Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
329 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
257 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
257 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
177 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
155 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
124 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
117 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
78 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
11 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
11 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Taking the plunge, will have questions...

Page 1 of 1

Playing surf guitar has been something I've been meaning to do for a long time and I'm finally in.

On background, I've been playing bass for nearly 40 years, starting in the late 70s with a Ric and SVT playing Sabbath and Zep to the past 10 or so years concentrating mostly on RHCP with a StingRay and GK. Maintained an upright throughout for all sorts of hijinks.

I recently picked up some gear to get started on surf: valve amp, reverb, semi hollow guitar, etc. (plus a Theremin).

After about a month, I'm getting some speed and accuracy going with my right hand. Speed wasn't going to be an issue after the years of playing Flea's slap lines, but keep in mind, a pick is very foreign to me.

So my first question is about picking. How do I control the noise? It may be a case of being over sensitive from playing only with fingers for so long, but I get a distinct click on the B and E that I can't seem to quiet.

I currently have 11s with a wound G on it (but also had the issue with 13s on a Tele). I've tried all different picks from .46 to .88, using the point, the side and the rounded part. .58 Gator Grip seems to be my favorite and the least noisy. I've also tried different grips, letting it move a bit, choking up, holding very tight, loose...

There isn't much of an issue on the wound strings and again I may be oversensitive to it, so any insight, hints or even to be told to 'get over it, it's what happens with 6 strings' would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi, this is Gellert, the guitar player for The Fintastics. I use everything from .6 to 1.0mm picks but prefer the .6 to .7 sizes. I am guessing that the picking noise you hear is coming out of your amp or headphones? The only remedy I can think of is that you are using too much area of the pick when striking a string/strings. You have to use the least amount of surface area on the pick to make a note or chord sound without noise. (Chords not so much as single notes). If you are using the sides or bottom sides of the pick, the extra plink plink noises come out worse. Having a loose grip on the pick will drag it across the string as opposed to a quick and sharp strike. A draggy pick will make noise regardless of what size or material it is made out of. If you YouTube the phrase "guitar picking accuracy", you can learn how the pros get notes plucked without a scratchy sound.

_

Hi, I'm Gellert, guitarist for The Fintastics.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFintastics

Ausf, hello and welcome to SG 101, damn glad to meet you. You have arrived at the right beach. All questions and ideas will be answered here by folks that know their stuff.

Happy Sunsets!

Greetings, fellow theremin (Moog Etherwave) and surf fan here.

Thanks for the welcome guys, greatly appreciate it.

I grew up in NYC, so not much surf, but worked as a divemaster for years and spend a lot of time on the Big Island back in the late 80s. So waves are in my blood, just under them...

Thanks for the tips Gellert, I've hit the 'tube and picked up some great info.

It's not a scratch or drag, but the audible attack on the high strings that bothers me. Searching through different techniques, it turns out I'm not that far off, I've already started on the correction.

I'm used to the natural circular motion of the wrist with slap and pop, but with picking I was using it in the wrong direction, if that makes sense. Instead of slant picking rotating up from resting the outside of my palm, I was rotating down which is how you get the percussive thump and set the ring and pinky up for the pop off.

Nice on the Etherwave Bammboozer, I went Moog, but took the easy(ier) way out with a Theremini since I plan on using it for a bunch of things and really needed the reference to get started. There are only so many hours in the day and I'm glad I did because it's hard enough to learn with all the help as it is.

Page 1 of 1