Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
332 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
259 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
259 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
179 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
158 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
119 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
80 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Topanga Reverb Pedal - still at the top ?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Is the Topanga reverb pedal still the pedal to beat?

I'm just talking pedals (not including surfy bear, spring rever pedals only)

Last edited: Jul 01, 2017 01:25:30

I suppose it's all down to personal preference.

I'm not such a big fan of he Topanga. It does sound good, but not spring-y enough to my ears. If I had to use a pedal I'd go with my Line 6 Verbzilla, or its cheap plastic clone the Behringer RV600 Reverb Machine. Or possibly the Boss FRV-1, which I quite like despite its shrill tone and its terrible reputation here on SG101. It's no match for a real tank (tube or Surfy Bear) but it's still a good digital emulation in my opinion.

And now if you'll excuse me I need to go put my flame suit on Stuff Hits the Fan

Old punks never die... They just become surf rockers.

Regret selling mine, perhaps not the ultimate but it worked well for what I was doing.

For pedals I've found the Digitech Supernatural "spring" setting to be the best. Definitely worth trying out.

That being said, you can't beat the real thing: Gomez G-Spring all the way!

What's best is subjective. I like it a lot. It has what I'm looking for in a reverb, without the bulk of a tank.

I think you bought mine, right?
obviously, it did nothing for me either. in a true pedal form, the only one I'm remotely interested in currently is the JRockett audio Boing. one knob, and from what I've heard (which is limited, for sure) when dimed, or thereabouts, it sounds the business.

I've become a bit disillusioned with mine as a "tank replacement" pedal - I think it tracks playing dynamics too much, pretty much disappearing when playing softly. They really should've modeled that characteristic more closely on the real thing, IMO.

Since TomH and I swap leads, I got tired of changing reverb levels back and forth. So I dumped my boost pedal and resorted to hitting the Topanga as a reverb boost for my leads and other parts that need a little accent. My Surfy Bear Reverb is always on low in the background. I really like how it accentuates leads and compliments the Surfy Bear. I use an 18 volt PS on the Topanga.

I really enjoy the Topanga and, until I got the heavenly Gomez G-Spring, it was my go-to "spring reverb" pedal. I used it rabidly for 6 months before ever having the pleasure of trying a real tank. With it, I made innumerable test recordings and/or passes on my ongoing homemade surf album.

I like how Topanga lets you hit the "tank input" pretty hard for some very raucous, and impolite, distortion that flavors its intriguing "spring" crashing sounds. (YMMV depending on input strength, I guess. I use single coil Fenders and they all react nicely, though differently.)

Still, I always doubted whether the high-end springiness was realistic. It errs on the warmer/darker side of how I imagined a real spring reverb would sound (then, known only from my favorite surf recordings).

It's got some of that clatter and definitely has the 'surf attitude' to tickle (or pummel) one's eardrums, but it's not super trebly and turning up the treble control doesn't magically add in the expected bright tingles of "spring."

I rationalized, "maybe this is not how EVERY reverb tank sounds, but surely this is how SOME reverb tanks sound, and that's good enough for my purposes." (I am clearly the Don Quixote of solitaire surf recording)

I even tried recording the lead guitar through the Topanga, and the rhythm guitar through the Flint, to make the recordings sound like two guys who own different equipment.

...Invariably, I found myself wishing my pretend surf band had two guys with REAL reverb tanks.

Indeed, its drip or overall 'wetness' did prove to be less inspiring than the real thing, but test recordings made after getting the G-Spring reveal that the Topanga still gets me 75% of the way to THAT raw surf vibe, if not the exact drip sound that I was after. Listeners' tastes are not likely as exacting as my own purist cravings - so in all likelihood, using a Topanga IS going to give a 'surf' impression. I daresay, in live performance, the Topanga would sound even closer to the ideal. It definitely gives something that's within the broad spectrum(s) of 'surf attitude.'

Mike_fried is spot-on in mentioning how the reverb almost goes away when picking very lightly. That always occurred to me to be unrealistic, and harmful to the surf happenings that one might hope for from a Topanga. Again, though, this deficiency might not rear its head in a live situation.

I tried every allowable voltage, by the way, and made test recordings. Depending on the whims of my tastes, I can't objectively say that 18v is BETTER than the others. I often prefer the minimum voltage, instead, because it strengthens that "input distortion" that really makes this pedal sound special in a mix.

Other Contenders

I found to my pleasant surprise that the spring reverb emulated in Zoom's MS-50G and G1on multi-effects pedals is actually really drippy - in a way that is kind of random, and pleasantly evident in a mix. There are some really interesting 'spring' sounds that appear to react to pitch & dynamics. This discovery gave me hope in modeled spring reverb and is what led me to shop around for a "real" fake reverb tank pedal Smile before eventually lucking into a real reverb tank.

I never tried the ill-reputed Boss pedal, though I suspect I would have appreciated at least some things about its shrillness. Ugliness has its place in my music, for sure.

I also really like the Strymon Flint, though in fairness its reverb side purports to imitate an in-amp rather than a tank reverb; it's splashy and very fine-sounding, but is ultimately far too polite for my needs. (I just use the other two reverb types as an occasional effect - and mostly groove on Flints's fine, fine harmonic trem.)

Last edited: Jul 06, 2017 12:39:16

I never had it on top ...tried one and liked it but didnt love it . But I said the same about my Boss FRV-1 pedal and have kinda changed my opinion about it since . My re -ish tank was in the shop a a year ago and I just used the FRV-1 for a month or so. It was fine although I miss kicking the tank (really) .I've always had to turn the tone all the way down and the dwell high and mix kinda high but it does deliver the drip I like in spades ... so I have changed my opinion of the Boss pedal to 'good enough'
So maybe the Topanga would grow on me too ; my recollection was that it was good but not worth the extra $ from the cost of the Boss .

I had a Boss FRV a few times. I find it the best at drip and authenticity but it took away too much base guitar tone for me. I couldn't handle the hollowed out guitar tone and reverb splash (sample) that never changed key. Had a few where fender reissue reverb units that didn't do much for me either. I dearly miss my 1964 fender reverb unit that I foolishly sold.

The FRV, Topanga and reissues all have their quirks - finding one that works best for whoever using it is key. I had to tapanga before so I'm not sure how this time it'll be different but I'm gonna try different settings and mindset. I also thought about the Wampler Faux Reverb but chose the Topanga as it's a little bit closer to the reverb sound in my head. If I played surf it'd be reverb unit all the way.

Last edited: Jul 06, 2017 20:25:58

I thought it was ok until I ran it with isolated 18v. Now it's my my go-to reverb pedal. Running the Topanga at 9v will not do it any favors. I don't know if it's the one to beat but I'm sure not looking for a replacement.

Tangentor_7 wrote:

I tried every allowable voltage, by the way, and made test recordings. Depending on the whims of my tastes, I can't objectively say that 18v is BETTER than the others. I often prefer the minimum voltage, instead, because it strengthens that "input distortion" that really makes this pedal sound special in a mix.

I agree, after trying both 9V and 18V operation for extensive lengths of time, 9V sounds better to me in a mix setting for its added harmonic distortion. And I say that reluctantly after building an 18V charge pump specifically for the Topanga...

As far as the pedals go, the Topanga and the MXR come the closest to my ears right now. The Supernatural is decent and can often be found used for very little money.

Guess it's the matter if taste
Tried several pedals (topanga, spring theory, hooke reverb, faux reverb) and went out of the shop with Zoom MS-70. Just sounded better for me in Spring reverb mode plus a lot of other modulations as bonus)

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

New Single is out!

https://waikikimakaki.bandcamp.com/album/rhino-blues-full-contact-surf-single

Waikiki Makaki

https://linktr.ee/waikikimakaki

Lost Diver

https://lostdiver.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/vitaly-yakushin

In the least likely of places, I've found another great spring reverb alternative!

I purchased a Soundcraft Signature 10 mixer and some powered Yamaha DBR speakers for my hopeful return to solo acoustic / solo electric gigs. I do everything from Louis Jordan to Gene Vincent to Sam The Sham to Misfits Big Grin , so it wasn't sterile intelligibility that I was after, but rockin' personality.

I tested the Soundcraft's Ghost preamps and Sapphyre EQ with my Jaguar through my Tech 21 Blonde "amp" pedal, with its cab sim on, direct into the mixer - and was immediately loving the musical sound-sculpting capabilities of the EQ.

I recorded some tests of this (sweeping the mids, etc.) and finally started previewing the built-in Lexicon effects. Each of the effects has two knob-adjustable parameters, so you can dial in the right personality quite easily - and I had fun playing clean Jaguar through the plate reverb especially.

Lo and behold, one of the presets was called "Spring." I had expected little, and thought nothing of it, until (while recording) I turned the dial and heard a damned decent drip appear to reward each palm-muted pluck!

For the Spring setting, the two knobs control "Liveliness" and "Decay Time." While they do not correspond to our familiar reverb tank controls, the engineers at Soundcraft evidently had musical ears and made these knobs very useful for this effect. Messing around, I found I could make it sound like more or less Dwell and always with plenty of "drip." I was experimenting with some Malaguena and some Hava Nagila for many, many minutes of my test.

Played back in the car, my impressions were completely confirmed... while no match for my Gomez G-Spring, the Soundcraft Spring effect was utterly, instantly reminiscent of surf, and will be instantly recognizable should I when I unleash foamy fury on my unsuspecting 'solo acoustic' audience.

EDIT:

Would I consider leaving the G-Spring at home, then?

The G-Spring is luscious and I couldn't bear to have it broken, spilled upon, or stolen. However, it's not like I play it through a Dual Showman, with a band - it's just a solo acoustic gig, where the PA has to support the other styles & guitars I use.

So, while there is no comparison, I'd definitely try the gig with just the built-in mixer 'verb! It will let me surf more than I've have ever expected, with none of the worries about bringing the irreplaceable tank.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017 10:36:52

Samurai wrote:

Guess it's the matter if taste
Tried several pedals (topanga, spring theory, hooke reverb, faux reverb) and went out of the shop with Zoom MS-70. Just sounded better for me in Spring reverb mode plus a lot of other modulations as bonus)

My MS-70 on it's "63 Spring reverb" setting sounded a bit crap with my Vox Valvetronix amp, but sounds superb with my Quilter mini 101.

The Topanga is still my "go to" pedal for reverb.
In the past I have tried:
1. Boss FRV-1
2. Earthquaker Devices-Ghost Echo
3. Strymon-Flint
4. TC Electronic-HOF mini

Each of the above pedals are solid and offer good dimension to your sound, but in my opinion the Topanga gives me the dynamics and tone that I recall from a vintage Fender Reverb Unit.

https://kingpelican.bandcamp.com/

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017 15:19:04

Has anyone tried the BOSS RV-6?

All opinions expressed by this poster are well thought out and based on actual experience and/or scientific experimentation, except for those which are knee-jerk reactions or good sounding fantasies.

Odd no one mentions the EHX Grail in any of its avatars. Mike Matthews sent me one for free (ask me about it) and I;m digging it. It has a distinct personality that's more raw than the t.c. electronic Hall of Fame Mini I also use. That pedal does a selection of ambient reverbs but I am not fond of its more extreme voices. The Grail Nano EHX sent me behaves more like an old-fashioned reverb effect - it's very colorful and overt. In recent studio situations where I want a quick load-in I'm getting good results for surf music. Setting the Grail's sole knob about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up, "Spring" mode sounds pretty convincingly drippy and gnarly distorted; its many sonic artifacts give a good sense of a very lively spring at work. Playing at home alone I prefer real spring reverb, tho the Grail's on/off switch is handy. EHX did a good job on this pedal; one mix knob and a 3-position selector for Spring, Hall and Plate.

Squink Out!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next