Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink What do you think is the hardest Surf Instrumental to play or perform?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Squid wrote:

It's how you play it more than what you play. I've been adding songs with fingerstyle technique, and it feels more complex and challenging than flatpicking. For each note I must choose which of four fingers to pick with, in view of preceding and upcoming notes as well as expression. Then I must avoid ripping up my fingernails. Sometimes I glue on plastic fingernails, and that too adds complexity. Control of string attack with fingers is another dimension. Finally, picking with two fingers together is another art.

Walk Don't Run fingerstyle on solid body electric:
https://youtu.be/X4oD660hw04

California Dreamin' fingerstyle on solid body electric:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jpR__sBr4E

My fingerstyle technique is a work in progress, as are these recordings.

I wish I could play fingerstyle like Chet Atkins - I meet him when I was a little kid at The Hares Corner Farmers Market when he was promoting a LP he put out at a cheesy record store.

I play more like Dick Dale and combination of double picking and drumming the string. I have a big thick heavy pick most would not even use and on 5's at the end a phrase I do a surfer beat on the string of varying intensity or accented etc... That to my ear sounds more like classic surf - Just my natural style

Where right or wrong in technique it works for me.

Harmonics I never seem to get right but if I but my finger slight and lightly behind the fret I kind of get it sometimes ( I probably have a too heavy touch though)

I like sharing info like this with or players being that's how Surf Music evolved out of Orange County CA by kids at high school into bands showing tricks on playing (Most when to the same High School) This even better you have the whole world as a high school Smile

If anyone knows of any good tabs let us Surfers know

I found this entertaining take on Bullwinkle I thought was pretty good

simoncoil wrote:

It's interesting to see, that "difficult to play" means different things to different people. For example "Newport Beach" is not a problem for me, the same goes for "Quiet Surf" (which I have played at almost every gig I did in the last five years or so).

Difficult stuff for me would include:
Fender IV - Everybody Up (Often people simplify the rhythm on the first note of the melody a little, which imho greatly diminishes the song.)
Dave Myers & the Surftones - Gear (The glissandi are just impossible for me.)
New Dimensions - Cat on a Hot Foam Board (Speed, drive and consistency...)
Bambi Molesters - Point Break (To play the rhythm part consistently has been haunting me for years now.)
Surf Coasters - Intruder (Just about everything Wink )

I my case I think difficult is more in line with what day it is and how I feel as well. I see you like a lot of the same classic surf tunes I'm into.

I was amazed how many Surf Bands there are in Europe. It seems pretty big in Clubs over there.

Yeah Gear is on the 4th track of The Lost Legends of The Surf Guitar- Volume 1 I think - I have trouble remembering that one - hard one I think …… That's in F right or F# ? I can't remember off my head

Anybody not familiar with gear here it is - yeah hard one to pull off like this recording I agree, I can't get that slide plucky sound - I think its barely touching the string and a heavy hit on the string - anyone know?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019 16:08:59

I like this song a lot anyone know this one - I have the lead down and intro pretty good. Hard to perform and make it sound like the record I think.

Still can't find out where these guys were from (I think the UK)anyone know where this band was from in 1964. They had a song Liverpool so I assume they where from England ???

Here is another hard one I couldn't figure out - This band was from Norway and The Eagles surf band from England had a good version as well.

I never got to this one yet - wonder if anyone tried this one already - sounds like a fun tune to play (sounds Big Band) because it came out in 1936 .

I found this info - ("Poinciana" is a song to music by Nat Simon and lyrics by Buddy Bernier written in 1936. The tune is based on a Cuban folk tune La canción del árbol)
OK this one is out there but its a good tune. this song would sound great mix with sound Califorina reverb

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019 16:59:50

Redfeather wrote:

I love that Super Stocks stuff! Those veterans of the studio left some really great examples of efficiency of composition in this album. Newport Beach and my favorite, Ventura, are like master studies in how to take the simplest ingredients and turn them into a delectable main course.

Newport Beach is just a Dorian i-IV-v--three damn chords--and then they transpose it up a major third (not a fifth) two times and arrive back at the same spot and then done! It sounds so great and yet for them it was like falling off a log.

And Ventura, with it's infectious happy groove, is super straight ahead, too. Standard chords and whatnot. It kind of illustrates a deeper truth, too, if we want to get philosophical. It sounds critical but it must be said that they weren't working very hard when they wrote these. The songs definitely bear the mark of studio pros "playing by the rules" musically and just busting out good, competent stuff quickly. They weren't writing "Blues Skies" with its mixed up majors and minors.

Moving on, I wanted to acknowledge Mr. Rebel as a personal standard by which I measure melodies. As in, my goal is always to come up with a melody as fanfuckingtastic as that one. It manages to be optimistic, poignant, uplifting, and yet a little sad all at the same time. The world is turning to shit around us, fellas, but at least once upon a time Eddie Bertrand wrote Mr. Rebel.

Yeah The Super Stocks are essential study for any Surf Guitarist and even as a drummer there are some good groves on these albums to pick up.

I always get this one mixed up with a few other tunes they put out being they all had the same type lead in different keys etc...Kind of like Midnight Run or a few others on the three albums

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019 17:13:18

Still can't find out where these guys were from (I think the UK)anyone know where this band was from in 1964. They had a song Liverpool so I assume they where from England.

As noted in my book, "The Illustrated Discography of Surf Music, 1961-1965," The Vulcanes were from Los Angeles. Book includes their discography and a brief bio of the band.

"Twilight City" was also recorded by The Marketts (The Vulcanes made a few live appearances AS The Marketts):

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGRvastIIrE)

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019 17:30:12

^ Thanks Mr Blair I will have to buy that book.

I saw one video of you playing The Original Surfaris - Failsafe song on some video on the net. I love playing that song too. I'm familiar with all the players you jam with - I've seen all the video's on Youtube with Paul Johnson and everybody. Thanks for heads up John, I'm going to order that book.

To my ear the power chords on Failsafe go F#/// A//// G#//// C# during that cool chord progresstion part (At least that's how I play it)- Is that right? I think their just power chords.

I picked it up by Ear off the Lost Legends of Surf Guitar Volume 1 - never saw tabs on it. I got the lead down pretty good.

This is the Song Failsafe by The Original Surfaris fun song to play.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019 18:04:25

Can I get that Failsafe drip with an Oceans 11 Lorenzo? Laughing

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019 19:33:58

Are talking about the EHX Oceans 11 Pedal startdancer ?

I thought "Firewater" sounded ok (The Astronauts drip)at 6 minutes in video below (sounds pretty close). I think it actually sounds better than The Astronauts version. I love that sound but they had a guy that all he did was play the drip slap thing in that band. I think he just had the dwell all the way up and lightly fretted the one root note etc.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019 21:16:59

Here's the original Failsafe.

^ That EHX Oceans 11 Pedal sounds pretty good to me

I have that New Dimensions album too ….neat tunes on there...The kid with the Jaguar in that band had Jimmy Durante as his God Father and he got Jimmy to buy the Guitar for him.

This is my Favorite Surf Movie of all time and love this song - I saw a band on YouTube in Mexico jamming to this and the people were dancing all over the place 55 years later. Who said surf died No

I forget how to play this right now but its fun to play when I remember lol

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019 21:23:40

Hard one to play ...This video has some cool 1963 photos

-OT warning-

I was playing with Fender Reverb Units last night. Both a ‘63 and a ‘78. I was experimenting with drips, and the incredibly numerous types of them. The slightest variation in strength, palm placement, pick angle, which string and note - all these completely change that drip tone. Especially the strength of the picking. Far, FAR more variety than I’d ever sat down and appreciated. That pedal has one drip tone. (‘Nuff said!)

Man that “band all turn at the same time” thing is so weird to me. It distracts me from the music, and just seems so “faux-line dancing” or something. Such a great tune tho!

And that Failsafe is badass. I can get drippier drips too! Might have to learn that one.

Loving this thread!! Squid’s finger picking skills are so fun.

Daniel Deathtide

John wrote:

Still can't find out where these guys were from (I think the UK)anyone know where this band was from in 1964. They had a song Liverpool so I assume they where from England.

As noted in my book, "The Illustrated Discography of Surf Music, 1961-1965," The Vulcanes were from Los Angeles. Book includes their discography and a brief bio of the band.

"Twilight City" was also recorded by The Marketts (The Vulcanes made a few live appearances AS The Marketts):

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGRvastIIrE)

I love "Twilight City". Marvelously covered by The Bitch Boys.

"Liverpool" sounds like a direct cover of "Applejack" by Jet Harris and Tony Meehan to me.

DeathTide wrote:

-OT warning-

I was playing with Fender Reverb Units last night. Both a ‘63 and a ‘78. I was experimenting with drips, and the incredibly numerous types of them. The slightest variation in strength, palm placement, pick angle, which string and note - all these completely change that drip tone. Especially the strength of the picking. Far, FAR more variety than I’d ever sat down and appreciated. That pedal has one drip tone. (‘Nuff said!)

Man that “band all turn at the same time” thing is so weird to me. It distracts me from the music, and just seems so “faux-line dancing” or something. Such a great tune tho!

And that Failsafe is badass. I can get drippier drips too! Might have to learn that one.

Loving this thread!! Squid’s finger picking skills are so fun.

The lightest touch effects the drip the most and to get the plucky sound you barely touch the string and slap the string hard percussively with the pick. You can vary the touch and get all kinds of effects its almost art form.

Failsafe by The Original Safaris is the best one arrangement wise - The main chord sequence in the chorus is just F#/// A//// G#//// C#//// you paly that 2X all power chords on the Low E string starting at F# on the second fret the 5th fret at A then G# at the 4th fret then move to the A string at the 4th fret (C#) piece of cake at least that's how the notes sound tone wise (I'm pretty sure those are the exact chords on the recording. I've seen other ways but it makes more sense and easier to play like they played on the record. The lead is easy just keep around the scale near the F# Chord across all six strings.

The variety of the tone of the drips from any pedal, just doesn’t come close to a real spring’s variation. In my opinion. For example, the open note of each string has wildly different drip tone...

Daniel Deathtide

^ Yeah some pedals like the Danelectro Spring Verb box or what ever its called lacks the real vibe - but my Rack Eleven emulator has sprig reverb that's pretty good compare to the Fender Reissue Tank (Of course that isn't as good as the real thing or a Gomez etc...

I saw one video on YouTube of a guy with a Jaguar and play through two pedals (Delay and Fender Reverb) he He said he thought the delay pedal adds or makes the Fender Reverb Pedal sound pretty close to a Tank unit.

That EHX Oceans 11 pedal sounds righteous though I might have to get that one - but my Rack Eleven has a ton of pedals in its memory so it might be too much any way …...Firewater sounded great through there wow

Oh hell yes that pedal sounds utterly fantastic, except for the drips.

Daniel Deathtide

Maybe the delay pedal would help not sure it sounded good on the Fender Pedal

How do you delete posts DeathTide I accidently posted three times on another tread ….I can't find any delete function like other sites ?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next