Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
330 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
258 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
258 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
178 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
156 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
125 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
118 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
79 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
12 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
12 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink making the plunge

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5

diceophonic

Mrgreen
I have the 25 watt version of the Frontman and it isn't powerful enough when you want to rehearse with a full band.

Mr. Green I was just thinking about you guys when this came out 2 months ago
it's got blackface features and vibe at half the cost, it's not tube but heck it's a 2x12 Spring reverb a 100 watts, it's the same size as a '65 Twin Reverb Amp! and the price is dam cheap $325 it also has a vintage style red Pilot Jewel light!
Fender Frontman 212R 100W 2x12 Guitar Combo

Hey Kyle how've you been? Thanks for thinking of us.

Like three weeks ago I was checking out the Guitar Center website and I stumbled across that very same amp, and I thought "Hey, that's a very cool amp!" but I've been patiently saving for quite some time and I think I'll be doing a little gear-grabbing trip very soon so I saved just enough for a Hot Rod Deville 2x12 and a Classic Series 60's Stratocaster so I'm retiring my Frontman and the Squier. I can hardly wait. I am probably going to lend the Frontman and the Squier Strat to our new rhythm guitarist, Fatima because her amp is like 10 watts or something ha ha and her current guitar is a super uncomfortable Washburn.

What are your thoughts on the setup I'm planning to buy? Do you think it's a good option?

Augusto Vite

www.facebook.com/carne.y.cosas

I've probably been reading too much again Smile ...but I was reading the off-site articles about tube amps listed in the 'Links' section of SG101... and it got me to thinking..

I did have troubles with my (Squier) Strat that the volume/tone pots were the wrong way 'round, that is there were linear pots where there should be log pots, etc.

I wonder if the same thing might be going on with the volume control on the amp? There does seem to be a large chaneg in volume at the low end of the volume range and nothing much happens in the top of the range... Maybe MyTech(tm) could advise... or maybe Mrgreen, seeing you have a similar model, you could have a listen to the response on your 25 and see how it runs?

Thanks for the thoughts, folks.

I'm as free from money as a frog is from feathers

ozboomer
I've probably been reading too much again Smile ...but I was reading the off-site articles about tube amps listed in the 'Links' section of SG101... and it got me to thinking..

I did have troubles with my (Squier) Strat that the volume/tone pots were the wrong way 'round, that is there were linear pots where there should be log pots, etc.

I wonder if the same thing might be going on with the volume control on the amp? There does seem to be a large chaneg in volume at the low end of the volume range and nothing much happens in the top of the range... Maybe MyTech(tm) could advise... or maybe Mrgreen, seeing you have a similar model, you could have a listen to the response on your 25 and see how it runs?

Thanks for the thoughts, folks.

Sure, my Frontman's volume increases proportionally from 1 to 7 but from 7 to 10 it just distorts horribly. One thing you should think of, regarding these amps is that they're sorta cheap and made in Taiwan or someplace like that so I wouldn't really expect much from them you know? If your playing mostly takes place inside your house you've got an ok amp but if you have more serious musical purposes you should think of something better. I also suggest getting earphones with the 1/4 plug or adapter so you can practice more silently.

Hope that helps

Augusto Vite

Mrgreen

diceophonic

Mrgreen
I have the 25 watt version of the Frontman and it isn't powerful enough when you want to rehearse with a full band.

Mr. Green I was just thinking about you guys when this came out 2 months ago
it's got blackface features and vibe at half the cost, it's not tube but heck it's a 2x12 Spring reverb a 100 watts, it's the same size as a '65 Twin Reverb Amp! and the price is dam cheap $325 it also has a vintage style red Pilot Jewel light!
Fender Frontman 212R 100W 2x12 Guitar Combo

Hey Kyle how've you been? Thanks for thinking of us.

Like three weeks ago I was checking out the Guitar Center website and I stumbled across that very same amp, and I thought "Hey, that's a very cool amp!" but I've been patiently saving for quite some time and I think I'll be doing a little gear-grabbing trip very soon so I saved just enough for a Hot Rod Deville 2x12 and a Classic Series 60's Stratocaster so I'm retiring my Frontman and the Squier. I can hardly wait. I am probably going to lend the Frontman and the Squier Strat to our new rhythm guitarist, Fatima because her amp is like 10 watts or something ha ha and her current guitar is a super uncomfortable Washburn.

What are your thoughts on the setup I'm planning to buy? Do you think it's a good option?

I'm doing well thanks for asking Wink

I am always looking out for my surfin' friends like your self's!!!
Man yes a 2x12 Hot Rod Deluxe 2x12 all tube will do awesome even better then the Frontman 212R I was showing you and a an excellent choice of guitar a 60s strat it doesn't get any better then that!! are you getting a rosewood or maple neck? what color?

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

It's gonna be rosewood, Inca Silver or Candy Apple Red. The thing is that the 50's series has better colors like Fiesta Red, Daphne Blue and Surf Green but they're only available on maple and the 60's ones are only offered in rosewood, so it was really a tough choice discarding the maple necks, but I really prefer rosewood.

Augusto Vite

Inca and candy apple are awesome colors, Go with Inca Silver!!! if you dig rosewood then go with rosewood, I use to be into maple necks but nah I love the sound of rosewood necks.

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Mrgreen
One thing you should think of, regarding these amps is that they're sorta cheap and made in Taiwan or someplace like that so I wouldn't really expect much from them you know?

Uh-huh.. ..and given the sort of use I'm making of my current set-up, I guess I'll make-do with fiddling volume, etc at the guitar end.. I'm mainly starting to get back into some basic recording at home, so I guess I don't need to worry too much about the amp in my application..

Maybe when I get to playing with some other people, I'll re-visit it.

Thanks again for the suggestions..

I'm as free from money as a frog is from feathers

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5