Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink So how big are the Surfrajettes?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

I'm always waiting to hear about that break through surf band that's going to bring the genre back to the masses. Lol. People seem to be posting about this band, non-stop, on social media. And I see they have a ton of 'likes'. Not that that means anything, but I have my fingers crossed for them. Killer band. Anyone seen them live? How was it?

Guitarist for Black Valley Moon & Down By Law

I really think they got something, hers an old 60's song
called i had to much to dream last night originally by the electric prunes
that the surfrajettes turned into a surf song and it's haunting.

The sound is very even in this video

Kudos to them for bringing the 60s go-go and beehive instro garage rock aesthetic and making some cool, chill sounds. Not all instro/surf has to be Dick Dale machine gun riffage at 175bpm. Hopefully, they'll make it to the west coast some time. I haven't been able to go on the Hang-ten Hangmen travels to Toronto for the festival shows so I have yet to take in one of their live shows. I wish them all the success.

I remember having to take my daughter somewhere and while we were driving, Toxic played on the radio. Once I heard that short exotic riff I got her to write down "make a surf version of Toxic" on a notepad but I never pursued it. Glad the Surfrajettes did! In fact, I have a similar story of "White Rabbit", but I never pursued that either once I heard their version. So, I certainly do enjoy their taste in music!

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

I wish them all good things. Just wish I could find go go boots in 11.

mj
bent playing for benter results
Do not attempt to adjust your TV set.
https://www.facebook.com/Bass-VI-Explorers-Club-179437279151035/
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Planet-Shamen-366987463657230/

Cool

Hope to get them to SG101 con in 2019

Jeff(bigtikidude)

More than 3 million views of their video on Facebook definitely makes them the most "seen" surf band in a long time. If you were their manager what would you do?
It's almost impossible to foresee or manufacture a meme. They probably should've ve had a studio recording of their version of "Toxic" ready for download before they released the video. Strike while the curling iron is hot. Something they should think about before their next video.
Right now, they should be trying to get on TV shows.
Long term? They've said that they are a surf band and won't get a singer, so that will limit them. But, if they keep it up, they could have success on the level of Los Straitjackets, I think that's about as far as you can go without vocals.
They have a careful and well thought out presentation, from the mid-century look and sets, and they are fine players with a sense of humor.
I hope they don't change their sound or cave to what some producer or label thinks will make them a success. Their instincts are right on.
It's going to be fun to watch their career blossom.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Last edited: May 12, 2018 18:48:18

Video likes doesn't equal getting off the couch and going to see them.
Will be interesting how many people will come if they do a USA tour.
They have played a few USA one off shows.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Very easy band to book.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

FOR the gearheads like me, shermy the lady with the
sparkle blue jag has a set of curtis novak moustache gold foil pickups
she took a squire jaguar apart and it was refinished the sparkle blue color
and on the headstock it says SHERMY SHAGUAR.

Last edited: May 12, 2018 14:05:33

Yes, I actually was wondering what was going on with that Jag, so thanks for that. I went on to watch several performances and I think they are great. They really get surf music, the whole vibe is fun, and they have an authentic sound.

Websurfer your welcome i agree with you.
now i hope they write alot of awesome originals and capture the magic on
recording.they need to write longer songs thier originals are very short.
i wish them lots of luck and fortune.

I was just reminded of the first surf version of "Toxic" I heard. It was band I saw at a San Francisco house party in 2006. They killed it. Monsters from Mars were great.

Science friction burns my fingers.

Last edited: May 13, 2018 14:11:26

Well if nothing else, they are a LOT more interesting to look at than old white guys in shorts and Hawaiian shirts. Wink

Plus I really like their style and sound.

Thanks for that reminder, Tony. Monsters were a cool band.

tonybologna wrote:

I was just reminded of the first surf version of "Toxic" I heard. It was band I saw at a San Francisco house party in 2006. They killed it. Monsters from Mars were great.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:58:43

I like this tune and a lot of tunes Britney Spears sings. Richard Thompson did a great cover of ‘Oops I did it Again’ some time ago.
Her tunes have a heavy dose of perversity and dissonant hooks that work well for surf. Maybe she could kickstart her sagging career by hiring the Surfragettes to back her.

tonybologna wrote:

Squink Out!

JObeast wrote:

Her tunes have a heavy dose of perversity and dissonant hooks that work well for surf. Maybe she could kickstart her sagging career by hiring the Surfragettes to back her.

Shocked Exclamation Exclamation I gotta say that's one amazing idea!!! How incredible would that be??

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I miss the Monsters from Mars also.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

But not the least likely. They don’t even let singers like her write their own tunes. I think those two Swedish babyboomers who produce all of Madonna’s, Taylor Swift’s and Katy Perry’s songs also compose Britney’s.

IvanP wrote:

JObeast wrote:

Shocked Exclamation Exclamation I gotta say that's one amazing idea!!! How incredible would that be??

Squink Out!

Last edited: May 14, 2018 19:58:42

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next