Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
330 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
257 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
257 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
177 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
155 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
124 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
117 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
78 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
12 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
12 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Dusty Watson drum and cymbal setup?

Page 1 of 1

Hey y'all,

Does anybody know the specs of what Dusty plays with Slacktone? Drums, heads, and cymbals, make-model-size.

Thanks!!!
Paddy

Man, I miss seeing Slacktone at Don’s...

I want to hear Caravan with a drum solo.

God, I'm so jealous of everyone who's ever gotten to see Slacktone live...

I don't know what Dusty played in the studio with Slacktone, but live he played various kits. I did play on Dusty's blue sparkle Ludwig kit a couple of times when we played SG101 in 2019 and at another show in SoCal as well that year. If I remember correctly, the configuration is what Ludwig calls their "Fab" configuration which is the same as my red sparkle American Maple Ludwig kit - 9x13, 16x16, 14x22. The heads were nothing out of the ordinary - Aquarian coated on the tom batters, though I don't know if they were the single ply or double ply heads. I think the toms had clear resonant heads but can't remember for sure. As for the kick, I think it may have been a Superkick I or II? Again, been a couple of years. I played my own snare at those shows (Supraphonic 5x14) but Dusty played a raw brass Ludwig snare on tour with The Sonics recently.

Hope that helps!

It doesn't really matter what gear Dusty plays tho - he could play on cardboard boxes and it would sound like a million bucks.

Skins for The Delstroyers

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021 23:22:07

The more I think about it, I’m thinking the kick had a coated batter head as well. I remember sitting down to play that kit for the first time at SG101 and being worried the kick might feel wonky but it felt great. It had a small amount of dampening in it, like a small blanket or similar.

It also had a patch on the kick batter head, but not like a commercial Danmar, Remo, or similar one. It was like a piece of moleskin or something stuck to it and it was half pealed off and may have had some duct tape on it. I thought it might fall off but it held. Smile

Also, no idea on cymbals (I played my own) other than Dusty plays Sabian.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021 11:20:50

CreepBeat wrote:

It doesn't really matter what gear Dusty plays tho - he could play on cardboard boxes and it would sound like a million bucks.

This is the real point. I could exactly replicate Eddie Bertrand’s guitar rig, but it wouldn’t make me play like Eddie Bertrand; I’d need his hands and his brain to do that. He could have played on my rig and he would have sounded just like Eddie Bertrand.

I’ve seen Dusty play on numerous different kits in five different bands. He always sounds like Dusty Watson.

Los Fantasticos

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021 03:46:19

The Royal Aces had the high honor of having Dusty sit in with us in Denver for an unforgettable "Wipe Out". He got right behind our drummer's set and just came across as the classic, great Dusty Watson.

Paddy's question was a fine one though. Our gear buying decisions are definitely influenced by what our heroes play. How many kits exactly like Ringo's did Ludwig sell when the Beatles hit? Millions. There's a good reason they still call that configuration "Fab". Nobody who ever bought one sounded just like Ringo tho. ;)

Paddy, for any Dusty fan (I know I certainly am one), I would recommend picking this up from Dusty himself from his website. It has great interviews with him where he talks in length about his approach to drumming.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021 11:16:24

CreepBeat wrote:

Paddy's question was a fine one though. Our gear buying decisions are definitely influenced by what our heroes play. How many kits exactly like Ringo's did Ludwig sell when the Beatles hit? Millions. There's a good reason they still call that configuration "Fab". Nobody who ever bought one sounded just like Ringo tho. ;)

Absolutely. Nothing wrong with wanting to emulate your heroes.

Los Fantasticos

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021 12:05:13

Thanks y'all! Yeah, it's all about the player, not the gear (just check out those videos of Stevie Ray playing $20 beater guitars at the Texas State Fair!). I was never a gearhead at all until I started playing surf stuff, now I NEED TO KNOW ALL THE DETAILS! Smile

I'm definitely going to check out that DVD. On my list!

Peace,
Paddy

Page 1 of 1