Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
331 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
259 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
259 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
179 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
157 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
119 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
80 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
13 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
13 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fender Standard Precision Bass, or Jazz bass?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Ok guys and gals, I want to buy a bass guitar. I don't know the difference without going down to the store and checking them out. Which I plan to do shortly.
But I am hopeing for some advice before I go. I would like either a standard Jazz or standard Precision bass. To be used for ah Hmmm surf music, and maybe a little country music also.
I wont be playing it in a band, as far as I know. So it will be just for my intertainment and for using on recordings. Therefore I want to keep the price under $500.00

Thanks
Joel

In my book, the main differences between the Precision and Jazz are:

Precision: slightly heavier weight overall, single split-pickup, 'beefier' neck which is wider at the nut. Slightly increased string spacing at the bridge.

Jazz: slightly lighter weight, dual pickups, "skinnier" neck which is narrower at the nut. Tighter string spacing.

Each has a somewhat unique tone...but, you'll definitely need to check that aspect out in person.

good luck,
-dp

ps: you might also consider trying out the new Fender Jaguar Bass: from what I've been hearing, it's a sweet one! About US $600 on the street.

my preference is the P-Bass, but DP is right, you should try both out. To me the P-bass gets that nice vintage thump that you like to hear in surf music.

I recently bought a Wilson Bros Ventures Bass for dirt cheap on ebay. It was an incredible value. My only beef with it is that there is not a good place to plant your thumb on the right hand. The pick-ups are not straight up and the pick guard does not cut it for a good plant. At time this makes it uncomfortable to play. For surf bass I like to use a pick, and this is not a huge factor. It still bothers me, because I enjoy playing bass more with my fingers for most styles.

Last edited: Nov 09, 2007 19:16:58

I used to like Jazz Basses and played a copy in a band. I've now quit playing in that band and my love for Jazz Basses has gone down a bit. I like the early 50s P-bass that the Fender Custom Shop is making now.

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

WaimeaBay
My only beef with it is that there is not a good place to plant your thumb on the right hand. The pick-ups are not straight up and the pick guard does not cut it for a good plant. At time this makes it uncomfortable to play.

You could give the Entwistle thumb-plant a try.

He planted his thumb at the neck/body joint and plucked somewhere above fret 21-24...

He would also plant the thumb right on the low-E string...both work pretty well...

A good Jazz Bass with some good flats will go a long way.

I am super sweet
www.myspace.com/thetremblors

They're both great basses. Coming from guitar, I'll bet you will like the feel of the jazz better. Personally, I like the wider string spacing of the Precision. (I also love Jamerson, Duck Dunn, Carol Kaye and the early L.A./ Hitsville/Stax Volt classic P-bass players.)

Really, in your heart you know you need both. Twisted Evil

disclaimer: my current bass is a 90s Ibanez ATK 305 Confused

Just recently retired my P-Bass Special in favor of one of the new Jaguar Basses. Nice feel to it and lots of options on tone, plus its lighter than "the beast". Playing out of a Dual Showmen for large venues and a 59 RI Bassman LTD for small venues. The band loves the sound.

John
www.soundwavessurfband.com

I also have the Jaguar Bass, except I tore the active electronics out, went for a '62 RI setup (vol/tone, vol/tone), and replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncan Antiquity II pickups. Now it is a great player, with a great sound to boot.

I am super sweet
www.myspace.com/thetremblors

I prefer the P-Bass. because its it has more punch. And Sid Vicious played it.
the jazz is maybe more versatile with the two pickups. maybe better for recording. but live I would go for the P.
+the jazz looks silly if not played at your knees!

Cool:

Thanks for the info guys. I went to a lot of the web sites of the bands listed in the links section, to look at pictures of what everyone is using.
It appears that Jazz or Precision basses are what is being used. So as suggested, I will be trying both out.

Thanks again. I'll let you all know what I buy.

Joel

I prefer the neck on a Jazz Bass. I am also a sucker for the offset waist styling...Of course, they don't look right without the ashtray and pickup cover.

P-Basses are classic though, and they sound great.

It's really a tough decision!

I like the neck on a P-bass better, I find that I have a little more "wiggle room" down around frets 1-5 (where 95% of bass playing is done).

However, I do prefer the offset style of a J-Bass.

And of course, all the chrome accoutrements are a necessity.

~B~

BillAqua
I like the early 50s P-bass that the Fender Custom Shop is making now.

for a more budget friendly alternative, Fender makes a 50's p-bass in the mexico cklassic series, should be in your 500bucks budget. I recently played one and was mucho impressed, great bang for the buck, both qua sound and playability.

from what I heard from people playing them live, generally speaking, the pbass gives a more clean thuddy sound, the jazzbass has more low end grunt and sounds more focussed (and modern) to my ears. I think the pbass combines better with flatwound strinsg for that thuddy sound if that's what you're after.

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Over the years in the Exotics and the Nelsonics I played a number of different basses. A Jerry Jones Longhorn was my primary bass for the Exotics in the 90s. When we reformed in 2004 I played a Burns Bison and I also played a Wilson Brothers VM-75 which is essentially a Jazz Bass. In the Nelsonics I played a Japanese 52 P-Bass reissue and a Mexican 60s Jazz Bass. Of all of them the only one that I found irreplaceable is the 60s Jazz Bass. Mine is Olympic White, has a sweet neck and for the money is one of the best basses that I have ever played. I cannot recommend the MIM 60s Jazz Bass enough. P-Basses are great for Blues, Country and a lot of rock, but to me Surf/Instro needs to be played on a Jazz Bass.

The Exotics 1994-Current
The Chickenshack - www.wmse.org
www.thedoghouseflowers.com
www.uptownsavages.com

WR

Thanks for the suggestion.

The (Standard models) P-bass and Jazz bass are both under $500.00, but no where can I find them as being made in Mexico at the Fender web site. But at both the Sam Ash and the Guitar Center web sites the Standards are said to be made in Mexico. I have a broken leg at this time, and am a little slowed down, or I would know by now, but I plan on going to Guitar Center tomorrow and checking them both out.
I'll give feed back tomorrow night. ( 11-13-2007)

Joel

I wanna second the recommendation for the Fender 50's "Classic Series" Precision Bass. Those things are incredibly sweet for the price, which, depending on what kind of deal you can find on a slightly used one on eBay, would be under your $500 mark.

But I'd also I'd like to speak up for the regular "Standard Series." I've had A LOT of basses; way more basses than guitars. One of the ones I miss the most was a regular Standard Precision. I bought it beat up for $200, cleaned it up, replaced the bridge, and played the heck out of it for a couple of years because it was something "cheap" that I wouldn't have to worry about. I sold it and have regretted it since. It was a surprisingly GOOD sounding and playing bass. I had several basses at the time and always reached for it first.

I also had a Mike Dirnt signature Precision that I loved. It was the best sounding bass I ever had and those can be had for less than $500 if you catch a used one. The guy I sold it to promised me right of first refusal if he ever sold it, but then he sold it less than a year later without letting me know. It was extremely heavy but I loved the big, beefy neck and it had great P-bass rumble and punch.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Well as I stated earlier, I know little about bass guitars. But at my age I know what I like.

Today I went down to Guitar Center and fell in love with my new bass. I tried several Jazz and P-basses, but the Midnight Wine colored Jazz bass caught my heart.
I did play a P-bass that I really liked, it was made of ash wood. It was lighter than the Jazz bass. But the color was clear and it had a turtle shell pickgaurd that just made it look uglier than sin. It did sound nice though.

So because they only had the Jazz in the color I liked, I went with the heavier Jazz bass. Thanks for all the great input. It helped a lot.
Now all I gotta do is learn how to play those telephone cables... Shocked

Joel

Here a photo. Please welcome Romeo...

Joelman
WRThanks for the suggestion.

The (Standard models) P-bass and Jazz bass are both under $500.00, but no where can I find them as being made in Mexico at the Fender web site. But at both the Sam Ash and the Guitar Center web sites the Standards are said to be made in Mexico. I have a broken leg at this time, and am a little slowed down, or I would know by now, but I plan on going to Guitar Center tomorrow and checking them both out.
I'll give feed back tomorrow night. ( 11-13-2007)

Joel

Usually all the decade models are Mexican, for instance the 60's classic series stuff, whereas the year specific are American.

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

Joelman
...Today I went down to Guitar Center and fell in love with my new bass. I tried several Jazz and P-basses, but the Midnight Wine colored Jazz bass caught my heart....

Here a photo. Please welcome Romeo...

Nice Bass! Congratulations!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next