Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink The Madeira, The Cocktail Preachers-Champaign, IL-May 30

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

You deserve it my good man. I need one too, but I want to unload these pics from my camera.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Okay, so I have some time to kill while these photos unload.

I got down to Mike & Molly's about the same time the Madeira arrived. I did not know it was going to be an outdoors show until I arrived in Champaign and read this thread. Mike & Molly's is a small bar in an old building, but they have an outdoor beer garden in the form of a missing building next door. I was truly impressed at the stage and the giant Tiki head mounted above it when I first saw it.

It was great seeing old friends the Madeira and Phil & Steve from the Cocktail Preachers. Also Surfabilly Matt had just arrived, apparently barely due to automobile trouble. I also met Kristen, who drove down from Milwaukee. She was apparently the original Space Cossacks super fan from back in the day, and has seen the Space Cossacks tons of times.

I got to meet Jet again. I saw him last a few years ago in Chicago. I had forgotten how tall Jet is. He literally is 10 feet tall and he towers over everyone like he is on stilts. And he was truly a king among men for the show he organized that night. More on this.

So the Madeira, Matt, myself and Kristen wander in search of food, and there are many cool and trendy hip restaurants in the area. So we ended up at a Mexican place called Cowboy Monkey. We ate outside under an umbrella, and had a lot of fun talking. But then the feared rain hit, and soon it was absolutely pouring. It started coming through the umbrella, so we had to scurry inside. Luckily the rain soon subsided, and just in time because a blues band that Zak would have loved was about to start playing at Cowboy Monkey. Next time guys.

The Cocktail Preachers and Surfabilly Freakout crew had put tarps over their gear, and the radar said no more storms were coming through, so the show went on outside.

Now about the stage. As I said, there was a giant "Corn Tiki" above the stage, and his eyes lit up and smoke bellowed forth from his mouth at opportune moments. Awesome! And the stage was lit with these really cool LED light panels, so they got a ton of nice effects going. Everything looked and sounded so freaking great. Nice job to Jet and crew!

Phil told me the Cocktail Preachers were doing something different tonight. My first clue was not seeing Bruce (Vitamin-B). In fact there were 2 new faces. Apparently the drummer and bass player from Phil's side project Wraygun were sitting in tonight. I missed the drummers name; I think the bass player was Larry. These guys were great! Larry was quite impressive actually on the bass. Anyway, the Cocktail Preachers really put on a killer set and had the crowd going nuts. I got a lot of photos and will hopefully post them soon.

The Cocktail Preachers played a slightly different set than when I had seen them last, which was a few years ago. It was a really raucous set, and the highlights for me were Quiet Surf, Black Sand Beach, and their originals Highball Holiday and Jimmy's New Board. But I really, really dug their version of Moment of Truth! Oh and Yuzo's Twist!!! Larry was really great on this. (BTW: what is the original name and origin of Yuzo's Twist? I know the Ghastly Ones covered it, and it is a Yuzo Kayama song of some kind). The crowd would not let them go without an encore. Great job!

A word about the crowd. Apparently the Surfabilly Freakout crowd has quite a devoted following (including, gasp, women), and in addition there was a bachelorette party in attendance, so it was wild crazy fun ALL night. I was actually somewhat worried how the crowd was going to react to the Madeira. The CP's were playing lots of fun danceable tunes; would they actually dance to the sonic onslaught of the Madeira?

Well the Madeira took the stage and being the big surf geek that I am, I parked myself front and center. Within minutes of Sandstorm starting (aptly described by Matt as an assault) I am surrounded by drunk happy party goers. They danced to the whole Madeira set! It was amazing. They LOVED them! It was hilarious to see people slow dance to Tangaroa. Corn Tiki was pleased!!!

And it was indeed a great set by The Madeira, they were having a lot of fun up there with the smoke, the lights, the crowd. Stand outs in their set for me were The Saracen, The Victor, Burning Mirage, Transatlantic Orbit, Tsar Wars, Planet of the Apes, Dilmohammed, Wreak Havoc, Rogue Wave, and well, pretty much the whole set actually. They ripped it up on the Fender IV's Everybody Up!! YES!!!

One of the inebriated girls wanted Ivan's guitar pick, so he gave it to her after the last song. But then the crowd demanded an encore, so he had to ask for it back! Ha-ha. Ivan only carries one pick? Who knew? But he did give it back to her after the encore of Dick Dale's Nightrider...!!!! AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME.

What a fantastic night, certainly one of the best shows I've seen. It was so great seeing everyone again. The friendship and camaraderie are so great. It's nice to actually be so shockingly reminded why I like surf music and bother with this website every once in a while Wink

And Jet!!! Jet my man! You are the man! You should be very proud of what you and your posse did! Worship THANK YOU. THANK YOU.

Pictures and maybe some video soon!

Last edited: May 31, 2009 17:19:38

Jet you & your friends did such a great job with the stage setup. The 20ft tall tiki torches and humungous smoke belching corn tiki was just outstanding. The crowd in Champaign was spectacular like always, in a great moode and ready to party. Again thanks for setting up this show, we had a blast. It was great seeing Brian again, dude you are a real trooper driving that distance and hangin out all night. Matt nice seeing you as well. Sorry to hear about the ride, but glad you made it home in one piece. With the full PA and lights that was the best sounding Madeira show yet. The sound last night beat the hell out of Melody Inn or Phyllis’ Musical Inn anyday. Spectacular job by the Madeira, I’d say they are well rehearsed for Europe. Good luck guys.

Hey, thanks for all the nice comments, everyone! We had a legendary time! Thanks so much to Jet and Andy for putting together the best stage that I think we'd ever played (it was truly stunning! so freakin' cool!!!), and for organizing one of the best shows we'd ever played! Jet in particular really put in a ton of work - and we deeply appreciate it! An unforgettable show!

Great to see all the old friends again - thanks so much for coming, Brian and Matt! There was also Corey from Oshkosh, Wisconsin (in addition to Kristen from Milwaukee, Winsconsin!), and he checks in here once in a while (he posted some reviews of the Indy show from last month). That's a long ways to drive for a surf show! But we really appreciate it. And so great to see and hear the Cocktail Preachers again! They truly have a knack for getting people into the fun mode and on their feet - few other surf bands can do it anywhere close to this well! (Really, only Los Straitjackets come to mind right off the top of my head.) We're very grateful for getting the audience into that vibe for us!

T

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

(I'm having some problems with my browser, so I have to continue here.)

Anyway, everybody else covered everything - so thanks again! Hope to do this again soon, and see all of you again!

(And Brian, I do carry more than one pick, but they were all in my guitar case, and I didn't want to go fishing for it. But that was pretty funny... Smile )

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Introducing, CORN-TIKI:

Wow, sounds like a really fun show!

Brian
(BTW: what is the original name and origin of Yuzo's Twist? I know the Ghastly Ones covered it, and it is a Yuzo Kayama song of some kind).

"Los Angeles No Nisei Matsuri," from Yuzo Kayama's self-titled album. </nerditry>

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Nice! Great review Brian. This sounds awesome. I'm totally envious.
... Ready for pictures!

No pictures yet, but I managed to get 3 Madeira videos uploaded last night:

The Saracen

Everybody Up! / Wreak Havoc

The Victor

I was so stunned by these I was in IRC with a couple people last night just looping them over and over. Smile I hope you like them. The picture quality isn't super great, it was just my little digital camera and not a real video camera or anything.

I still have "Intruder" to upload too. Razz

And I got 3 Cocktail Preacher vids that I can upload with their approval. I'll work on the pictures too.

Awesome videos Brian! Thanks for taking them. I've also been watching those things numerous times and honestly can't get enough! Ivan's playing is very inspired and I love their version of Everybody Up. The Madeira sound fantastic. It amazes me how great they sound with very little rehearsal time, shows etc. Its a real testament to all the players' incredible skill and devotion to the band. Very inspirational indeed Worship Rock

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

The Madeira: Intruder

Smile Smile Smile

Loving the videos Brian! Here are a few stills that I took...sure they are dark, but it seemed to anger Korn-Tiki when the flash went off too close to him.

The ominous set from afar...

The Cocktail Preachers

Mad Scientist Phil Tiki of the Cocktail Preachers on the theremin!

Steve Martini and Larry (of Preachers/Wraygun) on bass:

The Madeira:

Jet Sterling, Cosmic Spy
www.surfabillyfreakout.com

Cool Jet!

I have a ton of photos here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bgneal/BubblyCityBeachRiotCocktailPreachersMadeira?feat=directlink

Some of them suck badly, and others are pretty cool. I just dumped them all up there. Try out the slideshow button (on the upper left), it works pretty well.

I tried to not use my flash a lot because I thought it looked bad with it. But as a trade off, some of the pics are quite blurry. Sometimes that does look cool though. I'm no photographer, and my camera isn't the best, but hopefully you'll still enjoy some of the pics.

Thanks once again go to Jet and crew, who had enough lighting on the stage that the videos and photos turned out decent.

One of my favorites:

Brian
The Madeira: Intruder:) Smile Smile

My only reaction to that video is a 666 representation of :
Rock Rock Rock Rock Rock Rock

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Ruhar

Brian

My only reaction to that video is a 666 representation of :

wow that Smoked, oh wait that was the tiki.
well the band rocked hard.
was so cool to see Patrick head banging and jumping around.
him and Bob from the Pyronauts could have a competition for that.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Brian

Almost as good at the Deadbeats rendition. Wink

But seriously that ruled. If I'd been there with a few beers in me, I'd be bouncing off the walls. Rock

Science friction burns my fingers.

tonybologna
But seriously that ruled. If I'd been there with a few beers in me, I'd be bouncing off the walls. Rock

You and the rest of us amigo :wink:. Here is some video taken from within the crowd (also corroborates the guitar pick story):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovDPrxZZw5E

For those of you who have heard the Surfabilly Freakout radio show, the chica with the flower on her dress is Chelsea Bandita.

More videos (shot by the club owner)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YckKln_DpoY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zusVy7a12AI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Y1bVF740M

Sorry about the tall guy that seems to get in the way in a couple of these videos. We try to get him to stand in back...but he's a total jerk and insists on jumping around up front Wink .

Jet Sterling, Cosmic Spy
www.surfabillyfreakout.com

Awesome, awesome!!!!

Cocktail Preachers Videos!!

Long Ride

Taco Wagon

Crazy theremin action:
Deep, Deep Space