PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
179 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
158 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
120 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
81 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
3 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Starting a surf band

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

For all you guys and gals out there in bands, what was the hardest part? I'm in Utah and I guess the surf scene never really caught on. I'm dying to start a surf instro band, but have not had any luck as of yet. I haven't played for five years (wife, kids, job, etc) but really want to get back into playing. This time I'm determined to play the music I've always wanted to play. Any suggestions? Should I give up and go back to playing generic rock and roll?

Either you surf, or you fight.

I think your biggest hurdle is going to be the mindset that you have to find people who enjoy surf music to be in the band. If you know any musicians ask if they want to be in the band, it doesn't matter if they enjoy surf or not. If they are a decent musician then there is no reason they can't be in the band.

Hey funky dude ,
I did the same thing ,took off for 20 years to raise a family and all that. I think Jake said it, if you can find some REAL players they will appreciate the music we all love, and go for it. I was a rock player till I caught the second wave with Jon and the Night Riders back in the early 80s. That was it , I was hooked. The funnest music I have ever played. You might have to go through a few people but don't give up , you'll fend em..Utah ? What ocean is that by? Just kidding , good luck ... Steve

What Jake & 1loudbass said... find musicians who share your passion and musical values. It'll make things that much more fun. Then when you play out, look for venues that will appreciate the genre - create your own market. You can also be the opening act for a more mainstream genre. I find audiences love an hour of surf before the rockers come onstage. Also, look for songs with crossover sounds, like Duane Eddy twang, that'll probably appeal to the Utah western crowd.

I live in Ft. Lauderdale where few surf bands exist. I am amazed at how many more musical surf venues there are in States & cities nowhere near the ocean. I suspect Utah will embrace it too.

CUTBACK

I live in michigan and i've been trying to find people who would be willing to be in a surf band for close to a year now. I've almost managed to get one off the ground right now, just waiting on a drummer. It's hard trying to wrangle up people who have the same mindset and enjoy the surf musics. Just keep talking to people about surf music, and get the word out there within the local music scene. Eventually someone will say something about dick dale or the ventures to someone who heard from someone that you were trying to get a surf band going and it'll all come back to you.

http://about.me/nicholaus.lee

Me and my buddy had a hard time starting our surf band. We started with some slight problems...
1. We live in the UK
2. In a <u>small </u>town on the East coast. (Kings Lynn pop.135,345)(but hey, at least we're on the coast!)(and i use the beach, albeit for parakarting not surfing, but hey)
3. We didnt know a single soul with our interests.
4. We were in a Synth pop duo, and owned loads of synths.(can you smell the issue? Shocked )

Luckily, we overcame our issues by selling the synths and buying guitars, and Marks (Stan Diego) brother is a drummer (who hadnt been in a band before so jumped at the chance!) and my brother-in-law is an 'ex'retired bassist, who was also pleased to be in any sort of band with his buddies.
Its all going very well! Wink

Persevere!

http://www.myspace.com/surfpunkdiscopanzer

Do you guys own any Moogs? I really want a Moog Source.

JakeDobner
Do you guys own any Moogs? I really want a Moog Source.

No, its all gone. Rolling Eyes I did have a Moog Satellite, but i smashed it up, live on stage! m/ Shocked m/

DanFrancisco_
2. In a <u>small </u>town ............... (Kings Lynn pop.135,345)........

i live in a town with a population of 1,200. it makes it very hard to find people to play with, so imagine trying to get a band together. our entire island, hatteras island, has a permanent population of 5,500.

at least i've been lucky enough to play with a few sg101ers that were here on vacation.

www.surfintheeye.com

At one time there was some surf action around Salt Lake City. Bob Dalley who wrote "Surfing Guitars...." and played with the Surf Raiders relocated there in the late '80s. Also there was a surf band called the Swamp Donkeys playing around Salt Lake City for a while. Good luck and DON'T give up...... Chase down Mel from the Messugga Beach Party. I think he knows Bob and might have a better handle on what was going on there in the mid to late '90s.......ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

What are your goals for the band? Classic covers, playing at lounges and occasional outdoor festivals? More aggressive style trying to appeal to younger crowds? Just jamming with some friends maybe playing a party once in a while? What you want to do will influence what players you get and how you get them.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Work up arrangements, and if you can write out a simple chord chart for each tune that you play lead on. This will help you memorize the song; if you find capable musicians it will make it much easier and quicker for them to learn the material. I arranged around 30 songs and made simple charts (in Word) when trying to start a surf/instro band. Eventually I found a bass player and another guitarist who were interested in playing this type of music. Having this much material ready to play gave the project a lot more credibility, I believe. It also allowed us to learn the material as a group much more quickly.

momsurfing_
i live in a town with a population of 1,200. it makes it very hard to find people to play with

lol, you win. I guess you'd count your blessings just to find another guitarist! Shocked Wink

I think it helps to be clear to potential band members about the style of music you'll play. If it's surf instro keep to that idea. Playing the type of music you enjoy is the key to keep on doing it. No point in joining a band whose musical tastes you don't like or having new members join who are keen on another style. Gets pretty tiring pretty quick.
Talk up what you want and you might be surprised at the people and opportunities that come along.
We found that by inviting people to come and jam with us they would either like surf music and be keen to join or would politely decline further invites.
Some nights the shed was full of people Drums, percusion, 2x sax, 2x bass, 3 guitars, keys. Noise: the neighbours love it. Complained when we moved the band to the drummers place!

Thanks for the replies everybody. I believe what sums it all up is that I need to stick to my guns on the style of music I want. It may take a lot longer to get a band together, but I'll be happier with doing surf. I've always wanted to, but have always been too wimpy about sticking to my ideas. Also, it's excellent advice to chart out everything. I have a nice growing collection of surf tabs and whatnot. I just need to do some more practicing on my own. Thanks again guys. You rock!!!

Either you surf, or you fight.

imafunkyman you've made the first step by publicly posting your interest in your chosen musical genre. Keep posting in bulletin boards etc. You might also want to set up a MySpace page with your profile and musical aspirations.
Another option is to go to a few open mic venues and network with other musicians.The most important thing is to get out there and get known. Best of luck with your search.

Marty

I have the same problem! But now I have found some who are interested!
It's great since I love going to studios and doing rehearsals and some lives.
An other problem is to find people that can work with and have a great time.
My first band ended up after a lot of arguements with the other guitarist and my second band with a lot of arguements with the drummer Laughing
I'm not the best guitar player but when I work hard I'd like the other players work hard too.
Hope now everything will go well! Rolling Eyes

Every word is like an unecessary stain on silence and nothingness.

momsurfing_
i live in a town with a population of 1,200. it makes it very hard to find people to play with, so imagine trying to get a band together.

Hey Mom,
Our original bassist came from Moss Beach, which has a population of 400 -- imagine how happy he was to find us! Granted, it's about 20 minutes from SF, but still.

~B~

I live in a town of 2500. 2498 of them have probably never heard surf music. Modern country and blues seem to be the most popular here. Fortunately, the Pyronauts are based nearby.

By the way, that really is the name of my town listed under "location". Rolling Eyes

Don

I live in Chicago and have had a tough time not only finding people with the same musical interests but also my same skill level. I stink. Really. And I really don't want to be with a bunch of guys or gals that will see me as dead weight. I'm playing once a week with a good friend of mine now who can play bass and drums and keyboard and we dork around but she HATES playing surf! She always wants to speed everything up and turn it into a punk song. Anyway, I'm sure we've all been in your same position so just keep looking. Maybe you can subvert someone and convince them to cross over after a couple jam sessions!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next