Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink So how big are the Surfrajettes?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

That longhorn bass is impressive as hell! Did Danelectro make that?! Does it have 31 frets? Sounds good too.

Daniel Deathtide

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:58:21

From the videos I've seen, especially their live show they appear to be pretty competent players with good tones. I like the idea of playing more modern covers and arranging them for surf. Like most surf bands, not a lot of movement on stage, but they have a good look for the non-traditional surf crowd (like los straitjackets). I hope to get to a show.

My only question is WHERE CAN YOU STILL FIND THE BLUE FENDER EXCELSIOR???

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

All other factors (gear/talent/tone/etc...) being equal, if they were old white dudes in bad Hawaiian shirts would this thread even exist?

Probably not. Just saying.

Hey, Josh. You're probably right, but that's kind of the point of the thread. We all know how far being a "regular" surf band will get you, even if you're REALLY good. Bands that have something else going on that makes them more billable to the general public usually get threads like this (the above-mentioned Monsters From Mars were one, I believe) because despite the fact that we're all well aware of where we stand, we still like to entertain the notion that there's something, some fluke thing, that could propel surf music back in the general direction of the popular realm that it occupied once upon a time. It's wishful thinking that we like to engage in because I think we're all rooting for it on the occasions that something makes it seem even remotely feasible. You and I were both at 101 this past year. Is anything these girls are doing on par with anything that we saw there? Opinions may differ. I saw these girls at The Hukilau last year and I think they did a great job. They sound good, are tight, and are staying pretty true to it. I wish them all the success they can get.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

I wish they had a bit more energy like the Trashwomen had/have.
But not get garagy, just a tad heavier, it's very safe sounding.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

josheboy wrote:

All other factors (gear/talent/tone/etc...) being equal, if they were old white dudes in bad Hawaiian shirts would this thread even exist?

Probably not. Just saying.

You are 100% right. The reason things lime this keep occupying my mind is that I have a dream that surf, or some derivative, will come back into the spotlight the way that rockabilly, swing, and vintage Americana have. The reason I keep holding onto this notion is that I am a pro musician that makes my meager living from playing original music. My real love, musically, has been instrumental music such as surf for the last few years. It’s what I want to play. And although when I put a project together, I don’t do it with the idea that I’m going to be on Coachella with Rihanna, I do strive to have something that plays to more than ten disinterested people per week for free.
So, while I am putting together my project, I have to constantly fend off the depressing notion that I’m doing this for nothing when I see videos of such amazing bands not getting any real recognition. And so I am always thinking about the marketing aspect of niche things like this. What is it, besides vocals, that post modern jukebox or brian setzer orchestra or dead south have that earns them the respect with large audiences that surf seems to keep missing? It’s not just visual... because plenty of surf bands have pretty outlandish and awesome visual images.
So anyway, when I see a surf band getting talked about by people that aren’t necessarily buried in the surf scene (Messer Chups) or have respectable amounts of views and borderline viral videos on social media(surferjettes) it gives me the hope to continue with my own endeavor. While still trying to dissect why bands like these rise above the pack of so many other awesome bands out there.
I think this band is pretty cool. But you are right... if they were just dudes in Hawaiian shirts, it would not be a big deal. So images play a role in this stuff. But then there are other bands with great images that haven’t gotten the same attention. So what is it?

Guitarist for Black Valley Moon & Down By Law

They are women, period
It will draw attention

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: May 15, 2018 18:41:38

If I heard this band, without ever seeing a visual, I would be interested in them. There are many flavors of surf music, and the Suffragettes are doing what's right for them. As much as I like the heavier stuff, I like this style, too.
To answer Josh- Yes, if they were middle age white guys in Hawaiaan shirts, they would get there own thread. There are lots of threads here with about MAWGWHS, some whose music I dig, and many whose music I don't.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

But, Ferenc, There is a huge difference in starting a thread about your own band, And somebody starting a thread about a band asking why they are making such a buzz on social media. Shock

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I was just answering Josh's question. Sorry.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

No worries
I just clarified it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: May 15, 2018 19:50:02

bigtikidude wrote:

They are women, period
It will draw attention

But what about post modern jukebox? Brian setzer? The multitude of rockabilly bands that are successful? I know these girls being girls is an automatic leg up, in terms of promotion. I’m sure Svetlana plays a role in the notoriety of Messer Chups, as well. I just hope that doesn’t mean every other surf band is doomed to obscurity.

Guitarist for Black Valley Moon & Down By Law

I'm of the mindset that not having a singer makes it near impossible in America to gain any attention. Other countries especially Europe is probably more open to instro.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Instro bands making it big is the exception, not the rule. Being women gets them more gigs/promotion, being solid players and playing popular covers (and I think they are younger than the average SG101er player??-maybe not) gives them wider appeal. That a good portion of the surf listening audience is male, doesn't hurt. Also, they probably bring in the female audience, which unfortunately, none of my bands have ever been able to do since I hit my 40's way back when. I think most of us agree, anyone getting surf out to a larger audience trickles down to the rest of us looking for gigs. AND I LOVE THAT AMP!!

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

bigtikidude wrote:

I'm of the mindset that not having a singer makes it near impossible in America to gain any attention. Other countries especially Europe is probably more open to instro.

This. If you want to make any money, don’t play surf. If you want to be famous, don’t play surf. If you just want to have fun, play surf.

I agree that it would be cool if they stepped up the tempos and got a little more Trashwomeny, but what they are doing is still great! The Donnas, once they started writing their own material (post Radio X), got plenty famous. My belief is that was largely because they were all girls playing hard rock. Man those Radio X records are gold, the rest are very meh to me.

Daniel Deathtide

I'm thinking thier just doing this for a fun hobby
and had no idea how big or fast they would grow.
I think their simplicity is what makes people
identify with them.
i hear some people say their tired of over complicated
surf tunes that have no main melody ,they just drift from riff to riff
no real direction and sooo very lost in reverb.
i notice thier reverb is not as reverby as others
and you can hear the notes not so washed out.
REMEMBER THE BEATLES how did they get so popular
THIER WAS PEOPLE WHO COULD OUT PLAY and OUT SING the beatles
people listening could care less how fast you do a riff
or how many scales you can do so very difficult.
thay remind me of john lennon and paul mccartney kind of personlities.
another one is chet atkins he could out play duane eddy
and asked why duane are you selling more records than me and duane said
chet your playing over thier heads.
having said that i'm not comparing them to the beatles i'm just saying thier personalities and simplicity reminds me of them.
by the way most successfull bands are males so why say the women
have the advantage when thier clearly the minority
most women bands don't make it at all.way more men bands
thier talented and have good taste in music that more people can identify with ,even old men in shorts and hawaii shirts.
alot of you guys on this forum can out play them
but you have to connect to the people .JUST SAYIN.

Last edited: May 17, 2018 01:42:00

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Great post!

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

I don't know? But they have 62k likes on their Facebook page.

To put that in perspective:
Los Straitjackets have 56k
Messer Chups have 34k
Satan's Pilgrims have 8k

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

I think we have 95, without a "k"...
Good luck to them and all surf bands everywhere!

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next