Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
331 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
259 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
259 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
179 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
157 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
119 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
80 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
13 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
13 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink "The Album" -- is it "DEAD" ?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

JakeDobner
If you shop right CDs aren't much more expensive than digital downloads. Maybe an extra buck or two. I'd say it is worth it for higher quality, liner notes, and the guarantee of having the album if something happens to your hard drive or ipod.

I totally agree! If its a band I like, I have to have the physical item, a download, or a burned disc really means nothing to me, all of the music I have and acquired, has taken at least some amount of effort to acquire, (in some cases a vast amount of effort!!) which makes it mean much more to me. I do download as a means to find new music, but if it is a band I really like, I will go out and buy it.

Often times, Cds have songs that aren't available online. That's one of my reasons, and the cover art is usually cool for surf bands. The song Cotton Picking is really care, and it's only available on King of the Surf Guitar.

Sonichris
I also like to think that all early 60's fender equipment is happy to be playing surf music again. After all, its the music it was meant to play.

JakeDobner
If you shop right CDs aren't much more expensive than digital downloads. Maybe an extra buck or two. I'd say it is worth it for higher quality, liner notes, and the guarantee of having the album if something happens to your hard drive or ipod.

Perhaps, but the best part of digital music is you can get it NOW. I hate to wait, baby!

Sean

I think I'll always want a physical product to put in my collection. I agree that things are changing but I think that most people want to be able to see something for the money they spend.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I sometimes feel privileged to have grown up in an era when vinyl was the norm. I'm positive that having the open inviting sound of vinyl etched into my brain was responsible for my ever increasing dissatisfaction with commercially available recorded formats in later years. Put on both a CD & vinyl copy of the same album & you'll possibly see (or rather, hear) what I'm talking about. Cool

However you have to move with the times, and to be honest I can see valid points in the "to press or not to press" dilemma. I'm currently recording an Album of original surf material, & I will definitely be having a run pressed; not only because I personally prefer having a CD of it, but because there is still a lot of the older generation who are drawn to surf instrumentals & are more likely to buy a CD than get their head around having to download it. Gigs are great for this; if they've had a great night, enjoyed your music, & have had a couple of drinks under the belt, they won't think twice about parting with ten or twenty dollars as a memento of the night!! Wink

Having said all that, if the financial benefits were of greater importance to me (which they're not - it's a love job for me at this stage), then I would have to be looking seriously at how many sales it would take to recoup the outlays of having the album pressed. Artwork, duplication, postage, mastering - it all adds up. So under those circumstances, I can see the attraction in a digital only release.

CaptainSensible

Kman1
Thanks to many people here, I want to buy CDs.

Bah. Why waste the extra dough on a piece of plastic and paper that you won't bother to look at beyond your initial purchase? If all you are going to do is load the contents of a CD on an iPod, why not just cut out the middle man?

I only have CDs so I can play the music in my car. Once I get a new car that has a jack for my iPod I suppose that will change as well.

I use downloads as a learning tool. If the horn band decides to play a certain Chicago song, I'm not going to buy the CD. I'll buy it instantly from iTunes for a buck and be done with it.

Stuff like Laika & The Cosmonauts though, I want to have the entire album because I know there will be songs there that won't make a strong first impression, but will grow on me over time.

Eric

CaptainSensible

JakeDobner

Perhaps, but the best part of digital music is you can get it NOW. I hate to wait, baby!

Pirate today, buy tomorrow.

JakeDobner

CaptainSensible

JakeDobner

Pirate today, buy tomorrow.

Ah, the noble “pirate” again!

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

CaptainSensible

I believe Robin Hoodian is the proper term. And by proper I mean, it really has no place drawing a comparison.

LHR
I get funny looks from my kids when I use the term "record", if that helps.

Try using the term "LP" image

For you young whipper-snappers here, that's short for "Long Playing", which distinguished a record album that spun at 33 1/3 rpm from the old ones that spun at 78 rpm. Acually, the term "album" probably came from the old 78s. They can put a classical symphony on 1 CD, but in the old days, it took a lot of 78s to hold that amount of music. They would put muliple 78s together in an album, which looked like a picture album.

My Web Site - Tunes - Pictures - Guitar Projects - Hard Rock Cafe Guitar Pins

A friend of mine just changed the name of his store from "CD Collector" to
"The Record Rack". Best buy / K-mart killed the independant stores, but vinyl is the new frontier.

www.cutbacksurfband.com

JakeDobner

CaptainSensible

I believe Robin Hoodian is the proper term. And by proper I mean, it really has no place drawing a comparison.

Hey, I never said that! Shocked

Sean

CaptainSensible
However, I still have trouble going for a jog with a record player strapped to my belt.

You have to start by jogging with a book balanced on top of your head. Smile

CaptainSensible

JakeDobner

CaptainSensible

Hey, I never said that! Shocked

Whoops. Sorry. I didn't pay enough attention as I was chopping the quotes down.

They didn't have any Surf that I could find, so I got a 4Cd Set of Rock & Roll of the '50s & '60s. I'd post an image, but there are too many for me to find the right one.

Sonichris
I also like to think that all early 60's fender equipment is happy to be playing surf music again. After all, its the music it was meant to play.

'50s and '60s is a good start.

surfer
A friend of mine just changed the name of his store from "CD Collector" to
"The Record Rack". Best buy / K-mart killed the independant stores, but vinyl is the new frontier.

We have Amoeba records in Hollyweird. They are an 800 lb gorilla of a record store that destroyed much of the local competition . I heard a story recently where Amoeba is selling an average of 2000 vinyl lp's a day right now with the current renewed interest in vinyl. I think that's purdy cool BUT I wonder about the "analog character" of the vinyl that comes out these days. Much of it is pressed from digtally remastered tapes. Such a process completely defeats any conceived advantage to a vinyl pressing. If the master tape is digital, then you might as well listen to the recording in a format that doesn't introduce surface noise and other problems of vinyl. I did see a sticker on one lp reissue that touted "All Analog Pressing" and that is what I would need to see if I were gonna purchase a new vinyl repressing.

"Hello Girls!"

I cannot be certain, but I assume any digital remastering isn't going to be noticeably lesser in quality than the analog pressing. This is assuming that they can do a nearly lossless transfer from tape to digital, which I have to assume they can do.

Also I have to assume they don't use CD masters fro vinyl. CDs mix down of course being 44.1khz and Vinyl being at 96khz.

Digital gets a bad name because of the majority mp3s and CDs not having the highest bit rate. Although recording to digital or recording through a digital board isn't not as good an option as going to tape or through an analog board. You should be able to transfer from tape to digital with no noticeable loss.

I find the majority of new vinyl I own to sound superior to vinyl of yore. This is perhaps due to 180gms vinyl which most of it is pressed on. I think the 180gms really improves the sound, although I could be wrong and it could just be they are all great sounding recorders before it got put on 180gms..

We have an irrational fear of digital. This is a time where digital is just beginning to be something that , while not quite as good yet, more than acceptable as an alternative to analog. I'm speaking merely for music and video. We have HD audio and HD video, both of which sounds and looks great when recorded digitally. Although the analog is superior for audio. But it doesn't mean digital is bad. Quality digital requires a lot of memory, which is why people choose to compress or record at lower quality.

Anyways, digital shouldn't be vilified even if 99.9% of it sucks.

I don't follow your logic, Jake. Your first statement sez, "I assume any digital remastering isn't going to be noticeably lesser in quality than the analog pressing." Your final statement states that 99.9% of digital sucks.

If 99.9% of digital sucks, then a digital remastering has a 99.9% chance of sucking and it would therefore be more than reasonable to assume that a digital remastering would be of noticebly lesser quality (noticebly enough to know it sucks by comparison).

If a label uses a digital master for vinyl, then what is the audio advantage to using vinyl? This is an important question because many folks think they are getting the supposed analog advantages when purchasing new vinyl when in fact the original analog has been stripped away in the digital mastering.
-Marty

"Hello Girls!"

99.9% of digital audio are CDs and 128kb CDs. I left out the word audio when I said "99.9% of digital sucks" A digital master isn't really a consumer digital audio format.

A digital master can be 96khz, which is what vinyl is pressed at. Where as a CD is 44.1khz. And a digital master can be 128khz or 164khz as well. I believe both of those bit rates are HD-Audio.

I'm no expert on all of this, but digital masters aren't not so terrible. I don't think anybody mixes with tape anymore. They record to tape of course, but it is transferred to digital right after. Of course it is a near lossless transfer.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next