Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Guitar Center $1 billion in debt

LockNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

dragonsurfer wrote:

The shift to hip hop and rap threw away all the tools that were used for rock, turned the music industry on its head, lyric designed to prep victims to become prison culture ready.

I would ask that you no longer comment about anything other that surf music. You have opened your mouth and revealed your true self.

Disclosure, I don't like rap. What I hate more is people who generalize rap culture, black culture, and prison culture.

With the events of the past year and recently delving more into the human rights issues of the past 150 years I am going to have little patience for racism on this board.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018 23:29:30

JakeDobner wrote:

dragonsurfer wrote:

The shift to hip hop and rap threw away all the tools that were used for rock, turned the music industry on its head, lyric designed to prep victims to become prison culture ready.

I would ask that you no longer comment about anything other that surf music. You have opened your mouth and revealed your true self.

Disclosure, I don't like rap. What I hate more is people who generalize rap culture, black culture, and prison culture.

With the events of the past year and recently delving more into the human rights issues of the past 150 years I am going to have little patience for racism on this board.

I suggest you learn to read and think beyond a closed mind steeped in brainwashed fallacious argument.

Where is the "racism" involved and any mention of "black culture" in what I posted when rap and hip hop also has other races involved like Eminem as according to your viewpoint you jumped the shark assuming that I inferred only blacks are involved.

It is the music genre inferred not the color of the artists who create the music.

Only you choose to see things this way hence your post is off track and insulting to yourself if anyone.

I suggest you study the information more rather than try and lump a "hate" rant based on low information on your part.

I merely posted historic events that do have something to do with the state of the present music industry.

You on the other hand took it somewhere else, showing "your" "true self" in that your ability to comprehend is limited.

You triggered went off half-cocked.

Doesn't say good things about your understanding of the world.

Did you read the article in the link provided by the OP?

Did you read this:

“Most of what’s really selling today is rap and hip hop,” said George Gruhn, owner of the Gruhn Guitars shop in Nashville. “That’s outpacing other forms of music and they don’t use a lot of recognizable musical instruments.”

So in providing historic and esoteric insight as to how music through the many decades has been controlled by social engineers (look up the word) it got highly misconstrued by YOU whittled down to a "racist" issue?

Whatever

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018 00:00:36

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:08:02

I would take all this 'end of guitar music' with a very large pinch of salt. This isn't the first time the bell has tolled - music trends are very cyclical, even to the extent of being utterly predictable.

You can look at the heavy metal boom in the late 60s / early 70s, the punk explosion at the end of the 70s, the grunge movement in the early 90s, the garage rock revival in the early 00's...after that point I become too old and out of touch to note what the next big rock revolution was Confused

Point is, rock music - just like any other genre - has its peaks and troughs. The reason I think a company like Guitar Center is possibly going under is more to do with any brick and mortar business: online, people now have a wealth of options when it comes to guitar buying, particularly eBay and the aftermarket

It's a sign o' the times. Hey, there you go, even Prince played guitar.

Tqi wrote:

Yeh, I can certainly see where Jake is coming from there.

I'm going to ask a different question:

can be blamed on social engineering when the CIA went to MTV under Sumner Redstone and told MTV to stop rotation on pop and rock to instead play hip hop and rap.

That's a joke, right?

I'm not sure about the CIA but I think there was some sort of legal action involving MTV. I first heard about it through a documentary about MTV although I'm sorry to say It was so long ago I can't remember much about it.

What concerned me was the change in what was a beautiful free-to-air satellite transponder - MTV Europe. VJ's of all European Nationalities, sexy, rebellious, outrageously funny commercials and an extremely wide range of music. Then Sky came along and it was no longer free-to-air, it became more like children's TV (IMHO)with music I wasn't interested in. I gave up on it never to look back.

maximumsurfandroll wrote:

I would take all this 'end of guitar music' with a very large pinch of salt. This isn't the first time the bell has tolled - music trends are very cyclical, even to the extent of being utterly predictable.

You can look at the heavy metal boom in the late 60s / early 70s, the punk explosion at the end of the 70s, the grunge movement in the early 90s, the garage rock revival in the early 00's...after that point I become too old and out of touch to note what the next big rock revolution was Confused

Point is, rock music - just like any other genre - has its peaks and troughs. The reason I think a company like Guitar Center is possibly going under is more to do with any brick and mortar business: online, people now have a wealth of options when it comes to guitar buying, particularly eBay and the aftermarket

It's a sign o' the times. Hey, there you go, even Prince played guitar.

It's a dip in popularity, there's no threat to the instrument itself. Music is endless. There's always somebody out there making the music you want. Last year I was able to find nearly 100 new surf LPs, music with basically zero popular viability. When I'm not listening to surf I'm listening to shoegaze and psych and neither of those feel like they're in any sort of rut -- if anything they both feel like there's a lot of exciting things going on. I'd say the same about surf.

We have more ways of finding music now. The ultra-mainstream isn't guitar-focused but the ultra-mainstream dictates our listening a lot less than it used to.

And really, the guitar still holds a lot of cultural capital. Picture a rockstar and they're not at the keyboards. This weekend I'm organizing a record fair and I know what always sells: Led Zeppelin and 70's rock bands.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

music trends are very cyclical, even to the extent of being utterly predictable.

I believe this to be true. However - it might take a few lifetimes where we at now.

You can look at the heavy metal boom in the late 60s / early 70s, the punk explosion at the end of the 70s, the grunge movement in the early 90s, the garage rock revival in the early 00's...after that point ...

After that point it ended.
Really, nothing substantial, as far as guitar - only Surf.
A few boy bands maybe. Tons of metal sub-post-genres, and is where I see talented musicians getting drawn to. But you still got your classical music schools all over the world, got your regional traditions, your Youtube stars, Jazzers never go away, and the alternative-avantgarde-hipster-punk oriented who keep it weird. Music is fine. Just maybe, there wasn't a justification for Aerosmith to be that big in the '70 (just as an example), and somehow they marked an almost unfair peak. Same for record companies, guitar chains and manufacturers. In other words, that 'decline' we're all trying to wrap our heads around, might be alternatively described as normalization, and expectations from this industry should adjust to reality.

• music trends are very cyclical, even to the extent of being utterly predictable.

History would prove otherwise.
The Harpsichord, Mandolin and Banjo were all the rage in pop culture during individual periods.
The guitar, arising in popular culture a few decades into the twentieth century has already had an atypical duration.
This should cause us Surf/Instro/Guitar lovers no concern as we'll always love the instrument and the music.

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

As a contrast to local music stores and the big box stores, mr friend that bought a guitar form Mansons (A gretsch) asked if he could buy a case. He'd seen it for sale at a big box store and asked if Mansons would match the price of £115. "They cost £119 for us to buy!" was the response.

Big business practice of saddling newly purchased companies with debt seems to cause more problems than a downturn in the market.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Ariel wrote:

music trends are very cyclical, even to the extent of being utterly predictable.

I believe this to be true. However - it might take a few lifetimes where we at now.

You can look at the heavy metal boom in the late 60s / early 70s, the punk explosion at the end of the 70s, the grunge movement in the early 90s, the garage rock revival in the early 00's...after that point ...

After that point it ended.
Really, nothing substantial, as far as guitar - only Surf.
A few boy bands maybe. Tons of metal sub-post-genres, and is where I see talented musicians getting drawn to. But you still got your classical music schools all over the world, got your regional traditions, your Youtube stars, Jazzers never go away, and the alternative-avantgarde-hipster-punk oriented who keep it weird. Music is fine. Just maybe, there wasn't a justification for Aerosmith to be that big in the '70 (just as an example), and somehow they marked an almost unfair peak. Same for record companies, guitar chains and manufacturers. In other words, that 'decline' we're all trying to wrap our heads around, might be alternatively described as normalization, and expectations from this industry should adjust to reality.

The one thing that is scary to me is the fact that once you lose critical mass, so to speak, it can become difficult to learn. My background is jazz guitar and I was fortunate to live in a city, Denver, Colorado, where there were a lot of good players and lots of options for serious lessons. In many places, this is no longer true. There might be lots of old Metal players out there giving lessons, but to find someone that can teach in the tradition of classic jazz guitar is not such a sure bet in many places.

So, while I agree that the special interests, such as Surf and Jazz will continue, I fear that some of the "tribal knowledge" may not survive much longer and the genres will become diluted.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Few observations:
1) Debt is only one portion of financials. Would need to see complete financials to properly analyze, salaries, dividends, expenses, income etc... Does sound like a few people have more information and insight on this area but probably not a complete picture.
2) Jake's comments,
a) Maybe we shouldn't tell people what they should comment on, just disagree. free speech is free speech.
b) You are correct - small business is hard. Some business owners do have to work 3 times harder, others are not cut out to be owners. As a CPA I see people who start businesses and have no idea of all the regulation, time and cost to do business because their previous "bosses" were taking care of these things or they didn't research/plan enough. A lot of businesses require so much investment in equipment and inventory that it's difficult to turn a profit for several years if ever.

3) I hope Guitar Center doesn't close I still like walking through stores with lots of selections and I like the people that work at the one in Glen Burnie.

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Here's an analysis from 2015 predicting GC's collapse way ahead of the curve based on how they've been handled by private equity firms.

https://www.ericgarland.co/2015/02/03/end-guitar-center/

Four String Fender for The Delstroyers & The Woodhavens

amnesiack wrote:

Here's an analysis from 2015 predicting GC's collapse way ahead of the curve based on how they've been handled by private equity firms.

https://www.ericgarland.co/2015/02/03/end-guitar-center/

Nice post. If I wasn't in the middle of tax season I would read all of it. Will print and read later. His previous posts on 2017 closing contains a lot of retailers I see closing and selling out locally. Thanks for the post!

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018 10:20:19

Tqi wrote:

Yeh, I can certainly see where Jake is coming from there.

I'm going to ask a different question:

can be blamed on social engineering when the CIA went to MTV under Sumner Redstone and told MTV to stop rotation on pop and rock to instead play hip hop and rap.

That's a joke, right?

No it is not a joke.

What's puzzling here is for all the information technology out there, many people especially those victims of the dumbing down of America, remain in the dark by choice and use their devices for feckless purposes.
Look up and read The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America by Charlotte Iserbyt who served as Senior Policy Advisor in the Office of Educational Research and Improvement.

Music is CONTROLLED, it does not follow "business models" and trends are directed and controlled. Just as Hollywood is controlled as to the scripts for movies.

http://www.businessinsider.com/former-music-exec-describes-the-scary-meeting-that-resulted-in-todays-violent-rap-music-2012-5

http://www.hiphopisread.com/2012/04/secret-meeting-that-changed-rap-music.html?m=1

The people you choose to listen to will like the dodo bird lead you to extinction.

You may have not been around when all this went down. Or if you were you did not pay much attention. How can you explain that all of a sudden, music took a left turn and rock started to disappear?

When you force feed empty minds another form of pablum, they grow up brainwashed into wanting only that.
JUST LOOK AT YOUR SCHOOLS. They are hiring teachers to change the way people think, they are throwing away English and history as subject majors and churning out mindless lazy people who want welfare and think America owes them a living.

The fact you need to question my post is proof your ability to CRITICAL THINK is in arrested development.

You have no idea that even in the 1960's the CIA used Timothy Leary to spread the use of LSD among musicians, which was developed for the CIA as an INTERROGATION DRUG. It just so happened that with its hallucinogenic effects, LSD was used to direct musicians and their followers into a mind reboot to turn people into suggestive sponges.

You have the same thing today with Raves and Ecstasy which are the staples in EDM concerts complete with subliminal info on giant video walls.

Now it's my turn to ask: why you for all your electronic devices have no clues to this information?

That's a joke, right?

Timothy Leary goes to Hollywood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WISFFhU9hVc

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018 14:28:45

So the CIA is really to blame for my reverb addiction?

Come on, man. I think the tin foil on your head might be wound a little too tight.

As for Guitar Center, when your business gets hit with a dip in sales and you use debt to stay afloat for longer than a quarter or two, then you're just asking for trouble. They should've made cuts/adjustments to match actual market demand instead of loading on the debt to stay afloat. Now they have to make cuts/demands to make monthly debt payments... or take on more debt.

josheboy wrote:

So the CIA is really to blame for my reverb addiction?

Come on, man. I think the tin foil on your head might be wound a little too tight.

As for Guitar Center, when your business gets hit with a dip in sales and you use debt to stay afloat for longer than a quarter or two, then you're just asking for trouble. They should've made cuts/adjustments to match actual market demand instead of loading on the debt to stay afloat. Now they have to make cuts/demands to make monthly debt payments... or take on more debt.

Strawman fallacious argument comeback has your mother in a whirl there rebel-rebel?

Do you know how to critical think and read?

Your analysis of GC's troubles is totally lacking in the overall BIGUSDIKUS PICTURE!

Companies like GC, Sears, are being dismantled through economic depression ON PURPOSE.

Have you ever heard the term FULL SPECTRUM DOMINANCE?

Ever wonder why not just GC is on the rocks, but Gibson as well?
Ever wonder why people don't have the money to go into these stores to buy these products which if you understood FULL SPECTRUM DOMINANCE you would see that the fact that America's industries were shipped overseas, towns turned into rust belts meanwhile guys like Jeff BEZOS was GIVEN MILLIONS BY THE CIA to fund AMAZON with the multi-point task of destroying brick and mortar stores, small companies (YEAH LIKE GC) to force America into an economy down spiral!

Step back there josheSOYboy and give your reverb tank a rest there.

Those spindly springs can't handle the sheer weight of this info.

It is all cyclical. Music, instruments hold a different place in every generation, does not mean it does not have value or is not important, just not as prominent as it might have been in previous generations. With the amount of "things" vying for ones attention in this day and age, this is not a shocking trend. For those of us who were around prior to the internet, playing an instrument, playing shows was the perfect form of expression, but that does not necessarily hold true today. A Mac Book, software and I can produce my own music in the comfort of my own home. As a 13 or 14 year old, what would you choose?

The Me Gustas
https://themegustas.com

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018 15:15:28

Jeez I thought this was the shallow end, it's really starting to feel like the deep end

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Thumbs Down

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 13:07:35

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next