Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink New G&L Offset Jazzmaster

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

JakeDobner wrote:

IvanP wrote:

JakeDobner wrote:

This is 100% a dad guitar.

The 'dad' putdown is one of the most obnoxious things millennials have come up. You're much better than that, Jake. Mad

This is 100% a lawyer guitar.

I think you meant professor's guitar.

Ivan, why are you taking the dad shoe thing so personally? Did he insult you for liking it? Did I miss something?

The dad thing isn't even directed at dads. Why would anybody blanket insult dads? I'm not a dad, but I would like to be one day. And Dad's are cool. Check out Chip's Instagram, that dude knows how to dad.

The dad thing is akin to dad jeans, mom jeans, dad shoes. I'm 33 now, which is dad age. I wear comfortable shoes to walk in now. They look ridiculous. I wear a ridiculous hat to keep the sun out of my eyes. Those are 'dad' things.

To me the dad thing means both not giving a fuck about appearances and taking a giant leap/interest into new hobbies. I just got the new John Mayer album, I'm thinking of getting this $1000 G&L Jazzmaster and taking lessons on youtube. Or, like me, I enjoy taking photos I think I'm going to buy this $2K camera and thousands more in lenses before I even know how to take a photo.

I wish there were more G&L dealers nearby so I could check one out. The extra knob is part of their PTB circuit, which is a standard tone knob and a bass roll off. It's actually really useful if you've never used one.

IvanP wrote:

JakeDobner wrote:

This is 100% a dad guitar.

The 'dad' putdown is one of the most obnoxious things millennials have come up. You're much better than that, Jake. Mad

It is arguable that the whole surf guitar scene is 'dad'.
On another, much more general forum (from which I got banned for not repressing my socio-religio-political orientation sufficiently - twice is enough, thanks) they use the term 'dad-rock' quite pejoratively. My guess is by millennials against the older members. It's essentially an 'ageist' term and ought to be avoided. It harps on the unsuitability of post-post-adolescent men to be seen playing guitar, the male equivalent of calling a woman 'matronly'.

Squink Out!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017 23:38:09

Using millennial and hipster as on p1 of this thread is equally pejorative.
As is dad in the same context.
And lawyer and professor.

The bottom line for me is: I don't like this guitar.
I like my teles. I hope to like my jazzmaster when I get it back (out for level and crown), now that I think I've corrected all the things I didn't like about it. This g&l went the wrong way with the platform as far as I'm concerned.

Looks like a good guitar for Surf or other. G&L typically manufactures good quality instruments. Cool color. The simplified circuit would likely be a selling point for many.

"Dad guitar"... that's about the silliest thing I've read here in quite some time??

I see no downside to a potential purchase.

METEOR IV on reverbnation

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017 06:31:51

The Dad guitar is a bass...

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Didn't like it ... the jack is located in the worst place for an offset body.

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

Ive played a few older GnLs that I liked ( strat variants) but theres a few things about this that I dont like ( even without trying ) .
Not even an attempt at the JM/Jag vibrato ...the free length of string between bridge and vibrato makes magic ,otherwise ya might as well play a strat.
I really dont care for the pickup selector above the strings ....I'd knock it around . A regular Jag/JM circuit selector slide switch is pretty small in comparison and Id prefer THAT in another place as well ( its one of the features I just live with )

I didn't take personal offense at the 'dad-guitar' comment. I am not a dad. But as I already explained, I find the whole 'dad-jeans', etc. stuff really obnoxious. I understand if it comes from clueless, rebellious teenagers, but when it's coming from adults, even young adults, I think it's completely ridiculous - especially in regards to music, or in particular rock music, as in 'dad-rock'. Probably because as far as I can tell, millennials (not a term of putdown, simply a name for a generation) have not contributed a whole lot to music or art so far, and certainly nothing of significance to rock music (keeping in mind that the oldest millennials are now 32 years old). I have no doubt there's a generation gap at work there, and I just 'don't get it', but that's how it seems to me. Passion and dedication in music seems to be exhibited much more by the GenX and the Baby Boomers, even to this day. I've always felt that I stand on the shoulders of giants in music, and have had a great deal of reverence for the musicians that have come before. All my favorite musicians are basically my parents' age. So it never would even have occurred to me to put down my parents' generation in such a way, since it seems to me that the music created by the Baby Boomers is much superior to my own generation's music. When I think about what music is likely to still be listened to in a hundred or two hundred years, hands down it's the Baby Boomers' music, not my own generations'. Those of us here on this forum are playing music invented by the Baby Boomers and even the previous generation (i.e., DD) - on instruments designed and sometimes actually built by those generations, too. I greatly admire those generations, they've done a lot more for music than my own generation, which is why it's a matter of deep pride and satisfaction to me to be able to play with my dad or John Blair or co-write with Jim Skiathitis of the Atlantics. In light of all that, the 'Dad-rock' comment strikes me as a remarkably DUMB one to make. "Dads" and even "Grandads" as a generalization rock a LOT more and a LOT harder than any of today's young people from everything I've seen, and on guitars designed and built by THEM. What guitars have been designed by millennials? Gimme a freakin' break, just totally ridiculous.

Chip wanted an explanation from me - there you go. I have zero interest in continuing with this discussion any further, so I am out.

Regarding this G&L guitar, here's my take on it. It seems to me that the offsets are finally having their moment in the sun. I see Fender putting them in their advertisements a lot more than ever before, and younger bands using them more than ever before. Probably because they're not associated with 'dad-rock'. Rolling Eyes So I think Jake is completely wrong about the intended customers for this guitar. As several others have pointed out, actual lawyers (maybe some professors, too) have plenty of money to get the real deal, and usually want not just the real deal, but the REAL DEAL. This G&L guitar is going to be fairly affordable, and it looks quite a lot like the offsets played by many young guitarists. Most young guitarists don't seem to me to be terribly bothered by not having guitars that are vintage-correct, they just want a decent instrument. G&L have a great Leo-designed 2-pt trem system, and rather than tooling up to just copy the offset trem design, they took the body shape and stuck their popular trem system on it, expecting that most young people playing it won't give a hoot that it's not 'correct'. My final guess is that this is just an experiment, throw it against the wall and see if it sticks. Produce a few hundred, and see if they sell. That's my take on it.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017 16:50:21

I say it's a imitation of a Jazzmaster. In fact all of their guitar bodies are close to the Fender brand of bodies.
Here's a video of the guitar being played.
Eh,,, nothing new under the sun I'd say. Price about the same as a player Jazzmaster. So why buy it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=cuF5dbcwVck

IvanP wrote:

I didn't take personal offense at the 'dad-guitar' comment. I am not a dad. But as I already explained, I find the whole 'dad-jeans', etc. stuff really obnoxious. I understand if it comes from clueless, rebellious teenagers, but when it's coming from adults, even young adults, I think it's completely ridiculous - especially in regards to music, or in particular rock music, as in 'dad-rock'. Probably because as far as I can tell, millennials (not a term of putdown, simply a name for a generation) have not contributed a whole lot to music or art so far, and certainly nothing of significance to rock music (keeping in mind that the oldest millennials are now 32 years old). I have no doubt there's a generation gap at work there, and I just 'don't get it', but that's how it seems to me. Passion and dedication in music seems to be exhibited much more by the GenX and the Baby Boomers, even to this day. I've always felt that I stand on the shoulders of giants in music, and have had a great deal of reverence for the musicians that have come before. All my favorite musicians are basically my parents' age. So it never would even have occurred to me to put down my parents' generation in such a way, since it seems to me that the music created by the Baby Boomers is much superior to my own generation's music. When I think about what music is likely to still be listened to in a hundred or two hundred years, hands down it's the Baby Boomers' music, not my own generations'. Those of us here on this forum are playing music invented by the Baby Boomers and even the previous generation (i.e., DD) - on instruments designed and sometimes actually built by those generations, too. I greatly admire those generations, they've done a lot more for music than my own generation, which is why it's a matter of deep pride and satisfaction to me to be able to play with my dad or John Blair or co-write with Jim Skiathitis of the Atlantics. In light of all that, the 'Dad-rock' comment strikes me as a remarkably DUMB one to make. "Dads" and even "Grandads" as a generalization rock a LOT more and a LOT harder than any of today's young people from everything I've seen, and on guitars designed and built by THEM. What guitars have been designed by millennials? Gimme a freakin' break, just totally ridiculous.

Chip wanted an explanation from me - there you go. I have zero interest in continuing with this discussion any further, so I am out.

Regarding this G&L guitar, here's my take on it. It seems to me that the offsets are finally having their moment in the sun. I see Fender putting them in their advertisements a lot more than ever before, and younger bands using them more than ever before. Probably because they're not associated with 'dad-rock'. Rolling Eyes So I think Jake is completely wrong about the intended customers for this guitar. As several others have pointed out, actual lawyers (maybe some professors, too) have plenty of money to get the real deal, and usually want not just the real deal, but the REAL DEAL. This G&L guitar is going to be fairly affordable, and it looks quite a lot like the offsets played by many young guitarists. Most young guitarists don't seem to me to be terribly bothered by not having guitars that are vintage-correct, they just want a decent instrument. G&L have a great Leo-designed 2-pt trem system, and rather than tooling up to just copy the offset trem design, they took the body shape and stuck their popular trem system on it, expecting that most young people playing it won't give a hoot that it's not 'correct'. My final guess is that this is just an experiment, throw it against the wall and see if it sticks. Produce a few hundred, and see if they sell. That's my take on it.

As they say on forums, "This".
Ivan - you nailed every tack on the head here.
As they say in Sgt. Rock, "'Nuff said".

Squink Out!

Thanks, JO. Let me say this, though: reading it back it comes off harsher than I intended. Jake, I'm sorry, I didn't mean for it be an attack on you. This is something that's been increasingly bugging me for a while now. I intended just for a bit of chiding in the first two posts, but once prompted to explain it, it all came flooding out. Please don't take it personally, it's not supposed to be. Sorry again.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Lol. younger band are using offsets more than ever before to not contribute to music or art.

I thank you for some light entertainment this evening.

My kids are millennials, I never realized they've been mocking me by calling me dad.

Chippertheripper wrote:

Lol. younger band are using offsets more than ever before to not contribute to music or art.

Chip, come on, you can do better than that. Clearly there are a lot of young bands out there. And clearly I was making a value judgment about the quality of the music they're producing, just as I was making a value judgment about the relative merits of the music made by the Baby Boomers vs. the GenX. You're welcome to disagree.

Surf_Skater wrote:

My kids are millennials, I never realized they've been mocking me by calling me dad.

Really, that's your take away from what I wrote? Rolling Eyes I give up.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Ivan, I think Surf_Skater was making a joke.

I suppose you got a problem with "dad bods" too Wink

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

DannySnyder wrote:

Ivan, I think Surf_Skater was making a joke.

I guess I didn't get it.

I suppose you got a problem with "dad bods" too Wink

Yes, yes, I do - both with having one, or having that pointed out!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

This is hilarious coming back from 3 days in the northwoods at a tournament where I picked off fish while others were staring into their "latest shiny object that needs its own belt-holder." (Old MILSPEC flip-phone in my pocket, turned off.)

Aesthetically don't care for the guitar. But then I've never cared for that headstock, so it's out from the get-go. On to the Shallow End type stuff... Laughing

Love Jake's use of the word 'dad' as a verb, same as in "that feller can really can really cowboy." I hope you can be a Dad someday; takes a long time for the payoff but worth it during introspective moments if done right. (Like being gone & finding out #3 grand-daughter came over to help grandma clean the fridge drawers & shelves.) Cool

I think Danny might be right about the bass thing.

I don't understand what 'dad' clothing is; I wear stuff for utility/comfort, often weather driven, and don't even understand the preoccupation with (or cost of) clothing these days.

The road trip up north & back listening to partner's Sirius satellite thingy full of lyrics caused me to put on a louder-than-normal sleeping loop of Crazy Aces, Surge!, Penetrators, Space Cossacks/Madeira, Kilaeuas & a bunch of stuff. Et voila! Self-absorbent mournful words purged.

(Clicking ruby slippers, there's no place like home.)

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Big Grin

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next