Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink first video from Sound of the Surf - the Madeira

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Beautifully done guys!

...I love that song and as always Ivan's touch makes it so chillingly sweet. Just great work. Congrats!

I hope they IMAX this movie or put it in Dolby Digital to watch/listen in the movie theatres. THAT would be just insane.

Is the red guitar thing a Shads reference? I couldn't resist.

Keep up the good work guys.

d

Ivan the video does look very professional and classy. That definetly is something sweet to add to the bands resume. You know I dig your music and I'm am too looking forward to seein the entire flick. BTW the Cocktail Preachers were in a movie filmed in Chicago a couple years ago and it will be on the big screen and Imax in the chicagoland area starting in May. Production of films can take forever, so relish the fact that you have great footage to use in the meantime. Look forward to seein the gang this spring.

Steve

DGG
Beautifully done guys!

...I love that song and as always Ivan's touch makes it so chillingly sweet. Just great work. Congrats!

I hope they IMAX this movie or put it in Dolby Digital to watch/listen in the movie theatres. THAT would be just insane.

Is the red guitar thing a Shads reference? I couldn't resist.

Keep up the good work guys.

d

Really sweet guys..felt a bit of the Shads w/the echo and melody...very cool!

www.northofmalibu.com

Again, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, thanks for all of the wonderful compliments, they mean a lot, especially the super-kind words by Robbie. And of course, thanks Tom for your compliments - it's easy to be so easy-going when working with someone as cooperative and accomodative as you! Laughing

badash
Have you guys given up the belts/scarves? I really liked that. No other band's visual "gimmick" is as eloquent and understated. Really evokes that part of the world.

Badash, there was an uprising in the band with pitchforks and axes that put an end to that look. Very Happy I don't think we will be returning to it in the future. Sorry.

bigtikidude
have you thought of doing a cd of just mellow songs.
as much as I love your ripping, blazing fast songs.
your slow melodic ones are to me always the most memorable and enjoyable. I think thats where your love of the Shadows really comes thru the most.

Thanks, Jeff, that's very nice of you to say. I can't imagine doing a CD of all slow songs, I don't think that would be very interesting - and I can't imagine us writing enough decent slow songs to fill up a whole CD. The truth is that I really like it fast and aggressive and that's more fun for me to play than the slower stuff. But I also love having diverse albums that have all sorts of elements, so the slow stuff definitely has a place. Having said that, over the past couple of months I've been thinking a bit about the next album and was considering going into a slightly mellower, more melodic direction. But I'm really just toying with ideas at this point, we haven't practiced one new songs since we completed Carpe Noctem. So, watch the next album be an over-the-top speedfest! Very Happy

DGG
Is the red guitar thing a Shads reference?

Dario, sort of. It wasn't by design. My fiesta red Strat has been my main guitar for almost 19 years. I found out from the salesman that its color was called fiesta red after I paid for the guitar, and I had never seen a photo of the Shadows with their fiesta red Fenders at that point, so getting that guitar was simply a fortuitous accident! In the Madeira we initially went for the metallic-colors-with-shell-pickguards look (like PJ & the Galaxies), but then one day in '07 Todd showed up with a fiesta red Jazz bass, which he acquired by a fluke, not design. At that point we decided to go ahead and do the matching guitar thing, since my dad had a fiesta red Strat he rarely played, so it was requisitioned for Patrick.

Whenever you have a matching set of fiesta red Fenders of course it's going to scream the Shadows, but given that we're not wearing matching suits nor playing music that is supposed to emulate the Shadows, I think it's a nice nod without it being a rip-off. And they just look so damn good!

(Ironically, this very song, Crescent Moon, was definitely very Shadows-influenced. All the slides in the main melody as well as the darker guitar tone were my take on the Shads' song "Cosy" from their second LP, one of my favorites by them - well, mixed in with some aspects of Richie Podolor's "The Quiet Surf". But it's rare for a song I write for the Madeira to have an explicit Shadows influence - though I'm so seeped in their music that I'm sure it comes out in all sorts of ways I'm unaware of. I think this is why John Blair and others perceive our music as being non-trad - there are heavy influences by the Atlantics and the Shadows that most surf bands don't have, but that to me are very much part of the 'trad' mix.)

Steve, what movie are you in that will be on IMAX?? That is amazing!

Thanks again, everybody. I'm really glad to see that the song and the video are really connecting with people.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

BTW, I was searching for something on the old Yahoo SG101 a bit ago, and completely by accident came across this old post by me. The phrase "a gleam in daddy's eye" came to mind... Laughing It's pretty mindblowing to think back to that time from today's position. I feel that the Madeira has really accomplished a lot more than I ever could have hoped for. The Cossacks were pretty successful (from my perspective), and I dared not imagine that another surf band I put together could accomplish anything close to that. I'm a lucky SOB...

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009 19:57:08

Steve, what movie are you in that will be on IMAX?? That is amazing!

The movie is RiffRaff it was filmed in Chicago at the boat docked at Montrose harbor. Its an indie film, I guess a coming of age type movie about life gaurds. It has one of the Bulishi boys in it.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=147263468

Thanks for askin.

StevieMartini
The movie is RiffRaff it was filmed in Chicago at the boat docked at Montrose harbor. Its an indie film, I guess a coming of age type movie about life gaurds. It has one of the Bulishi boys in it.

This could be pretty good. What's the scene with you? How was the shoot?

Good luck with the movie - hope it does very well!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP
BTW, I was searching for something on the old Yahoo SG101 a bit ago, and completely by accident came across this old post by me. The phrase "a gleam in daddy's eye" came to mind... Laughing It's pretty mindblowing to think back to that time from today's position. I feel that the Madeira has really accomplished a lot more than I ever could have hoped for. The Cossacks were pretty successful (from my perspective), and I dared not imagine that another surf band I put together could accomplish anything close to that. I'm a lucky SOB...

I think you have to be a member of the old group to see that post, so if you can't follow the link, here it is:

Ivan
Re: Space Cossacks

--- In SurfGuitar101@yahoogroups.com, "amdel808" <adman808>
wrote:

Id like to discuss them. They are in my opionon the best new retro
surf band out there, what do u guys think about them

I think they're GRRRRREEEEAAAT! Smile

Seriously, thanks for the compliment. The band had me on lead
guitar, Mark English on rhythm, Catherine Gray on bass, and Doug
Hoekstra on drums. Catherine and Doug are still playing together in
Washington, DC's rock/psychobilly/garage trio Superswank. Don't
think Mark's been up to much.

I play in a Shadows cover band the Troubadours in the midwest (I now
live in Michigan), and we play out a few times each summer. We
played in Indy and Chicago this summer (and a private show in
Indiana), and we have a gig coming up in Toronto on Saturday. It's
probably premature to talk about this, but I'm hoping that I'll have
another original surf band together sometime early next year. We
shall see...

Thanks again.
Ivan

This historic post was made on Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:03 pm. Smile

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

beautiful tune and video, thanks for posting Thumbs Up

Not much I can add to the thread except to say , WOW!! the video and performance is simply outstanding! I posted my immediate reaction (novapup2001) right there on the Madiera video YT page
I am happy to see professionally produced videos of modern Surf. There has been a relative dearth to date.

Sound of the Surf will wake more than a few people up (finally!).

-bIGwAvE Dave
Bass, The Aquamarines
Bass, The Twang Tens

Great song, great band, great video, thanks for posting it gentlemen. Really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next instalment; 'nuff said from me.

Tim O
oestmann guitar

tunes

clips

Congrats and good luck with the movie, I will keep an eye out for it

If you are still standing on the beach when the sun goes down, it was a good day.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Rock OMG!
What a beautiful number!

well...I just have to point this out: with the calibre of musicianship found in the Madeira coupled with such a well-crafted and well-executed piece as "Crescent Moon"...well, how could it be anything but fantastic? Who else uses mallets for that shimmering ride-swell? did you notice the use of a well-timed foot-pedal hi-hat beat? what about that pure-clean well-articulated rhythm guitar? did I mention solid round bass tone?

the only flaw i noticed is when Ivan botched that one note... Wink
see if you can you pick it out...

Shocked Wow, I finally just saw this. All the accolades for the music and video are so well deserved. What more can I add?

Man, I'm about to crap myself with excitement over this movie. Laughing

Thanks again, everyone. I'd just encourage you to direct more of your compliments to Tom, he's the one that made this look and sound so good. It's gonna be an amazing movie, a dream-come-true for the nutsos like most of us around here!

dp
the only flaw i noticed is when Ivan botched that one note... Wink see if you can you pick it out...

dp, you only heard one botched note? Tom did a good job covering them up, then! Wink

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

was one of them at 2:05 or 2:06?
muted notes

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
was one of them at 2:05 or 2:06?
muted notes

No

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I didn't chime in when I first watched this because of the limits of my computer access. But the playing is great. Can't say I've seen too much footage of any of Ivan's bands. I saw what Brian shot several years back and a Troubadors show. I tend to stay away from camcorder shot videos so a video like this feels more special because of waiting so long between seeing footage.

Regarding the "mistake". I don't see it as a flaw. I think around the one minute mark he plays a passing note that may not be intentional, but it sounds great still. If anything it adds to the take. It isn't something you'd purposefully do on album, but it is a nice little addition to a live take.

JakeDobner
I didn't chime in when I first watched this because of the limits of my computer access. But the playing is great. Can't say I've seen too much footage of any of Ivan's bands. I saw what Brian shot several years back and a Troubadors show. I tend to stay away from camcorder shot videos so a video like this feels more special because of waiting so long between seeing footage.

Very cool, thanks, Jake.

Regarding the "mistake". I don't see it as a flaw. I think around the one minute mark he plays a passing note that may not be intentional, but it sounds great still. If anything it adds to the take. It isn't something you'd purposefully do on album, but it is a nice little addition to a live take.

Nope, there's no mistake around the 1-minute mark - all the notes played were fully intended, and were the exact notes as played on the studio recording.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next