PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
180 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
158 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
120 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
81 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
4 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Bassman Circuitry

Page 1 of 1

Anybody know what the sonic differences are between the AA864 and AB165 Bassman circuits? I'm looking for a bassman and, having heard good things about AA864's, I've been wondering if that would be something worth being extra patient for. Anybody able to compare the two?

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 15:35:16

short and sweet AB165 was a CBS creation, CBS messed with the circuit, AA864 pre-CBS man this circuit is more guitar friendly then AB165 IMO, AA864 has more brilliant tone and presence that's why I went with a '64 Bassman that sold me! that's what I did before I got into a Bassman I compared both heads through the same 2x12 cab to hear the differences

Back in '06 The Kilaueas! from Germany came to the west coast on tour and they hit Portland and we hosted and we had them stay with us, When they came over to my place Ralf played through my '64 Bassman and he was sold, each city they played at they used a backline, he especialy requested to play my Bassman for thier Portland show he was very impressed and amazed at the circuit AA864 tone! and back home he plays through a '64 Showman

here's a few shots of them at my place trying out my Bassman

Here's Ralf at the show playing through my '64 Bassman

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

zak
I don't think you will hear any real "sonic differences" - the difference between the circuits lies in how the bias is adjusted.

Nah man the circuit is a big part of it, biasing, tubes, speakers are the last things especially the speakers will have the last say in tonal/sonic differences, you can have the hottest killer head around but the speakers are the last say in interpreting the circuit's sound.

-Kyle

The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

It's hard to pin down what an AB165 really is unless you're looking right at the circuit board. A BF AB165 looks different than an early SF drip edge AB165. In fact, Fender changed something in the Bassman just about every year they were in production. I've been inside a couple of dozen of these amps and I can honestly say that no two have ever looked alike.

That being said, you need to look at the schematic/layout drawings of the AA864 and the AA165/AB165 to see where the major differences lie (and they're throughout the circuit....not just in the bias section). The differences are subtle but they do have a large effect in the overall tone of the amp. It's worth it, even with a BF AB165 to mod it back to the AA864 circuit. I have no qualms about doing this mod, since, in the end, it's a better amp.

BTW - My favorite Bassmans are the blonde era circuits.

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 15:35:27

I cant say for the ab165 and I dont have time to check the circuits, but I recently swapped the circuitboard of my aa371 (the one after ab165) for a aa864 board (well, normal channel only, as I was short of time, parts and mood Smile ) and the differnece is pretty major. I dont buy the preCBS -price-s-through-the-roof mantra, there great post '65 stuff around, buut in this case.... pretty much the differnece between a great beer, and a great beer, but someone peed in it....

as said, conversions are really not that hard, and shouldnt run more than 200 bucks, less if you have friends. just something to think about.

look at the schematics to judge how ab165 compares to all of this, as I dont have time to check.

KYLE: ditto on the speakers, but wooza's asking which head ceteris paribus Smile

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Back dating a circuit is another excellent option and it's always reversible.

-Kyle

The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

WR
KYLE: ditto on the speakers, but wooza's asking which head ceteris paribus Smile

It was only more candy for the cake, I know he wasn't asking about speakers, I was just simply sharing the Bassman/Amp as a whole, the big picture in decision making and the comparisons if you have the luxury to but the heads to the test with the cab you already have or the shop has Wink when I bought my 64' Bassman I took my 2x12 cab to make the comparison and that help out tons to make the call of AA864 or AB165
so the winner for me was AA864 just trying to help out mate Wink

-Kyle

The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

diceophonic
It was only more candy for the cake

yummie, Kyle! Thumbs Up

Wooza, I looked at the schematics quickly, main differnece is that from AB165 and onwards, the normal channel has the extra gainstage of the basschannel. My guess is this is what makes it sound muffled, with a bottomhavy sound and unfocussed lows. BUT, when I changed from aa731 to aa864, I put in a entire new board, so maybe all fresh caps helped too. I didnt use any boutique parts, caps were Webers, vishay and nobrands, no carbon comp reistors either. just fyi.

consider that with any old amp you buy, you most likly want a tune up anyway. If I were you Id get a quote froma local tech for a complete check-up AND a aa864-conversion of a SF or AB165. then make a lsit of what your options are, set a price for what you want to pay max for all types of bassman, and then start looking.

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Good advice. Thanks Wannes.

Page 1 of 1