Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Why you like surf music

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

It's more about the melody than the solo. Less pedals. Pure playing. Showcase for instrumentalists. It's got a MOOD.

Squid From Madrid - New Single on Bandcamp
MB Website

Usually the lyrics are easy to remember; "Stoked", Let's Go Trippin'"; "Wipeout", etc.

synchro wrote:

That’s interesting....

That’s interesting, I still have the Telestar album along with Peter, Paul and Mary and the Mamas and the Papas with them in the bathtub. Dad used to "rock" out with them all the time (in his rocking chair). That was about as rock as he got though Chet Atkins was another one along with some other country music. Two of his favorites were Slim Whitman and Roger Whitaker and I thought I'd use the stage Slim Whitaker but I think that was taken. I don't remember how or when but I was able to download the Chet Atkins Almost Alone tab book when I was looking to find the name of a tune used in a commercial which turned out to be Jam Man. It's tricky but I work on it now and then.

Last edited: Jun 04, 2020 20:48:45

ChuckEMong wrote:

synchro wrote:

That’s interesting....

That’s interesting, I still have the Telestar album along with Peter, Paul and Mary and the Mamas and the Papas with them in the bathtub. Dad used to "rock" out with them all the time (in his rocking chair). That was about as rock as he got though Chet Atkins was another one along with some other country music. Two of his favorites were Slim Whitman and Roger Whitaker and I thought I'd use the stage Slim Whitaker but I think that was taken. I don't remember how or when but I was able to download the Chet Atkins Almost Alone tab book when I was looking to find the name of a tune used in a commercial which turned out to be Jam Man. It's tricky but I work on it now and then.

That was an interesting time to grow up. There was a lot of great music.

Of late, the Mommas and the Poppas have been on my mind. I can play Monday, Monday mentally and hear those amazing harmonies. I have done some vocal work involving three-part harmony and it’s amazing to hear three voices come in simultaneously, and even more amazing when your voice is among them. I can’t imagine what it must have felt like to perform with a band like the Mommas and the Poppas.

Almost Alone is a great album. I have the songbook for it and have learned a few of the arrangements. He was an absolute master.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I like the joy that the music elicits, but also the occasional melancholy. It takes you places- a sunny California beach, a Middle Eastern Desert, someplace south of the border or even an African Jungle. While seemingly simple, it can possess great complexity and pure tones that can sometimes get a little nasty.

While I don't feel that I live in the past, I enjoy nostalgia, especially late 50s through early 60s- and what music could be more representative of that period? Cars, furniture and architecture had such great style, the movies and tv shows did not depend on violence and sex to entertain and there was almost always a happy ending.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8