.

modern accoustic guitar lessons (fingerstyle) and (seperate class) musical theory from age 14-18.

WR

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Trumpet from elementary through high school. Piano lessons from well known local keyboardist (played with Alex Chilton among others) for a couple years. Self taught on the guitar....well, I had one lesson. This guy was classic, had the 80's hair going on bigtime. He was bragging about all the 16 year old ass he was getting. Blah Blah I was so impressed, I never went back.

Danny Snyder

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

Playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Formerly a guitarist in The TomorrowMen and Meshugga Beach Party

Latest surf project - Now That's What I Call SURF

Lessons from a private teacher ages 13-15. Studied Harmony and Theory in High School Classes. Performed with choirs, bands and other groups since the age of 10 including theater productions through college years. Studied with a Jazz group and played with a local College Big Band. Played in the Jazz orchestra in High School. Playing an Explorer copy through a Hiwatt sort of turned it into a Jazz/Rock Big Band years before Brian Setzer. Took a few Classical lessons from a very good player from Chile.

High School Band Pic. Me with a 1968 Gretsch that was about a year old at the time.

There is Surf east of Sepulveda.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2006 20:52:26

I played recorder, triangle, and wood blocks in elementary school. The things I play now are self-taught.

1 semester of Classical guitar in 9th Grade, but I had to ride across town, and it was winter so I stopped going.
6 years of choir. yeah yeah I know, I don't look like a choir boy.
but I was. but hey I sang bass, so back off. Embarassed
oh and 1 year of Barbershop Quartet after I graduated HS.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

2 years of band in Jr Hs. Played trumpet.

Cool totally self taught. one guy showed me about barring e chords and i figured out the rest of the barrechords. sat down and learned some surf stuff note for note.. dick dale and such. learned scales from the yardbirds records. mostly played for hours everyday. after awhile i grokked the guitar!! remember this--the guitar is a folk instrument and is designed to be easy to learn to play and easy to play. been playing for 42 years or so. still love it!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

Self taught. Started with drums to guitar to keyboards and still play them all. I couldn't learn stuff from guys cause i'm lefthanded and play upside down. I can learn stuff pretty fast if ya just let me hear it a couple times. I'm mostly a drummer/singer (gasp!) but in The TakeOffs i play guitar. I been playin' since 1964. Cool

The TakeOffs
"Kauai's Only All-Instrumental Surf Band"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-TakeOffs/312866840587

5 years private piano lessons (Age 3-8.)
6 years professional violin lessons (Age 9-16.) 2 years on a scholarship studying under the Czech concert violinist Joza Karas (who, in 2006 is STILL teaching young violinists!) at the Hart College of Music in Hartford, CT.
2nd Violin Jr. High and High School Orchestra
3 years recorder lessons
School Chorus from 3rd to 6th Grade
Started guitar in 1968 at 15, Self-Taught with the invaluable aid of several Chord Books, and some "Play Guitar With The Ventures" LP's!!!

Bruce D

Personally, I'm self-taught.

-

Last edited: Mar 03, 2022 02:24:18

Started with beginner gtr lessons at 14
Got my degree in Jazz guitar studies 1984-88
Lessons/masterclasses with David Tronzo, Debashish Battacharya, and many others.
Always learning, always teaching.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Two years of trumpet lessons when I was in high school. I ended up playing trumpet in my college marching and concert bands all 4 years.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004, 2024-)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Goto Page: 1 2 Next