Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Finding Band Members (Rant)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

im stating to have my own problems now, i had a bass and drums. now the drummer flaked and the bass now says he wants to be the guitar player. i am the guitar player. so now i have to find a drummer and bass player

Cheer up!

“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.”

Wherever you go, there you are

http://rogerfowles.co.uk/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKUsTNis44w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKauwombaC8

SHADOWNIGHT5150 wrote:

im stating to have my own problems now, i had a bass and drums. now the drummer flaked and the bass now says he wants to be the guitar player. i am the guitar player. so now i have to find a drummer and bass player

That doesn't sound like too bad of a problem..well the drummer maybe. It seems drummers...good drummers...are a hot commodity in any town. But your bassist wants to play guitar? You do realize most of the classic surf bands had two, sometimes three guitarists, right? Songs like 'Moving Target'(first thing that came to mind)sounds ballsy as hell because of the rhythm guitarist doing his thing under Jon Blair's lead stuff. Problem solved! Unless he's looking to be a lead guy...then it may be a problem for you.

Anyway. See if you can work out some cool stuff with your bassist playing guitar? And best of luck on a drummer. But hey, speaking as a drummer who CAME FROM A METAL BAND previously, you may find a really kick ass drummer in a different scene, who may want to expand his or her horizons and try something new. Smile

Gear:Kit:Pearl Reference series in Emerald Fade,Pearl rack,Pearl Demon Drive pedals,Tama Iron Cobra hi-hat stand, Sabian & UFiP cymbals.

I just started back from scratch

Found a guitar friend who wants to play bass and a drummer who wants to play

Stevel wrote:

"What happens when you show up, with your part down, that may have taken you 6 hours to figure out, then an hour or more a night practicing to get it under your fingers, but the bass player doesn't know the changes? Or the rhythm guitarist hasn't even learned it?"

Sounds depressingly familiar . . .
However, it occurred to me that online collaboration via the magic of the internet and free recording software could be a creative outlet for budding surf guitarists.
Pretty sure this subject must have been brought up before, I, for one, would like to give it a try with like-minded individuals in my situation . . . would be surf guitar hobbyists without any formal training on the wrong side of 60!
Surf guitar for two, anyone?

"What happens when you show up, with your part down, that may have taken you 6 hours to figure out, then an hour or more a night practicing to get it under your fingers, but the bass player doesn't know the changes? Or the rhythm guitarist hasn't even learned it?"

Also, when this happens what is everyone's reaction? Are you offering to help people learn the parts? If you aren't, you would be surprised at what offering will do.

I don't offer free music lessons

Good luck finding a band!

In a professional setting you better have your part down when you go to a practice. If they have to wait on you to figure out your part that could of been learned at home then obviously you are not that serious about it and they will find someone who is

Finding musician's for surf is extremely hard. Took me many years to find band members. Getting someone interested in surf is a HARD SELL and I truly sympathize. Here's what I learned:

You have to be patient and supportive or you will lose band mates. You have to enthusiastically offer help. You have to take the lead and pace the band. Guide them through the surf style and your vision but let them bring some of their personality to their approach. Give them free guitar lessons, with non-condescending respect of course. If they refuse your help... then you consider getting rid of them! Eventually it'll start sounding better and better and will be funner and funner and every new song you try will be easier and easier.

I agree it is frustrating when you put in way more work than the others before a practice but you can't expect a professional setting with a newly formed surf band. YOU want a surf band, not them (at least not yet!). Sometimes you have to waste time at band practice showing someone chord changes and that's ok. If you are positive about helping out it will go a long way.

I'd start with just finding ONE person (so lead + bass or rhythm guitar) and jamming for a while. Learn some songs and solidify the "surfness" of the band. Let the other choose some surf songs to cover. Then add a drummer and jam for a while. Then the other bass/guitar. You'll always be adding someone to something established forcing them to catch up a bit and learn a fair amount of material. To show up to practice not knowing your parts is one thing... to show up to practice and being the ONLY one who doesn't know his parts is something else.

Punk musicians are surf musicians in training.

Good luck!

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

Excellent post, el_camello. That should be made into a sticky. Thumbs Up

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016 14:43:48

I often wonder why those that are looking to join or start a band don't include their location in their profile. Even saying you live in SoCal is useless since that could be Northridge, Whittier, Riverside or Dana Point.

Happy Sunsets!

el_camello wrote:

Punk musicians are surf musicians in training.

Good luck!

Great post all the way around El Camello!!I wanted to highlight that last part because, oddly enough, there is some truth to that statement. The guy who founded my band had a background in Punk, Hardcore and Ska before settling on surf. When I joined the band, I was just coming off of a few years playing with an extreme metal band. A buddy of mine from California plays some damn good surf music, loves it and is influenced by it, but otherwise his "day job" musically speaking is face melting thrash and death metal. You'll find interested musicians in a few different genres, if you really look hard enough. You just have to go outside of whatever your comfort zone I suppose. Smile

Gear:Kit:Pearl Reference series in Emerald Fade,Pearl rack,Pearl Demon Drive pedals,Tama Iron Cobra hi-hat stand, Sabian & UFiP cymbals.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016 19:03:56

And to further my last post, you can't watch the guys in Daikaiju and tell me that they HAVE NOT played metal at some point in their lives. Some of their riffs have a metal edge to them, for sure.

I'm starting a surf band with country and classic rock guys

Worked for the Blue Stingrays...

SHADOWNIGHT5150 wrote:

I'm starting a surf band with country and classic rock guys

There you go! You'll probably have yourself a good, solid base to work off of then.

Wait, the 3rd chord in Louie Louie is Minor???!!!

Sean

Frankly, I wish I had one or two other folks to jam with, even if they were a pain in the ass most days. At least it would be something to work with.

Sean

CaptainSensible wrote:

Frankly, I wish I had one or two other folks to jam with, even if they were a pain in the ass most days. At least it would be something to work with.

i have no one where i live to play with either, just a few friends that come into town every now and then

www.surfintheeye.com

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next