Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
330 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
258 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
258 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
178 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
156 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
125 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
118 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
79 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
12 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
12 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Newbie to Surf

Page 1 of 1

I've been hit by the instro surf bug! I can't believe after 20 years of playing, I just now discover this wonderful music. It seems I've got a bit of catching up to do though, so 've been trying to listen and absorb some of the many bands highly recommended here.

Also I'm curious if most of you play in bands? It seems this music is best served up live!

Welcome. There is nothing better than live surf music!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Even though surf music was my first musical love in the 60's, it took me 20 or so years of playing before I returned to it. But I'll never look back!!!
The only thing better than seeing a live surf band, is playing with a live surf band
Cowabunga!!!!

The Mighty Surf Lords- Sparks,Nv.
"Praise The Lords"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHTDYfy0xM8
www.myspace.com/themightysurflords
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mightysurflords

JrCoaster

Welcome to SG101!

Some of the members here are in pretty famous surf bands, and some of us used to be in a band.
There is a pretty good mixture of players here. I'm not sure if there are any posters that don't actually play at all. If there are they don't mention it much.
You can get a real good glimps of the quality of players here if you download the two MP3 comps listed at the left of this page.

Again, welcome

Joel

JrCoaster: Welcome! Don't worry, you're not late. New guys keep the scene fresh. As far as who is in a band, check out the handy "WWW" icon at the bottoms of posts; chances are if the poster is in a band, then this is his website.

SSIV

Thanks guys. Sounds like most of you play or have played in bands. I wouldn't mind hooking up with a few guys in my area, but for now I do the home recording thing. I have an AVRI JM, SF Princeton (non-reverb), and an outbourd unit on order, so I think I'm pretty much set for now. Now i just need to practice!

Welcome JRCoaster,
well I do play bass, but not in a surf band.

There are are a few bands in Texas so keep your eyes peeled here, and you may see some talk of them.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Welcome aboard!!! Always glad to have someone who appreciates surf music in the group. I've been playing instrumental surf / rock since 1964 (termed "first wave" since surf originated in the early 60's). Also been fortunate enough to know some real gifted players in the surf music community and (from my experience) they are the best at lending a hand to provide instruction, support and communication about surf music.

Big Tiki Dude is right, there are surf bands in Texas. I know that some occasionally play in the "Deep Ellum" area of Dallas. Go see some surf shows and get a real feel for the music. It's just awesome stuff!!

Ron (ToneBoy)
The Mariners (1964 to Present) www.myspace.com/themarinersfirstwave
Lonzo & Oscar (1999 to Present) www.lonzoandoscar.net
www.myspace.com/lonzoandoscarcomedy
Billy Henson & Summerstorm (2001 to Present)

The Thunderchiefs are from Texas, you should check 'em out if you get a chance, they're terrific!

I've been playing on & off for 33 years! & I just discovered Surf music as something new to me. I've heard it before but just never played it until recently! I got so AMPED about it that I started a Surf Band & I only knew a half a song! Welcome! Just as these great bunch of guys welcomed me a few short weeks ago!

CousinBarney

CousinBarney
...! I got so AMPED about it that I started a Surf Band & I only knew a half a song!

this is totally what surf is all about!
-dp

Yeah, I'm totally into THIS! I should have done this sonner! But, you know what? I'm glad I'm here now! I've been in a lot of bands and it always turned to garbage, but playing in a surf band has never been such fun!!!!

CousinBarney

Joelman
JrCoasterI'm not sure if there are any posters that don't actually play at all. If there are they don't mention it much.

There are, unless DJs count as players

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

ElMonstroPorFavor.

You may/may not play guitar, but I have heard some DJ's play some pretty fine music. Wink
smiles Very Happy
Joel

Welcome, Jr. Coaster! Looking forward to hearing your band...
Rock

Bob

Bob

Page 1 of 1