Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Must...buy...Yamaha SGV

Goto Page: Previous 1 216 17 18 19 20

Mark2Bra wrote:

I've already seen one eBay auction describing the SGV as a Doctor Who Guitar!

Wuh , it is good that Peter Capaldi didn't choose Jazzmaster or Jaguar as his guitar. . .

Yeah Peter Capaldi definitely used the aha in Yam-aha!

Here's the deal I missed: $600 w/OHSC!
Red SGV800

Oh well, it doesn't match my custom Fender cab in aqua sparkle. It's not Fukai Mono enough.

Squink Out!

Anyone know what the OEM string gauge was? I am having no luck staying in tune even without using the whammy bar. I hear pinging in the nut so the 10 rounds I am using must be hanging up there.
Thoughts on stringing these pups?

Squink Out!

try oil in the nut, oil for a sewing machine is best, as it doesn´t build up resin in the nut. helps perfect to stay in tune with my sg800 and i use the whammy bar extensively. if oil still does not work, you must get the string grooves made wider by a luthier.
good luck
LoeD

here comes the WEST SAMOA SURFER LEAGUE

I'm thinking of going with lite flats next string change. They may hang up less, and collect less gunk in the windings that also makes a string sound out-of-tune even when it's tuned up unfretted.

Squink Out!

JObeast wrote:

Anyone know what the OEM string gauge was? I am having no luck staying in tune even without using the whammy bar. I hear pinging in the nut so the 10 rounds I am using must be hanging up there.
Thoughts on stringing these pups?

Could well be the nut is cut for 9s if mine and my friends Chinese guitars are anything to go by. If it goes out of tune sharp# when you dip the tremolo then it is likely to be binding at the nut.

Yeah, I am thinking of getting 9 flats so it won't bind up. Driving me nut, becaus ethis is such a cool guitar and so well made. I wish there was a label on it or something.

Squink Out!

Your problem can be solved.
I guess LoeD is right with the nut.
Years ago I also had a tuning problem with a SGV800. But only with the G string... At last there was a tiny tiiiiiiny dust part under the string in the nut. I cleaned the nut with a brush and oiled it. Problem solved.
And, yes, maybe you HAVE to file the nut for thicker strings a little bit. If you have no files bring it to a good guitar tech. Not a big thing.

good luck man! keep us updated.

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

When i have m'y 300 and 800 after i have set up them for 1052 they stay really well in tune ,no trouble with the nut ,the tremolo work really well no detune ,but the spring of it were at max ,if you use a Biger gauge need to put an ôther spring

credits for the oil idea go to Mr. Ralf Kilauea, he gave me this advice when I faced the detuning problem at my sgv 800 myself!
LoeD

here comes the WEST SAMOA SURFER LEAGUE

LoeD wrote:

credits for the oil idea go to Mr. Ralf Kilauea, he gave me this advice when I faced the detuning problem at my sgv 800 myself!
LoeD

Haha!!!!
So the circle is closed again.

Maybe next year we have this question again somewhere here in the forum.

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

hello everyone,
i have a SGV 300 and i'm trying to change the tuners to locking tuners. I saw that the SGV 800 have already the Sperzel tuners installed, and I thought that I could use the same at my 300. Big mistake...the tuners I bought are too short. I'm trying to see which ones I can use, but is being really hard do find information about the tuners. Does anyone here experienced the same problem? which tuners you bought for the SGV 300?
cheers, Bjørn

Hi, why don't you keep the originals. They're fine tuners.

Every word is like an unecessary stain on silence and nothingness.

spy wrote:

Hi, why don't you keep the originals. They're fine tuners.

Hello,
i'm facing some problems to keep it tuned when I use the vibrato arm...that is why I was planning to use locking ones

If that's the reason then the problem is not the tuners.

You need to set up the guitar better. I'd look at the nut and of course the vibrato mechanism.

Every word is like an unecessary stain on silence and nothingness.

Goto Page: Previous 1 216 17 18 19 20