PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
179 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
158 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
120 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
81 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
4 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The Guitar Amp Handbook

Page 1 of 1

Has anyone read this book: The Guitar Amp Handbook: Understanding Tube Amplifiers and Getting Great Sounds by Dave Hunter?

It gets pretty good reviews at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087930863X/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=ITFRTH4MMSU0E&colid=1A4J5FQ370108

I haven't read it, but I recently ordered that one and Fender Amps: The First Fifty Years by John Teagle and John Sprung.

The Exotics 1994-Current
The Chickenshack - www.wmse.org
www.thedoghouseflowers.com
www.uptownsavages.com

sounds pretty cool, i'll probably have to buy it. thanks for posting this!

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

jp
I haven't read it, but I recently ordered that one and Fender Amps: The First Fifty Years by John Teagle and John Sprung.

I hope you didn't get it from Amazon and select super saver shipping! I ordered the first Dave Hunter book in October, then canceled after they postponed shipping it until it went out of stock and wasn't expected back in until APRIL!

The Hunter book is cool (thumbed through it but don't have a copy yet...) because it goes into some technical detail about how amps work, has some good pics of a variety of amps, and at the end shows you an example of building your own amp. Plus...ALL books in that Dave Hunter series are a good value if you get them for around $16.

I have the second book (1st 50 years) and it's a great book and worth getting for an overview of Fender amps. From a gear nut's perspective it left me wanting more though in terms of both circuit detail and photos...I can probably say the same critique about ANY gear book though with the exception of the "Blackguard" book on Telecasters which has the most detail and best photos of any guitar book I've read to date.

I also have this one: http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Tone-Celebrating-Years-Fender/dp/0634056131/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b
It's also a good book (although on the 'pricier' side) and comes with two CDs so you can hear demos of many of the amps. It has some nice pics but falls short in the technical department. The CDs also could have been better with more audio clips of different amps and shorter dialogue between the clips. Still, it's worth getting in my opinion and has some cool interviews and discussions about the origins of Fender amps.

www.apollo4.com

I have Dave Hunter's book and like it o.k.

A related book I have is Dave Funk's "Tube Amp Workbook, Complete Guide to Vintage Tube Amplifiers, Volume 1 - Fender". It's more Fender specific. If you're interested, Google: Tube Amp Workbook. Amazon doesn't have it.

tenderfoot
Has anyone read this book: The Guitar Amp Handbook: Understanding Tube Amplifiers and Getting Great Sounds by Dave Hunter?

It gets pretty good reviews at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087930863X/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=ITFRTH4MMSU0E&colid=1A4J5FQ370108

I've got it, and I think it's very good. I definitely recommend it.
I want to get Tom Wheeler's new book on Fender amps. Maybe
Santa hasn't been watching me, and will leave it under the tree.

Bob

Bob

Well I have ordered the Guitar Amp Handbook. I like how it is suppose to cover the fundamentals as well as some more advanced concepts. Thanks for the other suggestions, I will look into them as well.

Page 1 of 1