Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Guitar scales?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

What guitar scales do you recommend for making surf verses, choruses and bridges?

I try to use some but it turns out blues.

I'm aware that this is a broad generalisation and there are many examples that break this mould - but as a starting point.......

1. The Majority of older Surf tunes are in Am or E. Many tunes are built on the chords Am, G, F, E and C. (Walk don't Run, Surf Rider, Perfidia and countless more). Nevertheless, quite a few are straight 12 bars too (Let's go Tripping, Wipe Out)

2. Whereas some Surf tunes use the Pentatonic scale like the blues does, a great many use either the full Natural Minor scale, the Harmonic Minor scale (which is the Natural Minor Scale but with a natural rather than a flattened seventh) or the Phrygian mode (The flattened 2nd being the distinctive voice - very Flamenco)

3. It is quite common to have a bridge or middle 8 section in the relative major key - ie: C in Am.

As I say - a very simplistic and generalised view - but a place to start.

http://www.myspace.com/thepashuns

Youth and enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

While I have always tried to change up one song from the next, I use a basic rule... KISS (keep it simple, stupid). Some of the prettiest songs ever written are very simple, and use very common chord structures.
Using chromatic scales is fun too, and opens the doors to many various possibilities. C Major scale is most widely used, along with all the modes of the C Major scale.

The Mighty Surf Lords- Sparks,Nv.
"Praise The Lords"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHTDYfy0xM8
www.myspace.com/themightysurflords
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mightysurflords

In my opinion, thinking in "what scale should I play in" is the mindset that brings to the result of "everything I play sounds like blues". But I accept that some people have a different way of thinking, so they need the scales as a guide. The above info (2 previous posts) sounds like a good guide, but don't be affraid to experiment, you might be surprised.
Ran

The Scimitars

kickthe_reverb_
In my opinion, thinking in "what scale should I play in" is the mindset that brings to the result of "everything I play sounds like blues". But I accept that some people have a different way of thinking, so they need the scales as a guide. The above info (2 previous posts) sounds like a good guide, but don't be affraid to experiment, you might be surprised.
Ran

Well, personally I don't think of the word "Blues" as a dirty word. However, that being said, what I love in my favorite players work, Blues, Surf, Whatever, is playing that echoes the main theme or melody of the tune. A solo or variations of the verse or chorus that have similarities to the main melodies. That's what seperates great music in my mind from the technical exercises that often pass for fast playing COUGH-COUGH-YNGWIE-COUGH-COUGH Twisted Evil

I strive for the same thing in my own playing. Unfortunately it mainly exists in my prewritten stuff, not as much in my on the fly stuff. knowing some nifty scales that fit the song help you fill in the blanks between phrases, or can take you to a new unexpected note to start the main riff in the song on for a harmony thing that can really blow folks away, but I try to remind myself to always be aware that twiddling away on a cool scale is not the same thing as great inspired playing. I think it was Joe Pass who said something like "If you can't repeat a phrase, it isn't really music". His meaning was flying through scales is not the same as having the knowledge of scales that lets you compose musically correct (I like to think that means things that sound good!) phrases that fit in the song melodically instead of just harmonically at the spur of the moment.

Once again, I'm not claiming I can do that on the fly. But by sweating it out and writing things that way it gets easier and easier and the goal of doing it on the fly gets closer and closer...

It's true - there's a whole bunch of difference between just widdling around in a scale and in using the notes in that scale intelligently. You can hear when a player is just using a scale without knowing anything about it - because it always sounds 'up-in-the-air' for want of a better term.

But when you know where your home notes are and how the notes in the scale relate to the chords underneath then you are in a different ballpark that allows you to chose particularly strong notes to 'nail the changes' as they say....

Surf is one field were a scale that you make up yourself can be at least as good as a scale that has been in the books for a thousand years.

KK

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

Scales? We don't need no stinkin' scales. Try Jazz Guitar 101.

Kawentzmann
Surf is one field were a scale that you make up yourself can be at least as good as a scale that has been in the books for a thousand years.

KK

You'll only be discovering it for yourself - it'll still be in the book.

estreet

Kawentzmann

KK

You'll only be discovering it for yourself - it'll still be in the book.

Yeah? Wow!

In any case, not being to tied to the classic rules can help in creating a good tune.

KK

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

you could try out this scale...the "Byzantine" in E...should sound something like "Miserlou":

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?scch=E&scchnam=Byzantine&get2=Get

after you get the hang of this one, there are about a jillion other scales you could try-out...experiment...have fun!

That's fairly close to the Hungarian minor, that I use alot. That's a great site dp.

The Mighty Surf Lords- Sparks,Nv.
"Praise The Lords"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHTDYfy0xM8
www.myspace.com/themightysurflords
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mightysurflords

I find that many of the Surf tunes I learn from the 60's use a combination of 3 things:
1 - General reliance on the Natural Minor Scale (not pentatonic) for melody (check out Perfidia and other Ventures tunes).
2 - Modality (in other words the melody or hookline plays across the notes of the chords as they are changed - Mr. Moto is a good example of this.
3 - A tendency to half step. Either up to the tonic or from the tonic to 2nd chord (i.e. E to F or from A to Bflat) - this is where the cool weird modal scales usd in Eastern music come into play - like the Greek (Phrygian) scale in Misirlou etc) .

I found surf after years as a punk and new wave type because I enjoy these little half step chord movements alot - they are both unsettling, gloomy and aggressive all at the same time. What's not to love.

Plus there's lots of double picking.... Wheee!

• JC

I have only been playing surf stuff for 6 months so you can take this a newbies advice only. What has worked for me so far when composing songs is to throw in a hodgepodge of scales. For example, at one point in a song I appregio up a chord and then add a couple notes from the blues scales at the end, or I play something melodious on a major or minor scale and then add a chromatic riff. I play more by ear than trying to look for a scale. If it feels right I play it. I try changing notes here an there for different effects. but what do I know? Hmmm

Laphillyboy
3 - A tendency to half step. Either up to the tonic or from the tonic to 2nd chord (i.e. E to F or from A to Bflat) - this is where the cool weird modal scales usd in Eastern music come into play - like the Greek (Phrygian) scale in Misirlou etc) .

In bass playing, I call the "tendency to half step" by the term "leading note".
...playing the VII note to the I/VIII (tonic/root/octave)

...from the I note to the II note (E-F, B-C, G#-A) I call "playing the first interval"
same as you described, just funny how there ca be such a variety of terms and meanings.

-dp

tenderfoot
If it feels right I play it.

This sums up everything in one simple phrase. Scales, modes and rules can take away a lot of a players feeling if they get too involved in becoming technically correct with every passage. Plus if the music becomes too involved a lot of your following just becomes musicians that will stand at the foot of the stage. Scrutinizing every note you play. I would rather see people jumping around and smiling then arms crossed and hard stares.

With that said. I not advocating to not exploring the technical aspects of music. I am just saying that it should be something that makes you happy to play night after night.

_RT

A little bit of theory work never hurt anyone and will pay off in the long run.

Which scales you say, any I say, just get a book and have a go, your mind, fingers and ears will thank you later.

Noodling is just fun as always.

The Miserlou scale is a cool one as mentioned above. It's E, F#, G#, A, C, D#, E. In Middle Eastern music they might play F natural on the way down. For not so exotic stuff you can't beat good old C major like "Walk, Don't Run". The above mentioned A minor: A, B, C, D, E , F, G, A is cool for "Surf Rider". "Diamond Head", and lots of surf tunes Also A Harmonic Minor, which is the same as A natural minor with G# instead of G natural. If you really want to get "exotic", try A Hungarian Gypsy Minor: A, B, C, D#, E, F, G#, A. It can be an intense fiery scale, just don't wank around with it like Yngwie!
D minor is very moody and is what "Mr. Moto" is in. Keep in mind that some of the coolest tunes are simple E minor pentatonic and E minor blues: E, G, A, B, and D and E, G, A, A#, B, D. Check out Los Straitjackets for some of the coolest riffs on the planet using these super simple scales. Don't forget the possibilities of songs with the melody voiced on top of chords like "Pacifica" or intervals instead of single notes like "State Fair". Hope this helps some. Good luck.

Aloha and Shalom. R. I. P. Lee Hazelwood.

Is there a site I can go to to find these scale pattens and possibly surf tabs? I have played for years and still dont have a good grasp of how to "go modal".

surfohioscotty
Is there a site I can go to to find these scale pattens and possibly surf tabs? I have played for years and still dont have a good grasp of how to "go modal".

Just reopening this thread - My natural playing is Major-minor and blues from years of playing it. Surf music is refreshing because it draws in from many places around the world. Sometimes I play around with a scale book for fun, but, I too am interested in any 'Middle East' or 'Asian' scales that anyone has played with? Any favourites?

Tim O
oestmann guitar

tunes

clips

Goto Page: 1 2 Next