Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink The Madeira, The Cocktail Preachers-Champaign, IL-May 30

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

Wow, thanks to all for the pics and vids. Wish I had been there!

Don

This is Corey from Oshkosh and to the Madeira it was well worth the 11 hour round trip for this show. While I greatly enjoyed the Indy show which I drove 14 hours round trip, this show was one of the finest I have seen. I have seen Dick Dale 5 or 6 times, Los Straitjackets 12 or 13 times, Link Wray 2 times, the Exotics 2 times, Knuckledragger 4 times, the Mermen 2 times, Slacktone (which I drove 24 hours round trip to see), the Coffin Daggers, and a slew of other bands in other genres. This was easily a top five show that I have been to. The atmosphere was terrific as noted, and the attendants of the show made it a party like atmosphere. It seems the bachelorette party may have had part in that when they asked me to start dancing.... I've always dreamed of going to a dance club that played just instro surf music (and this is probably the closest I will come to it) and tried to show the proper amount of enthusiasm for such a great show without upstaging the band. My ears rang for hours after the show, something that hadn't happened since I seen Link Wray back in '97. I wish the Midwest would have more shows like this, but I guess I will have to keep driving long distances to see the bands I like. Kristen seemed was pretty cool too, considering one of the bachelorettes seemed to think we were a couple simply because we were both from Wisconsin.

I hear about this Lollapalooza thing going on in Chicago in August. How about a Surfapalooza instead for all the surf starved away from the coasts?

Hey Corey, sorry I didn't say hi. You were the guy with the straw hat?

It seems like every other year recently there has been a Chicago Exotica show. Haven't heard about one this year though.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Sounds like a killer show. Bring it to the west coast!

Radio Free Bakersfield--60 Minutes of TWANG, CRUNCH, OOMPH.
http://radiofreebakersfield.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Radio-Free-Bakersfield/172410279636
http://www.sandiegojoe.com/rfb.htm

Whorehay,
The Maderia was here last year,
they played the night show after the sg101 convention,
oh but you left.

and they played the HB pier,
oh but you didn't go to that.

tsk tsk
Rolling Eyes

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Thanks to everyone for all the nice comments, especially Corey - very nice to see you again! And thanks so much to Brian and Jet for posting the videos. I'm just lovin' them! In fact, strangely enough, the video of the crowd dancing to Night Rider is my favorite one! We've never been a band that set out to play the music that will get people dancing - but I gotta say that seeing all those beautiful chicas having such a good time and getting the guys to do some feet-shuffling, too, is pretty damn cool! This just doesn't happen very often in the US - or maybe just to us! Well, no, I've seen enough surf shows to know it doesn't really happen often, period. This looked more like a scene from one of the Treble Spankers or the Phantom Four shows! This was a VERY special show. Looking back at the last five years of the Madeira, a handful of shows really stand out for me, among them Hotel Utah in San Fran in '06, The Pier at Huntington Beach in '08, and now Champaign, IL. My deep thanks to Jet and the entire Surfabilly crew as well as the Cocktail Preachers for making this an unforgettable night! Now I'm REALLY psyched up for Italy!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Duh

Radio Free Bakersfield--60 Minutes of TWANG, CRUNCH, OOMPH.
http://radiofreebakersfield.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Radio-Free-Bakersfield/172410279636
http://www.sandiegojoe.com/rfb.htm

As for the straw hat, yes that was me. A guy with Puerto Rican ancestry told me it was a Puerto Rican farmer hat, as the straw on the ends of the hat was frizzled out. Thought it would help me fit in with the whole tiki thing, as well as make a conversation piece of sorts. As for the show, I will say it again, an absolutely fabulous show. A friend I met at the Three Kings Slacktone show in Denver was envious as I gloated to him over the phone how great it was. At work Monday I was told by co-workers not to work so fast and enthusiastically, but unfortunately I had "Rolling Thunder" rolling around my head much of the day causing me to do 3 hours work in like 45 minutes or something.

I've heard of that festival in Chicago but have never made it. In all honesty I'm not as schooled in the newer surf bands as I was in the late '90's, but probably need to take some time to get re-initiated. There are still quite a few bands I haven't seen that I would like to see, but maybe someday I can go out to California to see a bunch of them. I would really like to see Jon and the Nightriders and the Atlantics, as their stuff has the energy that would transfer greatly to a live setting. Don't know if that will happen, although I never thought I would see Davie Allan either and I saw him last year twice. Smile

IvanP
Looking back at the last five years of the Madeira, a handful of shows really stand out for me, among them Hotel Utah in San Fran in '06, The Pier at Huntington Beach in '08, and now Champaign, IL.

Very Happy We're just happy to be in there somewhere! Who'd have ever thought, eh?

Unfortunately, there will be no Chicago Exotica in '09. There are rumblings that the event, or a variation thereof, may be planned for 2010.

There are a couple of events on the horizon that will give you another chance to see the Cocktail Preachers as well as Springfield, IL's Go! Tsunami:

July 25-26: The 33rd Anniversary of Chef Shangri-La (North Riverside, IL - west of Chicago).

August 15: Surf Ohio FesTiki (Carillon Park - Dayton, OH)

I will start separate threads for these.

Thanks to all for the kind words about the Beach Riot. It was truly a blast! Korn-Tiki is resting peacefully now - after all of the smoke-belching ruckus (he lays on his side in the hallway outside my office at work and is quite the conversation piece). He is looking forward to the day where he will once again awaken and help whip an unsuspecting crowd into a dancing frenzy!

Safe travels Ivan - have a great Italian tour!!!

Jet Sterling, Cosmic Spy
www.surfabillyfreakout.com

Just rewatched these videos. God damn, so amazing.

Science friction burns my fingers.

I thought I would post I neglected to tell how great the Cocktail Preachers were as well, although I made the trip especially for the Madeira. I will probably attend the Cocktail Preacher's show in Milwaukee tomorrow as they are definitely worth seeing again.

Yes, as good as the CP videos are that I got, they played some even better stuff. I really dug Moment of Truth, Yuzo's Twist, and their originals.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3