Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Tell me why I should buy a Quilter. Tell me why I shouldn't by a Quilter.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

The title says it all. I'm currently playing through a Fender Deluxe Reverb '68 reissue, Surfy Bear reverb tank kit, a Jazzmaster with Fender Vintage '65 pickups (but not vintage pups, if ya catch my meaning), and a smattering of stompboxes.

Thanks!

The Reverbivores - we're local favorites!

Here is a big discussion on the 101. https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/26687/?page=1

If you haven’t tried searching Quilter on the site, there are a lot of opinions to read.

I know Jeff Senn from the Crazy Aces is a big fan if the 101.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Before I bought my Quilter, I did a blind comparison with a Fender Deluxe Reverb and couldn't tell the difference. But when I lifted the two amps, I certainly could! I love the portability of the Quilter and haven't looked back.

revmike wrote:

Here is a big discussion on the 101. https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/26687/?page=1

If you haven’t tried searching Quilter on the site, there are a lot of opinions to read.

I know Jeff Senn from the Crazy Aces is a big fan if the 101.

Rev

I did search, but somehow missed that entire thread! Thanks for that link. Blowing off work to read through it...

I just recently picked up a Mini 101 non-reverb head and couldn't be happier.

I had been gigging with a Twin Reverb amp or a Mustang V with 2x12 cab and minus all of the onboard effects the Mustang has the Quilter can keep up just nice.

I use a 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster with Antiquity II pickups and a RI 63 tank infront of the Quilter with a Keely Trem o Verb in the effects loop then all of that into a 15" cab with an EPS-15c speaker. It sounds huge.

I have had about 10 or so gigs since I switched and I have gotten nothing but compliments and shock from all the Tube heads that come up after the show.

Tim, my tube amps have been collecting dust since I got my Quilter MicroPro (1st generation). You don't have to crank it to +/- 6 to hit the sweet spot. Anywhere that you set the volume is the sweet spot. If you want it to sag a little, like a tube amp, you can set it so that it will. Very versatile: You can nail a lot of different tones: blackface, tweed, and more. And for an old guy, with back issues, you can't beat the weight and portability. With my MicroPro, you've got 100 watts, if needed, and a separate channel for an acoustic guitar, mike or keyboard. I also have a Tone block 201 (200 watts) in a frontliner block-dock cabinet. I just got this, and haven't had much time to put it through the paces. If you want to try mine out, we could certainly arrange for me to loan it to you to try out at your next rehearsal. I live in San Jose.

Bob

Last edited: May 22, 2019 15:47:43

Thanks for the offer, Bob! I may just pick one up through GC, as they have a generous return window. I'm considering either the 101 (because lots of players on SG101 like it) and the TB200 (because Lorenzo Valdambrini sounded amazing through his).

You can't go wrong with any of their products, Tim. I think that you'll be very happy with either.

Bob

I'm very happy with my Steelaire. I use it for all but my highest profile shows. To me it's the surf-friendliest of all the Quilters.

Here's a thread I started about it, and the great built-in treble booster. There's even a sound sample if you scroll down.

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/26859/?page=1

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Last edited: May 22, 2019 20:52:50

Sounds great, small, light, reliable, powerful, DI, works with cabs of different ohms.

But what do I know? I play drums... Wink

Skins for The Delstroyers

I'm really happy with my Steelaire combo. Sounds amazing and is pretty light. Also I can play on 0.5 volume in my apartment and it still sounds great.

edit: I feel I should mention I don't have much experience with tube amps in the first place. I think I'm pretty picky about tone and love my Quilter's sound but never tried a showman or anything.

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

Last edited: May 24, 2019 08:13:07

I definitely suggest playing one (or borrowing one) with your guitar. I borrowed a Mach Pro 2 w/8" speaker and thought it worked pretty good. I then purchased a Mach Pro 2 w/10" speaker as I thought I'd like the 10" better. I didn't and returned the Quilter. The Quilter was a bit stiffer/notes come out quicker/sterile sounding then I wanted. That being said I should have stuck with the Mach Pro 8" i may have had better luck with it. My issue was at around $800-$900 I felt I could get better amps in that price range (e.g. Reissue Princeton 65 or 68, etc). I will say the Quilter is LOUD so if that's what you needed, it's a great lightweight option over a showman, twin, etc

Couldn't be happier with my 101, it is very loud and very clean. The best thing about it is the weight, it is only two pounds! You will definitely need an EQ pedal, as it is bass heavy on the surf setting. Let us know what you decide to do.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

I'm just a living room noodler, but I couldn't be happier with my 101 reverb. Specifically because it sounds great consistently at all volume levels, but also because it EQ's to different guitars very nicely to really show off their particular tone. I swap around my JM, DiPinto and Custom 60, and it's quick and easy to dial in a tone that works well for each. And when I'm feeling nostalgic angst, it's just as easy to crank out some fun shreddiness on my Airline.

The onboard reverb is pretty good on its own - and I find it plays nicer with the Hallmark than the DIY surfybear I run the other guitars through.

Right now it's paired with a Super Champ cab, but I'm endlessly arguing with myself about switching that to a Blockdock.

From past me to future you

OK! Thanks to everyone for your input. I greatly appreciate it.

I just ordered a 101 Reverb. Once I have a chance to put it through it's paces, I'll share my thoughts!

I hear the 101 Reverb is great, but it is only 50 watts. The 101 is 100 watts on the jazz/surf setting. My band is really loud, and the 101 cranked just cuts through the mix. Never the less, congrats on the purchase!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

I've had three. The Aviator head, mini 101 head. Not bad, but not quite there somehow for me either.

Gave it one more shot. The OD200 head. And this one is a whole different thing. Could be the 16 ohm ported cab I'm using, who knows. Some truly fine sounds here. You can get a great edge, amplike drive tone from the clean channel. Keep channel gain up, master down. It sits right next to my favorite tube amps and holds its own. A really nice amp.

67 and 63 Bandmasters pumping JBL's but my main gig and practice amp is my MP200. I prefer the tone.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

My Steelaire is a fine amp, though it is not inexpensive; you can buy a whole lot of vintage amp for what these cost! But I love the weight. It can become deafeningly loud, as well. It tends to "cut through" better than any other I have played. I think this is a good thing...is it a tad too strident, then? This is subjective. Overall it does a perfectly acceptable job where I might otherwise apply some other fancy-pants vintage amp.

In practice, I am sorta with Danny on this one: I use it except for when I absolutely need to bring an old Fender. I bring it to every gig as a backup, also, and it came in quite handy when the other guy's power tube went south in his Showman.

So, my two cents are as follows:

PRO: weight, power, sound

CON: cost, (sound?)

SSIV

I kept the Q101 for a back-up, but just couldn't get it to work as my main rig despite pairing it with numerous cabinets/speakers.

METEOR IV on reverbnation

Goto Page: 1 2 Next