Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Suggestion Box »

Permalink What about a Chat room??

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

some forums i've been to before offer the options of going into chat rooms i think this would be a good thing to add to the site. waht do you think!?

-Zanti

Instagram:

My IG

Combo Tezeta IG

Well.....we had one, and it went over like a lead balloon.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Well, I didn't mean to be so negative. But now that we have our own server I'm willing to try again if there is any interest.

I think a chat would be stellar! For the uber geeks, we could set up an irc room on freenode as well, but I'm probably in the minority on that one Wink

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

I was actually thinking about setting up an irc server. But seriously I think we'd have problems getting people to use it. The same thing happened for TeamSpeak.

(BTW, I can easily setup TeamSpeak again... Smile )

Does phpBB offer chat room interfaces? If so, that might just be the easiest to get people into. But man, I'd LOVE an irc channel.

Ryan

Our old chat room was a little AJAX app. These types of apps can be quite demanding on the server as everyone in the room is querying the server every few seconds to see if anyone typed anything. However, for convenience (no external apps for anyone to install) it is nice.

A chat room for surf music fanatics would be wonderful and I would use it.

yeah!! im glad some people are with me on this one i've noticed that a lot of people who post often are always online around the same time, so it would be nice to just open a chat room and all join in maybe.

-Zanti

Instagram:

My IG

Combo Tezeta IG

what is an IRC?

and I liked and sometimes used the old chat room.

would like to see it return.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude
what is an IRC?

and I liked and sometimes used the old chat room.

would like to see it return.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Internet Relay Chat. Its how us computer dorks used to communicate with each other (and still do). Basically any user can open up a 'channel' on an IRC server (i.e, freenode.net). For example, I can connect to freenode.net right now and create an sg101 channel. Then invite anybody to join at the channel called #sg101 or something similar. All you need is an IRC client (which are freely downloadable).

Ryan

IRC server..... Hmmm

I would like to see something like that...

Adding another 'me too' response Smile

Interactive chats would be useful for when we have immediate questions ('I can't do the transcription and/or play this section..' embed MP3...'can you help')

...it would also be a nice way for those of us who aren't in the USA to be able to interactively compare notes with our international friends Very Happy

(edit)Far better, I think, if we actually had a web-based IRC client available on SurfGuitar101 (for those without their own) and host the chat as a channel on freenode.net or similar. This means the loading would only be on the user's machine and SurfGuitar101 would only provide the link to freenode.net and wouldn't have to bear any load from servicing the chat.

Just a thought...

I'm as free from money as a frog is from feathers

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008 21:49:42

again with the "me too"
if we got enough traffic though, it might be a good idea to actually have a couple rooms. I've seen how easily we get off topic. Maybe one for just general discussion and one for surf subjects?

http://about.me/nicholaus.lee

I'm investigating setting up a private IRC server. Why? Well why not, I want to learn how. Smile

I can't imagine the load or bandwidth would be a problem, as realistically there won't be too many of us using it (based on past experience). And it's freaking text, not voice or video. Wink

Once it is up, someone will have to make some instructions for downloading, installing, and configuring a client, probably with screen shots to help our less geeky brethren. There are web clients available, and I'll look into those too. I have seen sites similiar to ours running them.

Nice Brian! Now I just need to set up a ssh tunnel into my linux box so that I can do irc from work Twisted Evil

I'd be happy to help out on a how-to on setting up an irc client (I'm assuming on Windoze?) I don't know what clients are available for Windoze as I use irssi on linux, but a quick google should reveal a few bazillion of them Wink

Brian, do you use any particular irc clients that you like?

Ryan

Ryan I have very limited experience with irc, so I'll need your help (on the client side). I used it a few years ago but not very much.

I see that there is a ChatZilla add-on that integrates with Firefox and a few other browsers. Perhaps something like that would be easy to setup for folks.

I have found what looks like a nice, small, stable, daemon that I'll try to get running soon:

http://ngircd.barton.de/

Cool. Just let me know when you have something up, and I'll try and hit it from my irc client (irssi) from home. Then I'll take a look at a few user-friendly clients and try and put something on paper.

Ryan

I think I'll get a wiki going for the site too, and we can have IRC client setup info put there. Wow my plate is full. Smile

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next