Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink SurfGuitar101 convention first timer advice thread

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Yes, it would be helpful to point to one place for promotional use in the future also.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

MadScientist wrote:

My best advice is kinda silly: make friends with some regulars and puppy dog them around. This is pretty much EXACTLY what I did my first couple of times.

THIS. Just walk up to folks and talk to them. 99% of the folks in this scene are super nice, so don't worry about it. The other 1% are just shy and not talking yet. Big Razz

They usually hand out name labels at the font desk at the convention so people can see usernames to match faces. If you see me or MadScientist, be sure to introduce yourself. We can show you the ropes!

And as BTD said above, plan enough time for traveling to the venues and such. In other words: never underestimate SoCal traffic! True fact: Ask any native SoCal resident how far away something is and we'll tell you in time, not miles. That's because even a short 14 miles in SoCal can be an hour long (or more) affair depending on time of day and such. So plan accordingly.

If you can make the Fender tour, or if there is a BBQ at someone's pad again this year, try to get to that as well. That's a perfect spot for introductions.

Specific recommendation: it's a little on the pricey side but I stayed one night at the Miyako Hybrid hotel. Barely experienced it since I was out at 7am the next morning, but it had a neat Japanese breakfast and wacky Japanese toilets. And most importantly it's like 5 blocks away. That distance matters if it's 3am in your normal timezone.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Last edited: May 22, 2017 15:48:08

Eddie of the El Caminos has stayed there before. He said it's very nice, and very expensive. And if you aren't there for long, maybe not the best choice. But if you plan on being here a few days before or after, it might be good then to expirience it then.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Yep, I just saw the prices today and thought "no way I paid that" but now that I remember I think my wife paid for it as most of the trip was an early birthday present. I'll probably be looking for something else for price reasons but it definitely was more unique than most hotels.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Looking forward to meeting everyone although I hope I don't get beat up. "when I was a freshman I was so obnoxious that the seniors used to beat me up once a week".

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Is there a list of recommended hotels near the convention venue that exists? If not, can anyone recommend some hotels?

The Sun Rays -- The Sierra's Surf Band

This is from last year's thread...

Looking at places in close proximity to Alpine Village...
1. Cali-Inn, Carson: 1 Star, $94
2. Holiday Inn, Los Angeles Gateway: 3 Stars, $158
3. Redac Gateway Hotel, Torrance: 2 Stars, $150
4. Miyako Hybrid Hotel, Torrance: 3 Stars, $137
5. Motel 6, Carson: 2 Stars, $91
6. Double Tree Hilton, Carson: 3 Stars, $229
7. Extended Stay America, LA: 2 Stars, $108
8. Travelodge Inn And Suites, Gardena: 2 Stars, $85
9. Courtyard Marriot, LA: 3 Stars, $169
10. Super 8 Torrance, LA Airport Area: 2 Stars, $64
11. Travelodge Torrance, Redondo Beach: 2 Stars, $95
12. Courtyard Marriot LA: 3 Stars, $169

As you can see, there's a bit of everything, quality and price-wise. Keep in mind, the farthest of the above is still within a 10 min. car ride.

FWIW, if I had to decide, I would stay at the Super 8 Torrance LAX Airport Area on Sepulveda (2360 Sepulveda Blvd., Torrance 310-534-4900) because it's super cheap, simple, close by and actually offers quite a few amenities for the dough: breakfast, wi-fi, parking. Oh, and it's AAA rated, if that's important to you. It also looks like there are several places quite close to eat/drink: a Japanese Curry House, Starbucks, a bakery, a Korean BBQ, a Mexican joint, and even a 7-Eleven.

I've never stepped foot in this place, so don't hold it against me if it's a dump, but it sounds like a really good option.

9 mins to Alpine Village
20 mins to Purple Orchid
42 mins to Huntington Beach Pier
33 mins to Surf Dogs

Hope this helps a bit. Cheers

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Thanks Jonpaul!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

We stayed at least two times at the Super 8 Torrance LAX Airport Area, and it was perfectly fine.
GEFWIF - Good Enough For Who It's For.
This year I looked and the deal I could get through Hotels.com was better at the Torrance Travelodge. 2 Nights for a total of $206.54. It's right down the street at 2448 Sepulveda Blvd, Torrance, CA 90501.
I hope it's GEFWIF as well Smile

Ran

The Scimitars

If you're thinking of staying at Courtyard by Marriott the two in Torrance are about the same in terms of proximity to SG101. Both are close to restaurants and retail. The one at Western and I 405 has the advantage of being adjacent to the freeway but the rooms are relatively quiet. The other is at Crenshaw and Sepulveda which is further from the freeway but an easy surface street drive to Alpine Village. As for prices put on your deal making hat and check the online reservation websites that advertise on TV every 10 minutes: Trivago, Travelocity, Priceline. Check the hotels website as well but also call the hotel directly to see what they can offer you on price. Time well spent to save some money. Obviously a $25/day savings for a three day stay is a good thing. Hope this is helpful.

Happy Sunsets!

Bump

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2