Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
173 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
120 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink Date and Band info for Deek's Guitar Geek Fest

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Chris,
Tom of the Neptunes stays at a Motel by my house about 2 miles west for
about 50 bucks a nite.
and its not a freaky Crack Motel,
but its also not the Polynesian Paradise that is claims to be.
Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hell yeah, the polynesian rules...! Leaving am tomorrow.

I will be available on my cell (408) 355-3306 If anybody wants to meet somewhere!

THe NEpTuNeS

Brian
Don't ask me how I found this, but apparently "Shredmistress Rynata" from Germany is gonna be there:

http://www.myspace.com/shredmistressrynata

That was last year! IT was SWEET revenge to see a room full of people basically ignore her and take a break during her SHREDDING set to do other things... It was fun to be among like-minded folks!

THe NEpTuNeS

surfneptune

Brian
Don't ask me how I found this, but apparently "Shredmistress Rynata" from Germany is gonna be there:

http://www.myspace.com/shredmistressrynata

That was last year! IT was SWEET revenge to see a room full of people basically ignore her and take a break during her SHREDDING set to do other things... It was fun to be among like-minded folks!

I thought I was the only one not paying attention to her until I turned around a saw everyone else turned away too! I felt kind of sorry for her, but she didn't seem to care.

I kinda hope there is another lull in the entertainment, so I can talk to all the great people at the show.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

I cannot wait to get to sunny So Cal! This sub-zero weather is giving me an ache...................

weather report,
a bill chilly overnight and in the morning, but in the low to mid 70's in the day. we have had Santa Ana winds the last few days, but they should be gone by Fri. nite.

see you guys Sat.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

last minute bump.

Jeff(btd)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Any updates?? Who went?? PIX?? Video??
Was just wandering, this was a hot thread, and then........... Rolling Eyes

.......make the Mos' of it,
.....choose the 'rite stuff!
.........owner of 9 Mosrites
proud owner and documented:
1963 "The Ventures" Model s/n# 0038
http://www.vintagerock4.com
www.mosriteforum.com

I dont do video or Pix, sorry.

I just go and enjoy.

Most of the people that play I can't remember their names, as Im not into that stuff and don't need to remember it.
but they all play amazingly well.

The Jimmy Wilsey Set was short but sweet.
some people were pretty impressed, and some people thought he plays to slow.
I thought Teisco Del Rey was really good, but needs to turn up the Reverb, why have a tank on stage if I can't hear it. awful expensive piece of equipment to not use to its best sound abilities.
I thought his Guitorgan playing was a little stale, pretty simple chord stuff with not alot of movement. Dave Sherman of the Hillbilly Soul Surfers is way better on Guitorgan. But it was cool to see Teisco finally. and the back up band for him was killer. Steve and Paul were on it. But Pete Curry on Drums was an Animal. Especially.
I'm glad I went and saw the 2 hour show on Sun nite as well, as everybody got to play alot more.

The Collins Kids was a Blast, those 2 and the back up band were on Fire.
I don't really know much of their stuff, but I've been told that I should dig some up. The Guy really ripped on guitar on a few songs,
Glad I stayed for that. Some left early and missed a killer finally to a great long show.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hey Jeff,

Were the DVD of the last 2 shows available? I can't wait to get them...it's the only way I'm gonna see these guys.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Rev,
no Deke was very sad about that.
but he said they will be soon, and he'll get on this years show asap.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I was there for most of it. First I want to thank Jeff(bigtikidude) for posting the announcement about this, I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

I got to the Jolly Roger (the motel hosting it) at 3:00 only to find there was no parking. The NAMM show had any other nearby parking taken as well. Crap, had to park like a mile or two away. The long walk didn't do a pinched nerve in my back any good either. I missed the opening set, which was something like a talent showcase. When I got in it looked like all the seats were taken, which made me not look forward to how my back would feel standing for a long time.

I came in just before James Wilsey went on. I really was looking forward to seeing him. I really dug his style. In some ways the opposite of surf, he plays slowly, really working some of the notes with a lot of subtle whammy bar, flexing the neck, etc. To use a cliche' "tone for days" lots of sustain, vibrato and reverb. I could have listened to him for a lot longer but they had to get through all the bands. They did have him close with "Wicked Game" from his Chris Isaak days.

Next up was Lester Peabody, who is from Finland, so I have to assume that isn't his given name. In my mind very much a Chet Atkins style of player. Impeccable playing, maybe not my favorite type of music but enjoyable to listen to. Also had a singer, Marti Brom, come up for a few songs.

After that was the all-Bigsby band, but I wandered off to get dinner and sit to rest my back. Thought I would get back in time but totally missed it.

I think Junior Watson was next. Probably the highlight of the show. The crowd had gotten noticeably larger while I was gone. An eclectic musical selection, he did some blues, some surf, some of who knows what else. He played a take-off on Tequila that he called Chili Bean. Also a surf medley at the end that was excellent if lacking in the reverb department. A very enthusiastic standing ovation at the end. See him if you ever have the chance.

Next was Alex Gregory doing heavy metal mandolin. Listened to a song or two but just couldn't get into it so I went to the bathroom.

Brian Lonbeck was now up. I'm generally not into country but I could get into what he was all about. Played things like East Bound and Down, Sugarfoot Rag, The Orangeblossom Special. Reminded me that there used to be good country music. Also a very gracious man, paid tribute to Joe Maphis, who he has played with in the past and pointed out that Joe Maphis' widow was there.

Then Deke Dickerson and Crazy Joe went on. Both of them had been playing at various times with some of the other acts as well, now it was their turn to headline. They had this contraption on stage that they described as weighing 500 lbs. It looked like something from a 50's sci-fi movie. They went direct in to it and played against a tape backing track for a song or two. Also did a thing where they both got into an orange jumpsuit and played a double-neck simultaneously. This was my first time seeing them and I was looking forward to it after watching some youtube videos. However it just didn't seem to flow well, they had some down time with string breakage and getting in and out of the jumpsuit. Liked it while they were playing though. The short set length just did them in with all the things they were trying.

Finally Teisco Del Rey went on, along with some of our surf favorites backing him. This was the first act I actually had CD's of (not counting James Wilsey on Chris Isaak). Really wanted to hear him live. He did not disappoint. His song Twang-o has a dirty vibrato tone that I really find appealing. I was hoping he would have the Guitorgan and he did use it for about half his set, I remember reading the article he wrote about the Guitorgan in Guitar Player magazine ages ago. I do remember he wrote that it is very heavy and therefore a bear to play standing up. Thankfully he seemed to play for longer than his alloted time. One problem was that I was standing in back near the door and was getting irritated by the number of people talking while the band was on. To me this is like talking during a movie, I know it's something of a social gathering but since I couldn't get any closer I was pretty much stuck with it.

By this time it was 11:00 and since I was driving the three plus hours home that night, along with the long walk back to the car, I had to miss the Collins Kids. Sorry I did after reading Jeff's post.

I'll try to make the next guitargeekfestival, only get there sooner and score a seat. Purchased about $100 worth of CD's that I'm going through now. I wish James Wilsey would have had one for sale but apparently it isn't ready yet. TNM custom guitars had some hotrod surf CD that sold out before I could get one. Loving the Junior Watson CD.

Great shots!

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

NICE PIX!! Thumbs Up

.......make the Mos' of it,
.....choose the 'rite stuff!
.........owner of 9 Mosrites
proud owner and documented:
1963 "The Ventures" Model s/n# 0038
http://www.vintagerock4.com
www.mosriteforum.com