SG101 on the Web

Follow SurfGuitar101 on Twitter

Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

bigtikidude: I am very Happy to announce that we are adding 2 bands to the Friday night of the Surf Guitar 101 Convention Line up. The Tequila Worms And Par Avion
51 days ago

dragonfly: You Jokesters put a smile on my face...thanks Linda xo
44 days ago

dragonfly: Awesome job on the Fuller Friday show BTD it will be epic...Sorry we can;t be there but wish all of you well...Knock em dead!!! Linda
44 days ago

dragonfly: Bigtikidude you da man for sure!!! Love ya...Linda
44 days ago

bigtikidude: My show on now, I will play the bands for the surf guitar 101 convention www.northsea...
41 days ago

james14000: Suuuuuuuuuuuuurf!!!!!!!!
38 days ago

bigtikidude: Since last Sunday was Easter, and some of you may have missed my Show playing the bands that will be at the SurfGuitar101 Convention. It will replay again this Sunday at 1 pm pacific time. Tune in at: www.northsea... Thank you
36 days ago

Emilien03: 101 days until SurfGuitar101 Convention #10 !!! Cool
32 days ago

Emilien03: REVERBIA // NORTH SEA SURF RADIO ALL NEW SHOW TODAY! TUNE IN AND ENJOY ... SUNDAY APRIL 30TH, 2017 8 AM (PDT)// 10 AM (CDT)// 5 PM (CEST) REVERBIA ... THE SACRED CITY WHERE INSTRUMENTAL SURF MUSIC LIVES!
27 days ago

Rideatriumph: Just got a 1963 dano pro after 15 years of not playing. Going to try surf rock and see how I like it.
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 2006-2017

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink SurfGuitar101 convention first timer advice thread

New Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Yes, it would be helpful to point to one place for promotional use in the future also.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

MadScientist wrote:

My best advice is kinda silly: make friends with some regulars and puppy dog them around. This is pretty much EXACTLY what I did my first couple of times.

THIS. Just walk up to folks and talk to them. 99% of the folks in this scene are super nice, so don't worry about it. The other 1% are just shy and not talking yet. Big Razz

They usually hand out name labels at the font desk at the convention so people can see usernames to match faces. If you see me or MadScientist, be sure to introduce yourself. We can show you the ropes!

And as BTD said above, plan enough time for traveling to the venues and such. In other words: never underestimate SoCal traffic! True fact: Ask any native SoCal resident how far away something is and we'll tell you in time, not miles. That's because even a short 14 miles in SoCal can be an hour long (or more) affair depending on time of day and such. So plan accordingly.

If you can make the Fender tour, or if there is a BBQ at someone's pad again this year, try to get to that as well. That's a perfect spot for introductions.

Specific recommendation: it's a little on the pricey side but I stayed one night at the Miyako Hybrid hotel. Barely experienced it since I was out at 7am the next morning, but it had a neat Japanese breakfast and wacky Japanese toilets. And most importantly it's like 5 blocks away. That distance matters if it's 3am in your normal timezone.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Last edited: May 22, 2017 15:48:08

Eddie of the El Caminos has stayed there before. He said it's very nice, and very expensive. And if you aren't there for long, maybe not the best choice. But if you plan on being here a few days before or after, it might be good then to expirience it then.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Yep, I just saw the prices today and thought "no way I paid that" but now that I remember I think my wife paid for it as most of the trip was an early birthday present. I'll probably be looking for something else for price reasons but it definitely was more unique than most hotels.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Looking forward to meeting everyone although I hope I don't get beat up. "when I was a freshman I was so obnoxious that the seniors used to beat me up once a week".

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

Goto Page: Previous 1 2
Top