SG101 on the Web

Follow SurfGuitar101 on Twitter

Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

Tqi: Synchro, I managed to squeeze the Axial's in. Still working on how to lay them out next to the pots though.
251 days ago

dragonfly: Being homebound I just downloaded SG101 2014 music and loving it. Hooray for downloads. Thanks to everyone responsible. HBISM retired coordinator 2014 Cool
181 days ago

dragonfly: Thanks whoever posted photo of the day with Dean Dick and yours truly. What an awesome day that was. Love to all the surf community!
178 days ago

DannySnyder: People often say "icy" is the easiest word to spell and looking at it now, I see why.
125 days ago

Emilien03: BAJA SURF STOMP!
110 days ago

Emilien03: https://www....
110 days ago

Tqi: Oy, Fender, Orange. One of you, make a 20W starved-plate valve bass amp. Like an Origin 20 with a big OT.
61 days ago

Remora: New member here saying hello
26 days ago

Clint: Ever try to explain “surf music” to friends? A Day at the Beach Podcast #150 can do this for you. It explains how it got started and ends with today’s modern bands and much more. Please share with those unaware… https://www....
17 days ago

synchro: Hello Remora.
6 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

51%

51%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Amp for bedroom use?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5

Delrin96mm wrote:

I bought a Vox Pathfinder 10 last weekend.

This is turning out to be a nifty little solution to two problems I have that often interfere with my practice routine: 1) Because of limited space in my house, having even my modest rig of guitar + small transistor amp + tremolo/reverb pedal set up permanently in a dedicated practice space just isn't possible. 2) I often find that at the end of a busy day doing my job plus household chores etc., I'm too tired to set up my stuff, play for an hour or so, and then put everything away again.

So I've now taken to setting up my guitar on a stand to the left of my work desk each morning, with the Pathfinder 10 on the windowsill to my right. This means that over the course of a working day, I'm putting in 60-90 minutes of practice time, divided up into small chunks of about 15 minutes each.

Although I naturally love my verb and trem, I'm finding that practising through an amp that has neither of these is really good for my playing. There are no effects to distract me, and having the Pathfinder almost at ear level means that any shortcomings in my technique are exposed mercilessly. And if I get fed up of playing dry, I play along to some of the tunes and songs I've been working on (the original recordings, not backing tracks), which - if I'm playing well and I balance the volume levels correctly - gives me a really nice double-tracked, wet-dry effect. Not a major step for mankind, I'm prepared to admit, but actually being able to play every day is a major relief for me. Life has a habit of getting in the way of things that are important to us, so it's nice to have found a way of outfoxing it a little on this particular front.

As a sidenote: I'm planning to buy a Vox AC10 next year, which will be my first ever valve amp. So having my little Pathfinder 10 next to me in the office is a nice incentive for me to keep working towards that.

yep, having a simple “plug and play” amp near your is pretty important for having more practice than plugging the stuff and fiddling with knobs) especially all the time you’ve got is some hour between putting your kids to bed and you sleeping time) great you’ve found a solution)

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

https://www.facebook.com/waikikimakaki/
https://soundcloud.com/waikiki-makaki

_Samurai wrote:

yep, having a simple “plug and play” amp near your is pretty important for having more practice than plugging the stuff and fiddling with knobs) especially all the time you’ve got is some hour between putting your kids to bed and you sleeping time) great you’ve found a solution)_

And another advantage of doing most of my practice dry through the Pathfinder 10 is that it makes my Orange Crush 35RT sound and feel like a boutique amp and my Strymon Flint seem like a massive pedalboard in comparison Smile

I'm not knocking the Pathfinder 10 when I say that. It does what it does really well, I like it a lot, and it's totally transformed my guitar practice routine in the week or so I've had it. But it's not in the same league as my Crush 35RT, just as my Crush 35RT isn't in the same league as a Vox AC15 or a Fender Princeton.

All joking aside, I'm finding that being able to make this kind of downward comparison is a really good antidote to the unrequited gassing of someone on a limited gear budget. We do seem to be living in a potentially never-ending golden age for gear, so we're constantly being bombarded with info about new things that always seem to be better and more desirable than the things we already have, and in many cases often ARE better and more desirable than the things we already have. So being able to say: "Alright, what you have isn't what you'd ideally like to have, but it's actually more than OK," has added a very welcome, unexpected other dimension to my practice time.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018 05:30:26

Delrin96mm wrote:

And another advantage of doing most of my practice dry through the Pathfinder 10 is that it makes my Orange Crush 35RT sound and feel like a boutique amp and my Strymon Flint seem like a massive pedalboard in comparison Smile I'm not knocking the Pathfinder 10 when I say that. It does what it does really well, I like it a lot, and it's totally transformed my guitar practice routine in the week or so I've had it. But it's not in the same league as my Crush 35RT...

Having made that grand statement, last night I put my Flint through the Pathfinder 10 for the first time and was astounded at how fantastic the two sounded together - much, much better than the Flint + my Orange amp. Even though the Orange is a much "better" amp in terms of build quality and speaker etc., with the Pathfinder 10 + Flint, I'm suddenly 100 miles closer to the kind of tone I want for surf/1960s music. It's confirmed for me that the Vox sound is what I need and that an AC10 is going to my first valve amp - hopefully in spring 2019, if my saving goes to plan.

In my last post I also talked rather pompously about being satisfied with what you've got, and yet here I am a few days later, drooling over the prospect of a Vox AC10 and having asked my family for an EHX Oceans 11 for Christmas. What an about turn - I should've gone into politics! Smile

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5