Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Iron Maiden Rules the World

Goto Page: Previous 1 211 12 13 14 15

You don't like driving though the lovely state of Florida?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

No DC area shows either. Argh

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

DETROIT ROCK CITY!!! "SCREAM FOR ME, DETROIT!!!!!" We will, Bruce, WE WILL! Headbang

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

bigtikidude wrote:

You don't like driving though the lovely state of Florida?

Ha. I do not. Love visiting South Florida, but driving to it is soul-sucking. It's flat, boring and TAKES FOREVER.

Well, well...

Here I am, listening to the complete studio discography of Iron Maiden in chronological order, for the very first time.

I was into metal for a few years as a teenager before moving on to punk. But I was mostly into the thrash subgenre and I sneered at more "traditional" bands, especially Maiden. With their harmonized solos, trademark "galloping" rhythm, reverbed wailing vocals, clichéd lyrics, not to mention campy horror-based imagery and spandex-and-leather attire, they embodied the epitome of lameness to my rebellious adolescent ears. Which is why I never gave their music a chance at the time, as much from personal distaste as from fear of being ridiculed by my friends.

A few years ago I heard a friends' "joke metal" band play an incredible tongue-in-cheek cover of The Trooper. I made a mental note then to give Maiden an unbiased listen someday.

Well this day has come. Yesterday I borrowed every Maiden album from the library. That was bound to happen – they only have 3 surf albums, plus a few Ventures and Shadows ones Laughing

I'm in the middle of The X Factor as I'm typing this. Noticeable drop of quality from the previous albums, and it's not just the change of vocalist. And I've heard the following album is even worse. But I've enjoyed everything up to and including Seventh Son, maybe not enough to become a true fan, but at least to give them a listen every now and then. Which is as close to a thumbs-up a metal un-enthusiast such as me could give Laughing

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

You have a way to go past X factor. Bruce Dickinson returns to the fold.
Enjoy and congrats on spreading your musical wings.

I am not obsolete, I am RETRO.... Cool

Like baseball and Star Trek, Iron Maiden is great to re-discover later in life. Cool

Jonathan the Reverbivore

The Reverbivores

Please check out our latest album The Reverbivores Watch TV!

www.thereverbivores.com
Facebook
YouTube

h3dg3h0g wrote:

Like baseball and Star Trek, Iron Maiden is great to re-discover later in life. Cool

I'll stop at Maiden for now if that's all the same to you, thank you very much.
Wink

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

Last edited: May 07, 2017 13:57:39

Maiden, Maiden, Maiden!

The Me Gustas
https://themegustas.com

Goto Page: Previous 1 211 12 13 14 15