Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink N.A.D. 1962 Fender Showman

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Big thanks to forum member BrentD, for spotting this one at a guitar center and making a PSA, I acted fast and scored it within hours of seeing the post. Original PSA here: https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/34277/

I live in southern California, and the amp was being sold in Lansing Michigan, so i had to wait a bit for the police hold to be cleared then ship. it arrived today and looks pretty rough, but i guess it's to be expected for a 59 year old amplifier.

I don't have a cabinet yet, since i wasn't even planning on getting this amp, but the opportunity struck, so now i'm on the hunt for a cab. Lots of exceptionally great info on that subject in this forum.

This amp is very dirty, the tolex almost looks like it was spray painted black then heavily scrubbed, leaving black only in the recesses, although shampoo and water and a tooth brush have helped, so it makes me think it might not be paint, maybe fire damage, IDK. Either way, i hate the fool that had this amp before me, he definitely disrespected it.

A few things that i noticed are the the knobs look new, so i can only assume they're replacements, it has a new 3 prong chord. It's missing the handle, the screen on the bottom, the piggyback fasteners, and obviously the back plate. The amp chart is unreadable. If you notice other details then please let me know so i can make this amp as complete and accurate as possible.

And could someone please tell me if this still has the death cap? This is my first vintage amp so I'm learning a lot.

So here's the obligatory condition pics, with cat, and guts shots.

This is where i started to clean it, still looks like shit. I'm going to try some Lexol leather cleaner next.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021 12:43:34

Great score Sandbug!
Looks like most of the circuit is still original. I can see some of the cathode caps for the preamp tubes have been replaced, that should be ok. Please if you take the amp to get serviced do not let the tech convince you to remove any of the blue molded caps from that amp. It looks mostly original and should stay that way Congrats on a owning a great classic amp !!! Cool

-

Last edited: Mar 03, 2022 06:01:42

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing more updates.
I can reccomend Tim from Top Gear in La Mesa, if you're willing to drive there. Always super busy so turn-around times are slow, but work is great, and he will never try to talk you into replacing blue molded tone caps.

All the best,

Ran

The Scimitars

Thanks all! I'm really happy to snag it! Thanks for the great info.

Ran, I'll take it to him, he's only about an hour away from me, thanks for the superb referral. I'll call him after the holidays.

Cleaning update: grille clothe came up fairly clean after a few sprays of foam carpet cleaner then gently blotting off the brown water. 3X.

The tolex on this one is pretty awful looking, but i can live with a grimy look, as long as i know it's as clean as it can be. I was up until 2AM scrubbing. I tested a lot of different cleaning solutions on the bottom. After trying Pear's soap and water, Shampoo, Lexol, Murphy's Oil Soap, Simple Green, diluted dish soap, all with a tooth brush, i ended up using a quick wipe down of bleach and water (in case it was mold), then rubbing alcohol in small patches, with a dental pick, to individually break-up/pick-out the black substance from each individual recess! It sort of breaks up like paint, or tar. So far it looks better than before, but it sure won't ever be a showpiece. I will keep it original as possible, no re-tolexing, that would be cheating. This amp is at least 59 years old, it's fine with me if it looks that way. I don't want to erase it's history. With that said, i still have a lot more cleaning to do on the tolex.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021 15:11:07

It's probably paint. Someone put it in blackface because old beige amps weren't cool.

Great progress, and I wholeheartedly agree with keeping it in original tolex. The Showman I bought from Dan Valenti (The Boardwalkers) had a similar past of someone trying to paint it black, and I don't intend to re-tolex it, either. Coincidentally, it's very close in chassis S/N to your amp, being 01365.

Regarding Tim at Top Gear - good decision. Please tell him I referred you, if you don't mind. Be aware that the "completed by" estimate is probably not going to be realistic. There is a reason why he is busy, everybody knows he is good and his prices are reasonable.

Good luck with everything!
Ran

The Scimitars

Redfeather, after spending hours trying to clean it; I 100% agree with your assessment.

Ran, will do. It's time for this amp to get some TLC. Thanks for your help.

Here's a close up of the atrocity, not all of it looks this bad, but this part really shows how the black is in the recesses, and the high parts of the rough textured tolex have been taken down in an effort by the previous abuser to "restore" it. This pic was taken before any attempt to clean.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021 15:26:38

Ran, my friend Eric has S/N 01361. A few months ago I picked it up for him from Moze Guitars in San Diego. His is in wonderful condition, although it was more expensive than mine. Interesting that there's such a tight grouping of S/Ns that i know about.

Congratulations SandBug!
I successfully cleaned beige tolex (albeit smooth) from various substances (what I call small children damage) with pure Acetone. No damage at all to the texture, and it really does remove EVERYTHING. If your experiment canvas is at the bottom, might as well try it, could save you a lot of time, just be careful near the seams so it won't pour in and damage the glue.

Congrats and enjoy!

The doofus formerly known as Snorre
Surfysonic on YouTube
World Famous Philistines: 2014 - 2015
K39: 2013 - 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv9JADQ4ukw

Yes, that is close! I assume Eric's amp also has the wheat grill cloth, and the 125A4A output transformer.

Ran

SandBug wrote:

Ran, my friend Eric has S/N 01361. A few months ago I picked it up for him from Moze Guitars in San Diego. His is in wonderful condition, although it was more expensive than mine. Interesting that there's such a tight grouping of S/Ns that i know about.

The Scimitars

Thanks all! I'm stoked!

Ariel, thanks so much for sharing your experience of cleaning tolex, acetone totally did the trick. It's still slow going because I'm being very careful with the process, but the results are better than I had hoped for! You're awesome!

Ran, I'm not sure about the transformer on Eric's since I didn't open it up, but yes, same wheat grill cloth. After seeing his, and hearing your's I knew I had to have one, I love how it sounds with your barisaz, deep and clear.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021 20:10:11

A Christmas miracle. Well done SandBug! The surf gods are smiling!

anxiously awaiting to hear how she sounds!

paul

SandBug wrote:

Thanks all! I'm stoked!

Ariel, thanks so much for sharing your experience of cleaning tolex, acetone totally did the trick. It's still slow going because I'm being very careful with the process, but the results are better than I had hoped for! You're awesome!

Ran, I'm not sure about the transformer on Eric's since I didn't open it up, but yes, same wheat grill cloth. After seeing his, and hearing your's I knew I had to have one, I love how it sounds with your barisaz, deep and clear.

This is awesome to read! Both this and the Bassman were in pretty rough shape. This one moreso as I remember not being able to read the tube chart. The Bassman had the cab too.

Someone traded in several cool old amps. In addition to these there was an old Magnatone, an Ampeg Gemini (I think, definitely an Ampeg), a dripedge Bassman and matching cab (just like Paul's in Get Back), and a '65 Super Reverb (not a reissue!), among others.

I'm so glad it's gone to someone who will enjoy it!

Neptune Trojans

Congrats on the score!

I can second Ran’s recommendation on taking it over to Top Gear. I’ve been taking my stuff over there since they first opened back in the Eighties. (I’m just short distance from there, in Spring Valley.)

(They restored my ‘63 Jaguar and early 70’s Bandmaster.)

Good luck with your project.

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021 14:46:45

amazing. i appreciate your restoration work. i’d have just built a new head cab and stored the old one (only because I have awful patience and attention span).

SandBug wrote:

Redfeather, after spending hours trying to clean it; I 100% agree with your assessment.

Ran, will do. It's time for this amp to get some TLC. Thanks for your help.

Here's a close up of the atrocity, not all of it looks this bad, but this part really shows how the black is in the recesses, and the high parts of the rough textured tolex have been taken down in an effort by the previous abuser to "restore" it. This pic was taken before any attempt to clean.

I used to buy and sell vintage amps and guitars and once had a Guild combo that had been painted black. I experimented with detergents and nothing worked well. Finally I took the chassis out and grille off and boiled some water, donned heavy rubber gloves and simply sponged the painted tolex down liberally with very hot water. The black paint came off readily,with little effort as the piping hot water just broke it up and freed it from the crevices of the tolex surface. I recommend this technique.

Squink Out!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021 18:56:15

Thanks all, for the suggestions and encouragement!

Hi JObeast! Thanks for sharing that method, sounds like a great way to avoid harsh chemicals, I'd have tried that if i hadn't already finished the job. Next time though.

So now it's ready to go to Top Gear Guitar Pro Shop for a proper check up.

It took days to get to this point. Here's before and after...

Thanks to this great community for all the help! I wouldn't have this amp in this condition if if weren't for a group effort!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021 03:36:17

Wow, literally night and day, well done!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next