Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
332 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
259 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
259 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
179 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
158 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
120 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
81 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink A Shot In The Dark (?)

Page 1 of 1

Who does a good surf version of Henry Mancini's A Shot In The Dark? I looked on iTunes, but everything was big band jazz.

Eric

Four Piece Suit do a pretty good version.

The Pacifics - The Big Beat from Dublin

Evil Sons - Wild Two-Piece Trash

wiskey biscuit/form the album,a shot in the dark: and girl trouble/ertrus cocktail companion:don't know to much about either of these bands other than they both use sax and that their are killer versions of the tune...

Facebook pages theSupertones
or @ Timothy C Sullivan

I'm working on a cool surf version of "A Shot in the Dark"...

My old band did a ska version...

Science friction burns my fingers.

I like Oranj Symphonette's, but it's not surfy.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

We did it on the Pulp Surfin' comp.

(The Boardwalkers)

Jeff Utterback

I saw some live video footage that Ivan Pongracic let me borrow back in 2000,of Treble Spankers playing "Shot In The Dark".I don't think that song ever made it to a full length album of theirs though.I believe they do have a version on a 45 if my memory is correct.IMHO their live version is the best that I've ever heard,and I've heard probably more than most.The band i used to be in back in 2001 used to do a killer version,very heavy,and menacing.Actually is probably my favorite Mancini tune of all time.Now if only I could talk my current band into doing a newer version.I have a much better guitar player now so hopefully it will turn out even better.

Reverb, It's A Way Of Life!

The best best version I have heard in today's times of "A Shot In The Dark" is by "Combustible Edison" from the cd comp release by Mai Tai (mid 90s) called "Secret Agent Sounds"
A Shot In The Dark (Full Audio Sample)

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

I don't know if you'd consider it surf, but The Moon-Rays have a version on their album "Thrills & Chills."

Also definitely not surf, but still good Jim Heath(of the Reverend Horton Head) has a side project called RevOrgandrum and they have a version on their album "Hi-Fi Stereo."

The Phantomatics on Facebook
The Phantomatics on Instagram
The Phantomatics on Bandcamp

brandonio
I saw some live video footage that Ivan Pongracic let me borrow back in 2000,of Treble Spankers playing "Shot In The Dark".I don't think that song ever made it to a full length album of theirs though.I believe they do have a version on a 45 if my memory is correct.

Your memory is correct. See here: http://www.instromania.net/D2/ART/ART_T/TREBLE%20SPANKERS%20The.php
It was an A-side of a '94 single. I don't think it's ever been released on a CD.

Your best bet is to check out the Boardwalkers' version on the Pulp Surfin' comp. It's a very good version, the only downsides being that it's a 3-piece arrangement and that it has a very thin sound, no bottom end at all.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Not surf but Mark Hanson and Doug Smith do a two acoustic guitar version on the album "Pink Guitar" (which is all Henry Mancini songs done on acoustic guitar). It might give someone some good ideas.

Ralph
The Storm Surfers

Be at one with the universe. If you can't do that, at least be at one with your guitar.

FlatRacer
Who does a good surf version of Henry Mancini's A Shot In The Dark? I looked on iTunes, but everything was big band jazz.

Eric

Hi'ya Eric, I always liked the Boardwalkers version.

diceophonic
The best best version I have heard in today's times of "A Shot In The Dark" is by "Combustible Edison" from the cd comp release by Mai Tai (mid 90s) called "Secret Agent Sounds"

Agree

I love that comp.

tommyalvarado

diceophonic

Agree

I love that comp.

Man that's a sweet version!

tommyalvarado

diceophonic

Agree

I love that comp.

That comp is a must have!
I believe the Coffin Daggers cover that song live. I could be wrong. They rule, catch em if you can -Craig(Atomic Mosquitos)

https://www.facebook.com/killersfromspaceband
http://www.atomicmosquitos.com/

My favourite version is by Oranj Symphonette as well. Their whole Mancini album is great, as is their Orange CD.

The Boardwalkers also do a very nice version.

This song is one of the covers that gets played at most of our shows. Mancini is one of the greats.

Rev

PS: One of my biggest pet peeves is how the main riff from Peter Gunn is often played incorrectly...grrr

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

KILLERS_FROM_SPACE

tommyalvarado

diceophonic

Agree

I love that comp.

That comp is a must have!
I believe the Coffin Daggers cover that song live. I could be wrong. They rule, catch em if you can -Craig(Atomic Mosquitos)

Yes! I saw you guys with The Madeira, Nebulas, and Coffin Daggers at Asbury Lanes back in May, and they did indeed cover it. Great show, by the way!

Page 1 of 1