Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink RIP Dick Dale

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Great sorrow and respect. Richard Monsour RIP.

Different sides of Dick. This is the 1970 re-recording

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 16:59:41

R.I.P. Dick Dale. You recently inspired me to play surf guitar and I just bought a tank. We all love you.

There's no replacement for Dick Dale - One of a kind he'll never be forgotten.

Thank you DD for all you gave to us. I will remember you every time I pick up my guitar.

Rolling Stone article for anyone interested...

[(http://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/dick-dale-surf-guitar-king-dead-obituary-809294/)]

PS - this topic should probably be stickied, or at least put in its own special listing considering the impact and influence DD had.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 17:19:55

My heart goes out to all those around him. I had the good opportunity to meet him, shake his hand and talk to him for a short few minutes back in the mid-1980's after he played at the Orange Show in San Bernardino. Although time has blurred the details of that conversation I remember him being a very genuine and warm individual, one who I am sure will be greatly missed by family and friends.

Tailwinds, Dick Dale, and thanks for all the great music and everything you brought forward.

Member in good standing, Mentone Beach Syncopation Reverberation Association

Condolences to Lana and Jimmy and all his family and close friends.

Dick Dale was such a character. He told stories of his history that were the musical equivalent to the fishing story-telling grandfather. You knew there were elements of definitive truth in there but some things were embellished to tell a great story. When one stops for a moment to consider all the chronic health issues he had to deal with, his legend is that much more amazing.

And with his passing, we consider all the influence he had on the surf guitar world.

We WILL hear surf music again!!!!!!!!!!!!

All hail the King (and pioneer) of Surf Guitar, Dick Dale!

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 17:43:29

Thanks for all the great concerts and recordings, Mr. Dale

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

Ooof. This is a gut punch.

The death of Dick Dale is sad news indeed. He was an incredible guitar player with his own style that helped spawn a sub-genre of rock music but also influence rock and roll at a broader level.

It's amazing that he kept performing up until the end, and I'm very glad I got to see him play live (even though it was just one time) in Santa Barbara in the early 90's. I even got one of his picks at the show. To sum up, he was awe-inspiring.

My primary influence in surf music. I was practicing The Victor moments ago.
Long live The King.

I take comfort in the fact that he lived a good life and was loved by a loyal wife.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

RIP. My sympathies to family and all the close friends. 81 was a very good run. Smile

Decades-long surf and other syles guitarist (and steel guitarist) here, been lurking for a while now. This is definitely such a gut-punch I decided I had to join in here to say something.

For me, Dick has been the center-of-the-vortex for surf music for as long as I can remember. Got to see him a few times, got to talk to him once. He just ripped it up every time he took the stage. A life well-lived - RIP The King of the Surf Guitar.

The Delverados - surf, punk, trash, twang - Facebook
Chicken Tractor Deluxe - hardcore Americana - Facebook and Website
The Telegrassers - semi-electric bluegrass/Americana - Facebook

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 19:42:28

His contribution to modern music and the electric guitar cannot be overstated. A one of a kind!

R.I.P. DD.

METEOR IV on reverbnation

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 19:44:40

Dick Dale's bass player Ron Eglit will be interviewed on BBC Radio 5 live at 9:20 pm EDT - https://www.bbc.co.uk/5live

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

abdul_tom wrote:

Different sides of Dick. This is the 1970 re-recording

Buddy of mine & I went to see Dick at the Birchmere in VA. Dick was doing requests at the time. He's between songs, goes into his spiel. We know what's coming. Maurice & I look at each other, and yell at the top of our lungs "SLOOP JOHN B!!!!" Dick does a double take to us (off stage right), and says "damn, you guys are old!" (we're mid 20s at this point). Someone says a song, he plays. Next break comes, he goes into his spiel, we yell "SLOOP JOHN B!!!!" He looks over at us, looks down at the stage, and shakes his head. "Jeez, guys, that's an old one. Not sure I remember it". Promptly plays a bit of it with the band, not horribly. We cheer, the night goes on. One of the best concert memories I've ever had.

Will

"You're done, once you're a surfer you're done. You're in. It's like the mob or something. You're not getting out." - Kelly Slater

The Luau Cinders

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 20:13:35

Had the supreme honor of opening for Dick twice in the late 90's. Got to speak to him both times,he was always accommodating to his fans and all of us were starstruck. He was kind enough to sign the pickguard of my Tele. The guitar is since gone but that guard isn't going anywhere.
photo

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

Very very sad news.

Thank you Mr. Dale for your musical gift that you shared with all of us for so many years (and will be enjoyed for many years to come)

Can I have everything louder than everything else!

https://thesurfaces1.bandcamp.com/releases

Sad

RIP

D

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next