Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink HBKahuna's Second Annual Surf Jam!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Sorry Tim.

Most of the original stuff I get to hear is due to other bands covering it. One of my favorite songs, yet I've never heard the original, is The Truant. Bikini Drag is another. Killer tunes.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008 18:08:08

Sorry Tim,
for the threadjack.

wish I could have been there too,
and I would have(even if it was just to watch) if I hadn't already had other plans. damn. too much to do in So. Cal. sometimes.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

SQUAD CAR VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdkEc26_VVs

I'll re-encode it later, See if I can make it look better... for now...

THe NEpTuNeS

HBkahuna

WR

JakeDobner
due to how hard it is for us to find the old stuff.

yes, if only there was like some global communication system where you could buy everything from everyone from all over the world without leaving your living room.... Hmmm

oh wait, you mean, there isnt much classic stuff available through filesharing Evil Evil Evil Evil

sorry for the threadjack, please continue discussing the jam.

Wouldnt there be some better location for such a jam, say a bar or some place cool on the beach?

Someone call the Sky Marshal, this thread has been hijacked!!!!

WR, re you excellent suggestion, I have thought of something at the beach many times.. I was a bit surprised in the overwhelming interest when I sent out invites. We are going to do this again only in a much larger studio very soon. We will see what develops. I'm in hopes Tom from the Neptunes will bless us with some video very soon.

What can you say about true surf legends like Eddie Bertrand & Tim Fitzpatrick? They drove over an hour each way in the middle of the night to be a part of this. It shows what they are made of, as if there was every any doubt. There were many others that drove considerable distance to play in this. It was gratifying for me to be able to facilitate this kind of camaraderie.

Idea I have an idea this would be a killer idea to put together an official SG101 convention (Surf music expo) in SoCal were once a year all SG101ers gather in one place to meet, sell cds and merch, work shops, open mics Idea Brian what do you think it could be something that can be planned and have it down in stone in a year or two the date and place maybe over a summer????

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

It was great to see the video of "Squad Car". I just gotta move to CA!

Sign me up for the convention.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Eddie was an absolute blast to watch and hear! That amp was getting some real grind going! So he had a very smooth lead tone! Nice! It was an honor to play with him!

I was impressed by the number of classic surf songs that Chris from the AquaSonics knows! A human surf collection! And he nails 'em all!

Tim Fitzpatrick form the Lively Ones was there, and he got grilled by Hap and I for stories of being in the Lively Ones! Tony played drums too, so there was no lack of skills on the skins that night as well!
Mac and Tony from outer wave were there as well Jeff (Mac) blew me away when he pulled out a Merman riff, NAILING every nuance. Mac did some amazing picking all night. Great Right hand. Really it was a room full of tone monsters: John Benton, Amp gourmet from the Eliminators, Lively Ones and Surfaris, Joe Kurkowsik from the Eliminators With a KILLER red-sparkle-matching-headstock JAG! Each guy a surf master in his own right!

It was a real Treat to meet Jim Firas he is a Nice guy, no, Great guy! really fun to talk to and a rippin sax player, and he KNOWS his tequila! Passing out shots to the players! We all had a smile after that!

Frank Hughes from the Eliminators played bass SUPER solid bass player, and traded duties with Markus, who also played drums for us on a few tunes as well!

Tim and Maui sat in for a bunch of songs sometimes it was hard to tell who was doing what but none of it sounded bad! That poor little Deluxe had too much vintage blonde-ness to compete with volume wise.

WHEW who cares how hot it was!!!

THe NEpTuNeS

Wow, that looked like it was a blast!! Would have loved to have seen that first hand.

Kyle, I love your idea man. Now that sounds fun!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

,, Sad

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008 18:08:53

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008 18:09:33

Markus, Chris and I just got back to Colorado after a super great trip to So Cal.
We all felt honored and just had a great time at the surf Jam on Friday night.
We just watched the Squad Car Video. VERY Cool Tom. Thanks a ton !

Markus Here...

Loved Trading off with Tim F. on the drums. Man, he's a really cool guy. He even helped me out on some form info on the fly. Way cool. Also loved jammin with Tony. He's a cool guy too.
So... I don't what snaggles talkin about.

Thanks all you guys for one heck of a good time. A truly memerable experience...

Maui back:
Anyway, I took some pictures I will post later.
Once again the Surf Music community at ground zero was super friendly and hospitable to us; and we can't wait to return in August ! !

We are looking forward to playing at the Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly weekend with The Dynotones in April !!!!

Maui
We are looking forward to playing at the Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly weekend with The Dynotones in April !!!!

Hey Aquasonics!! We shall see YOU at the Tiki Pool Party! Cheers

Shave your back loser
MissyLu
http://www.MissyLu.com
http://www.norcalknockout.com
http://www.LiveandJive.com

Okay, the thread has been "tidied". I hope everyone realizes this doesn't happen all the time. Usually I just get mad and delete the whole thread, but this looks like a truly special event. I deleted most of the off-topic stuff, so it may not read right.

And oh, just to head off any future "discussions", I just want to point out that Tim Fitzpatrick plays drums in the Dynotones in addition to his legendary status as The Lively Ones drummer. Let's just chalk the fact that this wasn't mentioned before up to people not knowing, there wasn't any malice involved, okay? Let's all be friends again. Cheers

Please continue discussing this cool event.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008 19:30:08

Open for business again. Please please please don't derail it again. Crying

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian
this looks like a truly special event.

Yeah this looks like it must have been a tremendous blast. This type of thing should happen more often throughout the surf community... once I'm good enough to participate. Laughing

Well I had a blast meeting some of the SG101 regs last weekend..
It would be a GREAT idea to have a SG101 convention.... I would surely be there....with my rum.. Smile

very slight, quick reply to Jenny O
Look at the show announcements for the big Feb 23rd show.

Sorry I missed the jam, I will plan on being at the next one for sure.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

This was a great night - but I'm not going to post any photos or info here about it, no disrespect to SurfNeptune or HBKahuna, or to Brian. i don't feel like this thread is a place I want to come back to - a lot of the good info has been deleted, and it has a bad vibe to it, so

I started a new thread - and If you want to repost your comments about the jam, please do so.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

HISTORY BUMP!

For the really serious nerds out there, this is the thread in which Kyle first mentioned the idea to have an official SG101 gathering (see above):

I have an idea this would be a killer idea to put together an official SG101 convention (Surf music expo) in SoCal were once a year all SG101ers gather in one place to meet, sell cds and merch, work shops, open mics Idea Brian what do you think it could be something that can be planned and have it down in stone in a year or two the date and place maybe over a summer????

SG101!

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next