Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
248 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
248 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
168 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
115 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
108 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
69 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Suitable Guitar for Surf, Blues & Rockabilly

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4

zak

estreet
While I don't deny that such amps may be 'more interesting' than modern amplifiers I'd say they were a bad idea if you are not technically proficient at fixing them. 40-50 year old valve amps are not going to be incredibly reliable and you'll be looking at some hefty bills if you can't keep them going yourself.

That is a very paranoid view.
Regular maintenance and upkeep is not going to amount to "hefty bills" if you have to pay someone else to do it - neither is a cap job. The only really expensive component in an amp is the transformer. I have a LOT of amps, and none of them are younger than I am, they all get gigged regularly and none of them have ever caused me enough grief to justify a statement like the quote above. The vast majority of amps I own never needed anything aside from a cap job - you do change the oil in your car from time to time don't you? Maybe everyone should ride bicycles to keep the "hefty bills" down?
Rolling Eyes

All signs point to these amps being in service long after modern stuff is landfill. To top it off it is cheaper to fix than new stuff when something goes wrong. But hey...whatever...buy what you want, play what you want...more cool old stuff for me to enjoy.

Well everyone has their own concept of 'hefty bills' don't they. I don't know about Canada but here an amp-repair guy will charge at least 100$ an hour excluding parts. Doesn't worry me, I can fix my own but not everyone can or wants to.

If you have a 'lot' of amps and gig them 'all' regularly then you sound like someone who can't find a sound he's happy with....

Maybe everyone should ride bicycles to keep repair bills down? maybe they should ... maybe you could find an 'old and cool' one.

What did you do with your life before you had SG101 to snap back sarcastic replies to everyone with a different view to you? I think it probably provides a public service in absorbing all your free-floating anger.

http://www.myspace.com/thepashuns

Youth and enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

I'm going to back Zak up here. A modern tube amp is going to need the same amount of maintenance as an old one. And when a modern one, with PCB construction, breaks it is going to cost more to repair than an old hand-wired tube amp.

In 5 years of owning and using 3 old tube amps I've only ever had to change filter caps on two of them(because the previous owners put in crap much like would be used standard in new amps) and I've re-tubed the power tubes on two of them and pre-amp tubes on one of them.

It isn't a lot of money into something that is going to accrue value and stick around for a long time. And then there is the issue of tone.

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009 00:10:33

zak

gavrrr
... or a Harmony 415 with the two 12" Jensens, that's a whole lot more amp within the same kind of budget. ... The Harmony H415 would be my personal choice, however...a lot of folks associate Harmony with "cheap" but their amps were made by Valco...see how much an equivalent Valco-made mid-60s 2x12 Supro or Gretsch amp goes for these days - about 3 or 4 times what the Harmony-branded equivalent goes for even though it is the same chassis in a cabinet with different cosmetics...if you wanted something modern with comparable tone you'll be paying a few grand for a Matchless. I just picked up a Harmony H525 for $450...check out what an identical Supro Thunderbolt goes for nowadays...$1200-$1800 - yikes!
Valco tone FTW!

Zak, I agree with your advice, but just want to clarify that in the '50s-'60s era the only Valco-made Harmony models were the 4xx and 5xx series, and many of the Harmony amps one sees for sale on eBay are indeed not Valco products. The common 3xx series amps (with the light blue faceplates) and the rarer 2xx series are not Valco-made, and were most likely sourced from Sound Projects/Lectrolab (and fine on their own merits). The early 1xx series are harder to pinpoint.

There is a lot of misinformation out there on what is and isn't a Valco. For example, Rob Roberge has an article on MyRareGuitars.com which IDs Harmony H210, H306a and Kay 6V6 amps as Valco-made, but he is wrong on all three counts. One of these days I'll start a blog called "That's Not A Valco".

zak
I searched high and low for a source of clued-out misinformation and opinion-passed-off-as-fact the likes of which you provide. Laughing
Are you sure "treachery" in your tagline wouldn't be best replaced with "turbidity" or even better - "turgidity"?

Oh so biting... haha. Well then you found it.

'Opinion-passed-off-as-fact the likes of which you provide' That's just pathetic. We're talking about musical equipment - it's all subjective man! It's all opinion! You, nor I can say something sounds definitively good or bad - it's in the ear of the listener. I pass off opinion as fact no more or less than you do. I'm just less unpleasant about it.

Turbidity? I think I'm pretty clear in my opinions.
Turgidity? I don't drone on half as much as you.
My guess is you had to look up 'treachery' in the dictionary, found those other words and thought you'd try to use them.

http://www.myspace.com/thepashuns

Youth and enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009 00:10:46

Some heated debate going on guys. But it is good to hear the differing opinions. So I won't join in on that part.

Thanks Estreet for the for the specific advice on the Laney I liked & the Peavey that you like. I was planning a trip to the big smoke to try some gear out at shops who actually have what I want under one roof.

I have found an Ampeg as follows on Ebay in my country selling for US$300. But I'd have to risk it as I can't try it out. This is what the seller says about it..

This is an AMPEG GT-10 from around the mid 70s. I always though it meant it was a 10W amp despite sounding much louder, but I've since found out it refers to the speaker size; the amp is apparently about 15W (I have done small gigs with it on half volume to give you an idea).
Good condition. All completely original; Has a 10" CTS speaker & a spring reverb tank. It's a SS amp, but it's incredibly warm & the overdrive is quite creamy; totally unreminesent of early SS amp overdrive. On half volume, it's clean with just a hint of breakup & sounds lovely. Goes great with a Tele!!

This site here http://www.tymguitars.com.au/forsale_amps_01.htm has a lot of vintage gear. It's the best site for old stuff I've found so far in Au.

Keep up with the comments & advice guys

Gavin

Hi Guys

After all the good advice I've gotten from you all I've made a purchase. I deliberated a fair bit but the most common thread from this forum was a Strat.

So I looked into the types of strat style guitars available. I can't justify the money on a genuine US Strat so I went to a couple of shops & tried a Squier Vintage Modified at one place then at another shop I tired a Mexican made Strat & a Squier Classic Vibe 60's back to back. When I first tried the Vintage Mod I found it really tricky to find my way around the Fret board. It just felt too slippery to me. This guitar has a maple fretboard which is varnished.

But when I tried the Mexican Strat & the Squier Classic Vibe 60's, these 2 guitars have a rosewood fretboard, I found this much easier & much more similar to my Acoustic guitar that I'm used to. So I preferred the Rosewood. I kept swapping the Mex Strat & the Squier & decided I preferred the feel of the Squier. So that's what I've bought. A Squier Strat Classic Vibe 60's which has the rosewood fretboard. I was able to get a really good price at another shop but they are out of stock in the Sunburst colour I like so I'm waiting for it to come into stock which could be a few weeks which is a bummer. But this shop is almost $200 cheaper than other shops and I'm getting a Fender Moulded Hard Case & a stand as well.

The shop where I tried the 2 Strats were directiing me towards a Peavey Envoy amp. I didn't particularly like the sound of this amp. Previously at my local shop I'd heard the Fender G-Dec 30 amp. This amp is a modelling amp but it also has a drum machine built into it. Before you write me off as an idiot I'll tell you a bit about this amp. When the shops demo these amps they are keen to show it's drum & backing tracks & also it's recording ability. The backing tracks sound pretty cheesy so this would turn a lot of more serious musos off them. They do sound pretty ordinary.

But these G-Dec amps also have loads of effects pedals built into them. There are loads of preset styles which choose an amp style, effects, reverb, timbre etc. But you are able to change all these settings & save your preferences as a customised style. As well as totally create your own setup. There are 50 presets & you can save 50 personal styles as well.

On top of this, I really liked the sound of the amp. It was at the top of my amp budget but when you consider it has amp styles, pedals, recording ability, drum machine all built in I consider it a good purchase. To get the Surf sound I wanted I was going to need to buy a pedal which as you all know cost a few bucks. Then I was going to need a Rockabilly setup as well. So buying pedals was going to blow more money.

You can also upload songs to the amp, plug in an MP3 player to play along with as well. They are a good amp & well worth considering. Even if you only use a backing beat as a metronome it saves you getting a basic drum machine for this which alone are not cheap.

So that's what I've bought guys. The Squier Strat Clasic Vibe 60's & the Fender G-Dec 30. Thanks for all your help & advice. I can't wait to get my hands on the new guitar. In the meantime I've loaned from a friend an old Aria hollowbody to have a play with. I'm using my acoustic the most though while I get my hands back in the swing of things. My finger tips are hardening up nicely.

Congratulations, Gavin! I'm sure you'll be real happy with your choices. Thumbs Up

Be sure to try out the strat you ordered before you take possession. Guitars of the same model, strats included, vary a lot from guitar to guitar. I've played and heard "dogs" among the most very expensive US made strats (even vintage ones), just as I've heard great ones among the least expensive Squiers.

The G-Decs are cool amps. There's at least one thread here with some very positive reviews of G-Decs. The main thing I remember about reading these reviews was how the owners of the G-Decs reported having had so much fun with them. For practice and home use, they offer a lot of cool features and bang-for-the-buck.

Enjoy you new acquisitions!

Bob

Bob

I havent played a classic vibe strat but we just had a classic vibe tele in and i thought it was really cool. I made my brother buy it so i didnt half to.

like Robbie said
PLAY IT BEFORE YOU LEAVE
they are all diffrent.

Give me reverb or give me death!
facebook.com/onenightstandards
https://www.youtube.com/scotstandard
scotstandard@yahoo.com

Grats man, play the hell out of it now! And ditto what they said, the US and Mexico don't have the quality control standards Japan had back in the 80's & 90's, so don't get too married to a particular finish, try em all out when they arrive.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

revhank
I would add a Danelectro to the list, especially an original one. The only thing you'd be missing is a whammy (on most models). I find the hollow body to be a great asset for tone, and love the sound of the original lip stick tube pick ups.

Rev

Yeah, I think Rev has an idea. You could get a Strat for most of the tones and styles everyone is talking about, and add a Danelectro for more Rockabilly tones. The Dan would be an inexpensive addition to the Strat. Wink

Sorry to dredge up a old topic but I have good luck with a P-90 in my Junior Jet, Also have good luck whit my Ibanez Artcore, both have the twang needed for both rockabilly and with some good reverb will do good for surf, and the price is very affordable!

Thanks for the feedback P-90jjet. I did see an Artcore at the local Secondhand shop & I was very impressed with it's finish. Very sleek indeed.
I've had the Squier almost a year now & it's going well & I've been very happy with it

There are few things, IMO, that sound better than a Gretsch equipped with Dynasonics.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedeadranchhands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZEW74mHjQk

just wondering - does anyone ever play or have played an ES 335 (semi-hollow BB king) style guitar for surf music? I know they don't usually have the whammy bar on them but just wondering if it could be done.
heard some people saying that you can get quite a twangy sound from them depending on the pickup selection and amp...
is there any truth in that?
thanks!

Deke Dickerson played one in Untamed Youth.

SSIV

brunopietoso
just wondering - does anyone ever play or have played an ES 335 (semi-hollow BB king) style guitar for surf music? I know they don't usually have the whammy bar on them but just wondering if it could be done.
heard some people saying that you can get quite a twangy sound from them depending on the pickup selection and amp...
is there any truth in that?
thanks!

I've played an ES-355 for surf. It was my favorite guitar I played for that style. Granted I no longer have interest in achieving the traditional surf tone for myself.

You can find one with a Bigsby B7 to put on one or you can put a B6 on a stop tail piece model.

Deke's 335 had a coil tap on it.

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

Hey guys, thanks for that... it does seem like it's something to think about.
Reason is I could see throughout some other posts that people's guitars were mainly strats, jaguars etc... I was just a bit curious but I guess it does seem like it's something to think about

Jake, yeah I guess the Bigsby could be a plus to have to achieve a bit of the traditional sound...

Thanks!!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4