Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink MY FOOT HURTS!!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

After enjoying a fairly solid last three days of surf here in Oceanside. I came home from the beach yesterday and by late afternoon my right foot was on fire. So, I look at the bottom of it and see a huge red spot with a small white dot just off center. I figure I stepped in some glass or got a something stuck in my foot. Nope, nothing there. But I got a huge re-action to digging at it and putting on alcohol. Today my foot looks like a stuffed sausage. Puffy and burning. Thankfully no radiating lines from the main area of pain.

Now I think I have either stepped on a dead Jelly fish. But no barbs.
It could be a bee stinger since it seems that all the bees in Southern California are in my backyard right now. They aren't afraid of my cell phone no matter how many calls I make.

Oh well, soaking it in Epsom Salts and aspirin seem to keep it at bay for now.
Just thought I would rant since the surf is looking good again today and the water has warmed up a bit.

_RT

I do believe the hospital is a great place for something like this. They'll really fix you up quite well.

Agree

ditto. don't screw around with infections. You need to kill it completely with anti-biotics.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I'd be more concerned with allergenic reaction than infection.

Yep. It was a bee stinger.
Which is a pretty sucky thing for me. A few years back I was racing bicycles and got stung 6 times in one year while on training rides.

Did you know that the more you get stung by bees, the stings actually become more fatal over time as your bodies will re-act more violently instead growing a immunity.

Also there is a hormone that gets triggered when stung that sends out a scent that actually attracts more bees.

Just some fun facts while I am on downtime.

_Redd

our water has warmed up so no more wetsuits. i love summer. we've got a decent size swell here today but the waves are a bit on the weird side.

www.surfintheeye.com

Yo Redd, I had a similar experience with a sea urchin. I was scuba diving near Panama City FL in 1968 and accidently kicked a sea urchin with the outside of my right heel. Of course the spine broke off in my heel which is an impossible place to get to yourself. I went through the same crap and after a while the swelling went down and it finally ceased to bother me. Almost thirty years later, and without any warning, it flared up again. I started scratching away on the spot and after several days, plop, out it came, a piece of sea urchin spine about 1/8" dia and bout 1/4" long. The spot healed right up just like nothing ever happened......ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

eddiekatcher
Yo Redd, I had a similar experience with a sea urchin. I was scuba diving near Panama City FL in 1968 and accidently kicked a sea urchin with the outside of my right heel. Of course the spine broke off in my heel which is an impossible place to get to yourself. I went through the same crap and after a while the swelling went down and it finally ceased to bother me. Almost thirty years later, and without any warning, it flared up again. I started scratching away on the spot and after several days, plop, out it came, a piece of sea urchin spine about 1/8" dia and bout 1/4" long. The spot healed right up just like nothing ever happened......ed

I had funky thing like that happen while I was in Guam. Except I got a piece of coral embedded into my heel of my right foot. I had developed what looked like a blackhead on the bottom of my foot. So one day I squeezed on it and beautiful white piece of coral about the size of a pencil eraser popped out.

There were all sorts of dangers in the water in Guam. But I gotta say the surf there was as top shelf as any other tropical hard hitter out there. Plus when I was there almost 20 years ago, the crowds were pretty much none- existent. The water was like glass. I sorta miss the islands, but I think I wouldn't enjoy them as much now being settled down and all.

_RT

momsurfing_
our water has warmed up so no more wetsuits. i love summer. we've got a decent size swell here today but the waves are a bit on the weird side.

The tides has been making things a bit wonkey here. Plus the wind comes up quick. Hopefully this will be a foreshadow to a great summer to come. Last two summers have been depressing surf wise.

_RT

Last summer I was playing slip n' slide softball (where home plate is a slip n' slide and you have to score head first) with a bunch of friends. All of us were barefoot and I think there was some sort of bee convention going on at the field we were playing on. Everybody stepped on a good handful of bees, and I was a lucky one to get only one sting on the underside of my foot. That hurt plenty, but I kept on playing. Then at one point I stepped on some sharp twig and cut that same foot open. That hurt plenty more. It sucked.

This brings up an important and entirely unrelated point: Slip n' slide softball is way way fun. I highly recommend it, despite the bee-related dangers.

Stir the Pot redd----hey dude--down on the gulf coast, we got a little sweetheart called the fireant. not the little native ones but the horror imported from hell back in the last century. one morningafter some great skimboarding, we were shaking our towels out and mr cool here walked over to the landscaping at the motel cuz i thought it could use a little more sand. ten seconds of towel shaking and my legs were on fire!! i looked down and saw i was standing on top of a fireant mound and the little fuckers came out in force. i started screaming and slapping at my legs with the towel and then dancing all over the parking lot! my kids were laughing lkie hell, my wife was "what are you doing this time?" and i'm in pain!!! oh shit! after a minute or two i had knocked em off of me and then the stings started turning red. pain dude. pain. slept all afternoon and nite and thenwent back to the beach the next morning. turned out to be about 300 stings by my wife's count. am very careful where i shake my towel out these days!! peace

Can you please watch the language?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Embarassed yes

I got a thistle in my foot when I was a teenager, and my Mom said "just let it fester and it'll come out on it's own".

Well, it didn't, and after about a week I could barely walk so I finally dug it out with an X-Acto knife.

Instant relief! Thumbs Up

I've got something in my right index finger right now, probably a little piece of metal 'cause I've been filing Sad

Oh yeah, I had one of those fire ant experiences about 15 years ago in Raymond, Mississippi. I was down there on business but was staying through the weekend at an employee's home to meet my girl friend at the time. My plan was to propose to her that weekend. My employee/friend and I were outside working on his truck and of course, like an idiot, I was standing there barefooted. I started feeling the stinging and looked down to see both my feet covered with fire ants. We got the brushed off, got inside and immediately started having an allergic reaction to the stings. Thankfully, my friend had the necessary medication to reverse my reaction but it left my feet badly swollen and sore.

My girlfriend arrived later that day and that night, I crammed my swollen feet into dress shoes and took her out with my friends to an absolutely fabulous restaurant overlooking the Mississippi River in Vicksburg. Later that evening, I got down on my knees and asked her to marry me. God bless her for saying yes cause she was and is the best thing that ever happened to me.

Of course somewhere down that "best" list is getting my first Fender Showman!!! Laughing

Ron (ToneBoy)
The Mariners (1964 to Present) www.myspace.com/themarinersfirstwave
Lonzo & Oscar (1999 to Present) www.lonzoandoscar.net
www.myspace.com/lonzoandoscarcomedy
Billy Henson & Summerstorm (2001 to Present)

Cool stories.
Suck that they had tears, cursing or swelling involved.
But none the less, cool stories.

It is amazing how the smallest of creatures can take us down.

_RT

Once when I was a kid I was walking around in the woods behind our house and stepped right on a wasp nest. (Who ever heard of a wasps building a nest on the ground?) Needless to say, it was not a happy experience. For me or the wasps.

well this was my sister not me, but still painful to look at , let alone for it to happen to someone.
She was making a puffer fish with a brown sock and toothpicks.
She dropped the box of toothpicks, and missed one while picking them up.
She was walking around barefoot and stepped on it.
It went in her heel and broke off. My dad tried to pick it out with tweezers but she was freaking out to much.
He took her to the ER room.
They couldn't find it, they did a x-ray and it couldn't be seen that way as the
wood soaked up the fluid in the foot and it looked like flesh to the x-ray camera. They had to poke around till she screamed, then they grabbed it and pulled it out.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

That's gnarly. Both Stories.

Today, I cut the top of my foot with fins on my surfboard when I tried to get into a wave way too late. I think my right foot has something against me.

On a brighter note. About 4 dolphins hung out in the line up with us today for a good 1/2 hour. ALmost close enough to touch. It is never a bad day if you can get into the water.

RT

How could I forget this story?...it even ties in with surf music.
A few years ago when I was just getting into surf music I received the Dick Dale "Better Shred Than Dead" cd in the mail, and I was having an abnormally difficult time getting all the plastic off of it. For whatever reason I thought the whole process would be better facilitated by the use of a needle. I got a needle, opened up the cd and then went off to listen to it, leaving the needle on the coffee table in the living room.
A little while later my dad showed up and I wanted to show off the cool cd I got, and so walked over toward the coffee table where the jewel case was. As I walked up to it I did this weird thing where I just kinda kicked at the ground as I walked. I have no idea why, it's not some type of habit or anything. I just happened to kick at the ground for no reason, right where that needle had apparently fallen to the floor. I had completely forgotten about the thing, so when all of a sudden my foot started hurting (not too much, surprisingly) I thought it might be a staple or a foxtail or something kinda minor. So I sat down right there on the couch and tried to pull it out through my sock. Then it hurt like hell. I felt that the thing was solid and didn't budge in my foot and then I remembered what it was. I really slowly and really gently pulled my sock off around it and before I could get a look my dad said "don't even look at it." That scared me pretty bad, so naturally I looked, and saw there was only about a quarter inch of this two inch needle sticking out of my foot. It obviously wasn't about to come out with my bare hands so my dad had to pull it out with some pliers. There was blood all over it, and the thing was bent a good thirty degrees. The reason I couldn't make it move was that it went into my foot, stuck into the bone, and then bent. Shocked It was pretty rough.
I still have that needle. It's hardcore.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next