SG101 on the Web

Follow SurfGuitar101 on Twitter

Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

Tqi: Synchro, I managed to squeeze the Axial's in. Still working on how to lay them out next to the pots though.
253 days ago

dragonfly: Being homebound I just downloaded SG101 2014 music and loving it. Hooray for downloads. Thanks to everyone responsible. HBISM retired coordinator 2014 Cool
183 days ago

dragonfly: Thanks whoever posted photo of the day with Dean Dick and yours truly. What an awesome day that was. Love to all the surf community!
180 days ago

DannySnyder: People often say "icy" is the easiest word to spell and looking at it now, I see why.
127 days ago

Emilien03: BAJA SURF STOMP!
111 days ago

Emilien03: https://www....
111 days ago

Tqi: Oy, Fender, Orange. One of you, make a 20W starved-plate valve bass amp. Like an Origin 20 with a big OT.
62 days ago

Remora: New member here saying hello
27 days ago

Clint: Ever try to explain “surf music” to friends? A Day at the Beach Podcast #150 can do this for you. It explains how it got started and ends with today’s modern bands and much more. Please share with those unaware… https://www....
19 days ago

synchro: Hello Remora.
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

67%

67%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Best-Of SG101 »

Permalink Why you like surf music

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

DeathTide wrote:

The classic clean surf tone. Can’t be beat, except sometimes it’s matched by the spaghetti western tone...

That clean sound is big. I'm a fan of the clean guitar sound and have been for a long time. As I alluded to in an earlier post to this thread, when distortion began to dominate Pop and Rock, I lost interest. To this day, I can't get into heavy distortion. A little natural overdrive makes sense to me, but not the heavy, artificial "fuzzed out" sound that became all but ubiquitous.

Music that all but flaunts its clean tones really appeals to my tastes. It is also a genre that rewards clean playing and good technique. Playing Surf is great practice.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.
My Guitar WebSite
Dead Thread

There is an awful lot of grit in the guitar tones of 1st wave surf music. I'm not sure where this "classic clean surf tone" thing came from...

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian wrote:

There is an awful lot of grit in the guitar tones of 1st wave surf music. I'm not sure where this "classic clean surf tone" thing came from.

Exhibit A: Randy Holden, precursor to violence!

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

These doesn't sound very clean to me.

Ivan
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Perhaps I should have said:

That classic “clean” surf tone instead? Or maybe just:

The Surf Guitar Tone.

Those guitars are clean to me, compared to punk rock or garage. Bombora is one of the greatest “clean” tones I’ve ever heard.

I think that we may be defining the term clean differently.

All amplified guitar sounds are distorted. An amp always changes the signal a bit and that can rightfully be called distortion. But there’s distortion, and then again, there’s distortion. Using Ivan’s samples, yes there is a degree of distortion, especially starting from Death of a Gremmie on down, but even in that song, the notes retained their definition.

I’ve never cared for the sort of distortion Jimi Hendrix was famed for. Distorted guitar sounds have been around for a long time, but starting, perhaps, with The Stones “Satisfaction”, it began to be cultivated and has grown into a science of its own. I’ve often quipped that guitarists have more names for distortion than the Inuit have for snow.

At least for my purposes, it is a matter of definition. I enjoy hearing the attack and decay of each note. One thing I like about Surf guitar is that most practitioners have good technique and it really adds to the effect. While some Surf employs a degree of distortion, the Surf I enjoy tends to retain note definition.

Having lived through the sixties (I started playing in 1966), I heard music go from the clean sounds of Duane Eddy and The Ventures, on through the era of Hendrix and the endless succession of people that based their concept of sound on Hendrix. If you read Guitar Player magazine during the seventies, there was an amazing amount of column inches devoted to the subject of distortion. It was virtually the default sound of Rock for many years.

One other aspect was how distortion was achieved. Some of the distortion pedals sounded very canned, very artificial. An amp pushed into natural overdrive sounds completely different from a pedal, at least to my ears. I find that a lot more appealing to the ears.

I always have preferred the cleaner end of the spectrum. When Queen did Crazy Little Thing Called Love, it was a breath of fresh air. The sound was a bit more focused, perhaps, than the Classic Rockabilly sound, but it was a lot cleaner than most of what hit the airwaves in the late ‘70s.

Anyhow, my point is that there are degrees. I’ll gladly concede that not all Surf is crystal clear; long before this thread I’d be quick to agree that the Classic Brownface sound was not the same as the piercing cleans of a Blackface amp, yet it’s foundational to Surf. But that’s a far cry from Hendrix playing a Strat, through a Fuzzface and into a cranked Marshall.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.
My Guitar WebSite
Dead Thread

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7