sysmalakian: HEY
81 days ago

BearJW: Hey groovy people!!
80 days ago

ProfRadar: SurfyBear compact
55 days ago

dp: stuffing, turkey, pie!
14 days ago

ozboomer: Are we doing a Members Compilation this year?
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

46%

46%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink What's everyones favorite surf amp?

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 211 12 13 14 15

desert_surfer wrote:

Just bought myself a shiny new Fender ‘65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue since Guitar Center had it for a steal on their Guitar-a-thon sale. I’ve had a reissue DR for many years and sold it, trying to fuel my GAS for other amps. I’ve since missed that amp dearly and the amps after that have not been the same (except for my Vox AC-10 which is beautiful and just as good, but different flavor). Seeing the DR price skyrocket over the past year made me feel like it would be out of reach, however the sale knocked almost $500 off the price, so it was a no-brainer. Ends up also being a 75th anniversary logo on it too, which is cool to have.

Reunited with my true love/desert island amp and it feels so good. Perfect size, reverb/tremolo to die for (sometimes I don’t even need my SurfyBear, it’s so good), and classic surf tone and beyond. I’ll never sell this amp again, as the rest don’t do it for me (except for the Vox). Build quality is so much better than the Princeton Reverb (Deluxe made in USA vs Princeton China) and to me the Princeton sounded kinda lame compared to this beast. Owned the 65 Twin Reverb and way too heavy (though the bright switch was a cool feature).

Hey Desert Surfer,

I bought my '65 DRRI in July. Being new to electric guitar and surf, I compared both the Deluxe Reverb and the Princeton, and fell in love with the Deluxe's power and tone. And since I was only going to treat myself to one amp (for now), I chose the Deluxe. And when that second channel is dialed in, it is one clean tone monster. The reverb is much better than I expected. I often play with the onboard reverb instead of plugging in my tank.

-John

"...enjoy every sandwich." -Warren Zevon

Fender American Stratocaster Pro II
Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue

The DRRI is an amazing amp. It’s useful for just about any sort of music. While it’s not going to sound exactly like a Showman and a 6G15, it’s a very useful Surf sound and a great choice for small to medium-sized gigs.

jtrollmann wrote:

desert_surfer wrote:

Just bought myself a shiny new Fender ‘65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue since Guitar Center had it for a steal on their Guitar-a-thon sale. I’ve had a reissue DR for many years and sold it, trying to fuel my GAS for other amps. I’ve since missed that amp dearly and the amps after that have not been the same (except for my Vox AC-10 which is beautiful and just as good, but different flavor). Seeing the DR price skyrocket over the past year made me feel like it would be out of reach, however the sale knocked almost $500 off the price, so it was a no-brainer. Ends up also being a 75th anniversary logo on it too, which is cool to have.

Reunited with my true love/desert island amp and it feels so good. Perfect size, reverb/tremolo to die for (sometimes I don’t even need my SurfyBear, it’s so good), and classic surf tone and beyond. I’ll never sell this amp again, as the rest don’t do it for me (except for the Vox). Build quality is so much better than the Princeton Reverb (Deluxe made in USA vs Princeton China) and to me the Princeton sounded kinda lame compared to this beast. Owned the 65 Twin Reverb and way too heavy (though the bright switch was a cool feature).

Hey Desert Surfer,

I bought my '65 DRRI in July. Being new to electric guitar and surf, I compared both the Deluxe Reverb and the Princeton, and fell in love with the Deluxe's power and tone. And since I was only going to treat myself to one amp (for now), I chose the Deluxe. And when that second channel is dialed in, it is one clean tone monster. The reverb is much better than I expected. I often play with the onboard reverb instead of plugging in my tank.

The Deluxe adds gain at the Phase Inverter stage with a long-failed pair, while the Princeton uses a Cathodyne phase inverter which doesn’t add any gain. That makes a huge difference. Even the Blackface Princeton Reverb (AA 1164) has a degree of similarity to the older Princeton models, because of this.

They are very much an apples to oranges comparison, but either is a great amp. I have a Winfield Tremor, which is fairly close to a Brownface Princeton circuit. It has excellent bias-varying tremolo and a rich sound which works well for old school surf, but it’s nothing like a Blackface Fender.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Goto Page: Previous 1 211 12 13 14 15