Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: My new vinyl is available now!!!!
126 days ago

SurfinUsa2007: Everybody’s Gone Surfin!
121 days ago

ArtS: Can't wait til Spring!!!
78 days ago

Clint: The Clint Beachwood Show can now be heard at https://soun... .... A new show will be posted every Monday.
77 days ago

PatGall: Surf guitar
44 days ago

Pirecords: Hellllloooo people of Earth
28 days ago

TheOutpost: strap
28 days ago

ArtS: Spam Formum posts this morning. Do not click.
28 days ago

Floyd: Tremolo
22 days ago

bigtikidude: Who’s coming to SG101?
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

63%

63%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Latest surf or instro related record you got?

New Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2114 115 116 117 118 119 Next

I concur, It's About Time is a must have!

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

It's about time to buy it, heyoooo

Jeff(bigtikidude)

image

Been looking for a long time for this one. Dutch Indorock from the late 50's early 60's. Pre-surf, not all instrumentals (some Elvis pastiche vocals, but really good), but this is raw, almost Link Wray-like stuff! Great guitarwork, stand-up bass and a drummer that is really something else!

www.alohasluts.com
Aloha Sluts on BandCamp
www.arnyzona.com (my photography)
Aloha Fest on facebook

Nice! Good price too!

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

image

Got this from eBay this week. Digging it!

It features tracks by:
The Exotics
Satan’s Pilgrims
The Surf Trio
Mark Brodie & the Beaver Patrol
The Surfdusters
The Boss Martians
The Bomboras
The Woodies
The Trashmatics
The Astronauts

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018 20:19:26

Finally finished the Cowabunga set, great stuff, coulda done without the vocals but still great.
Last night I downloaded:
Satan's Pilgrims: Siniestro- Second album of theirs, for me, can't wait to hear it!
The Fathoms: Fathomless- Started this one last night and on the way to work. These guys seem incapable of making a bad album. The tunes, the tones, the quality! Can't go wrong with this band.
Surf Zombies: Something weird-First album from the Surf Zombies, looking forward to it.

@Arny there's a lot of indorock vinyl in Indonesia that people start to aware of how precious this vinyl right now since the vinyl hype is on. If you like the first era of Tielman bros I think you will be like Eka Sapta

Umar
The Mentawais
The Rentones

kruelkats wrote:

@Arny there's a lot of indorock vinyl in Indonesia that people start to aware of how precious this vinyl right now since the vinyl hype is on. If you like the first era of Tielman bros I think you will be like Eka Sapta

Thanks for the suggestion, just googled them, but there albums are even more difficult to get in Europe! But I found some great songs by them on YouTube! Great stuf!

www.alohasluts.com
Aloha Sluts on BandCamp
www.arnyzona.com (my photography)
Aloha Fest on facebook

A collection of Marketts songs. Frankly, I didn’t find it very inspiring.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Hypnotide and B Breakers.

LakeEffectReverb wrote:

Hypnotide and B Breakers.

B Breakers are fantastic.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

The new MERMEN CD. Tres bien!

mj
bent playing for benter results
Do not attempt to adjust your TV set.
https://www.facebook.com/Bass-VI-Explorers-Club-179437279151035/
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Planet-Shamen-366987463657230/

Cool

You know there is 2 new Mermen cds, right?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

josheboy wrote:

image

Got this from eBay this week. Digging it!

Josh, can you guess who the uncredited (ahem) guest drummer on the Surf Trio's version of "Custom Caravan" is?
Cool

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Latest of the Messerchups on Wax Trax plus they had some nice price Russian MC classics too! But that vinyl is the hammer! Little bit more exotica than surf, but it sounds sooooooo good!

image

www.alohasluts.com
Aloha Sluts on BandCamp
www.arnyzona.com (my photography)
Aloha Fest on facebook

I was psyched to have discovered this at Jerry's Records in Pittsburgh. The cover had suffered some serious water damage along the way, and the record itself looked pretty beat, but for five bucks I took a chance and bought thing. Turns out it cleaned up very well and sounds great! This is a 1973 release on Thimble Records. Anyone know if there was an earlier release? Seems like there should be, though I can't find any reference to one online. '73 seems way to late for surf, but the recording has that early 60s quality to it. I find it confusing, but maybe somebody can clue me in.

image

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018 10:44:03

LordWellfleet wrote:

I was psyched to have discovered this at Jerry's Records in Pittsburgh. The cover had suffered some serious water damage along the way, and the record itself looked pretty beat, but for five bucks I took a chance and bought thing. Turns out it cleaned up very well and sounds great! This is a 1973 release on Thimble Records. Anyone know if there was an earlier release? Seems like there should be, though I can't find any reference to one online. '73 seems way to late for surf, but the recording has that early 60s quality to it. I find it confusing, but maybe somebody can clue me in.

image

As far as I know, those are for the most part alternate takes of material from the Dragsters album sessions, only without all the sound effects.

http://reverbnation.com/thecoffindaggers
https://www.facebook.com/coffindagger
http://coffindaggers.com/
http://thecoffindaggers.bandcamp.com

psychonaut wrote:

LordWellfleet wrote:

I was psyched to have discovered this at Jerry's Records in Pittsburgh. The cover had suffered some serious water damage along the way, and the record itself looked pretty beat, but for five bucks I took a chance and bought thing. Turns out it cleaned up very well and sounds great! This is a 1973 release on Thimble Records. Anyone know if there was an earlier release? Seems like there should be, though I can't find any reference to one online. '73 seems way to late for surf, but the recording has that early 60s quality to it. I find it confusing, but maybe somebody can clue me in.

image

As far as I know, those are for the most part alternate takes of material from the Dragsters album sessions, only without all the sound effects.

Ah, OK. That makes perfect sense. I haven't heard the other albums, so I that was lost on me. Thanks for the info!

Check out these two links on Messina:

https://surfguitar101.com/news/story/63/

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/15649/

Ivan
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Oh, great! I thought I had Messina covered, and now I need to scrounge some more. Smile

To me, Jim Messina brought up memories of Thinking of You and Your Mama Don't Dance, but I recall being vaguely aware that he had played Surf. In the '70s, Surf records were selling like hotcakes, about a buck a stack. No one cared in the slightest and I'd be willing to bet that most of the '73 RI albums copies still in existence were never played all the way through. In 1973, we wanted Country Rock and didn't want to hear anything about reverb tanks and dual Showman amps. Hey, quit laughing at my cowboy shirt! Smile

Likewise, in the eighties, when I wasn't expending all of my energy on despising synth-rock, I remember hearing that Larry Carlton had been a Surf player, but for the most part, no one cared. At that time, I was neck deep in trying to become the next Joe Pass, so I didn't use reverb. Actually, I don't think I even had an amp in the '80s. I played arch tops and classical guitars.

These old Messina tracks are impressive. He played quite well, and playing that well at such a young age is impressive. It's obvious that he deserved all of the success he had, no matter what the genre. Listening as I write, I'm very impressed by how clean he played. Very few teen-aged guitarists could match that. I know that couldn't have come close when I was that age. There's plenty of energy, but there's also an admirable restraint which keeps the sound from going over the brink and becoming chaotic. Fast and clean seems to be the order of the day.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018 12:00:48

Goto Page: Previous 1 2114 115 116 117 118 119 Next
Top