Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink Why no female guitarists in surf?

LockNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

I have a friend in a fairly successful touring band and she constantly gets asked if she is a girlfriend of the band and people constantly trying to explain gear to her.

Nobody's ever asked Catherine Gray of the Space Cossacks anything like that. Smile

It seems obvious that the right answer is: none of us know. But you all keep on having a lot of fun speculating! Twisted Evil

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP wrote:
It seems obvious the right answer is : none of us know.

Perhaps that's because we are men?

Wherever you go, there you are

http://rogerfowles.co.uk/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKUsTNis44w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKauwombaC8

DannySnyder wrote:

simoncoil wrote:

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade and of course everybody is free to design their record sleeves and live performances in the way they want. But maybe we have to decide if we want girls in bikinis or girls with guitars...

I think you're onto something Simon. I wonder if that whole aesthetic (including gogo girls) is part of what keeps the genre from being accepted as current and viable.

One could counter this with; why the rise of burlesque in the past few years (in the UK anyway)? But then again, burlesque nights are usually female controlled environments, so they are doing it for their own enjoyment.

I think one of the posts above regarding women in rock n roll in general is closest to the point. And there is the case for environment. My niece is starting ukulele because I play guitar, and she will listen to surf because I make her!

My sisters and wife last year at Surfer Joe preferred the more "dancey" surf bands.

And the pretty long hair of Los Coronas...

As a female who actually does like surf music it does sometimes feel like if you're a woman that wants to be in a surf band you're only allowed to play bass and have to wear a leopard skin bikini. It's not exactly encouraging.

My feeling is that overall in the music industry, not just surf, women don't seem to be taken seriously unless they're singers. Female guitarists/musicians aren't respected, even though there are some amazing ones out there. So that cuts out the instro surf genre all together.

A friend mentioned the other day that her management were scoping out a festival for her, but the festival wasn't sure because "there's another chick on the bill that also plays piano". She was wondering if they also applied that criteria to the bands on the bill with male guitarists?

Overall I've found the people in the surf genre are extremely inclusive and would welcome more women in if they tried. But it does seem like a closed shop from the outside.

It would help to get more recognition from the industry. Maybe if SG101 and Surfer Joe (and other surf festivals) made an effort to book some female led bands it might make a difference?

Clarry wrote:

One could counter this with; why the rise of burlesque in the past few years (in the UK anyway)? But then again, burlesque nights are usually female controlled environments, so they are doing it for their own enjoyment.

I think you missed my point, which is that by most casual observers surf music is considered an entirely retro genre. Burlesque is also a retro style but I'd guess they don't have modern dancers trying to push the boundaries of the form to transcend the campiness - but I could be wrong Smile

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I think it could really create a lot anxiety for a woman to go into a situation like joining a band and win the alpha position in a band. Like some of the previous posts, guys aren't going to care what they look like when they audition. Surf seems to a lot more inclusive, compared to metal though.

http://thehardtimes.net/2016/07/15/member-band-female-notes-flyer/
This 'article' is really good

I wish there was a simple answer because then there could be a simple solution. I feel most of my thoughts have been expressed above. I'd say the whole history of rock guitar has had a "guy perform"/"girl swoons" kind of thing going on. The culture is changing but it's really hard to undo so much so quick. I can't imagine how annoying being a girl in a band and being treated like a token is (like the "piano chick" was treated).

Would love to here more from other girls.

I'm tempted to say that surf, having less of a commercial aspect to it, may be in a better position to have girls playing lead. It's rare I find to see a band with a girl in it that isn't marketing the girl above the music and with surf music you probably don't have quite the same level of marketing campaigns as you would with other styles. That being said... surf does have the whole "leopard skin bikini" thing going which can be polarizing... I say polarizing instead of downright discouraging because burlesque made a big comeback where I live with friends saying it was empowering and creative (pushing the boundaries of the retroness!) to perform and really got into the whole aesthetic of it so that angle might be inviting to some girls.

-Pierre
The Obsidians! (Ottawa surf)
The Obsidians debut EP

On Topic- The thread is about why so few female guitarist, not why no female surf musicians. When you add bass players, keyboardists, drummers, the percentage goes up a couple points. It's a big question; hopefully improving. Unfortunately, my daughter hates surf music, too much time in the reverb Skinner box.

Off topic- I think the solution to the off putting Go-Go Girl phenom is to have male dancers onstage as well. Might remind the boys club to move their asses a little. I believe surf music was intended to be dance music, not stand with your arms folded across your chest music Smile

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

ON TOPIC - The same is true for jazz - sometimes we come home from the weekend (5 concerts!) of the Monterey Jazz festival and the only females we have seen on stage are in the high school bands. The few lady jazz musicians that one sees are most often on vocals or piano.

When I was a kid, most girls took piano lessons. I knew ONE girl in college who played guitar - cannot remember any others. Hope that has changed.

OFF TOPIC - I will agree that I am turned off by Go-Go girls - for one thing, they are often standing in the way while I am trying to watch the musicians. Actually the old ones kind of please me - glad to see the geriatric set represent! But most sexy lady stuff at a surf show bugs me, gotta admit...

I've spent most of my life hanging out with guys to do what I love - being a math major in college, working in Silicon Valley in software, doing radio, being a surf music fan. Maybe I'm just wired that way. No idea why so few women are surf fans....

It is sad to see women pushed out of the soloist spotlight in American music. It seems the Japanese do not have that problem as they can draw on the geisha tradition of awesome female instro performance.

Squink Out!

La luz!!!
A great surf group with only girls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9KCYdJ3yeQ

I know the goal isn't to make a list, but I did not see her cited while she was the first coming to my mind. Or maybe I missed it ? Anyway Yolanda from Los Twang Marvels !

Yannick

Lead Guitar in Blackball Bandits : https://blackballbandits.bandcamp.com/
Solo project : https://thechollasurf.bandcamp.com/releases

Of course! There's a great full TV gig of there's on youtube.

It's about the same as all rock & roll. There are some, though not large numbers, and they get widely ignored, to their considerable annoyance and depression. Women tend to be channeled into subordinate roles unless the band is all women, and even then management (if any) tends to be male. Women are more common as bassists and drummers than guitarists or keyboardists. The leopardskin bikini syndrome is fairly common, though to be honest there's a degree of that sort of thing applied to men, too. If you want things to change, notice the exceptions and encourage them.

While this is instrumental guitar and not specifically surf - found this in my inbox today ... If she had a surf group going she could rake in gobs of bucks ...right?

17 years old ... Needs coaching ... Right!

https://youtu.be/o6rBK0BqL2w

Don't Fear the Reverb ! Grateful Surf ! SURFIN' Tiki Bandits !
I can be reached through the following or at don@donschott.com. :

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016 11:33:45

Mary O and the Pink Flamingos is a band from Brazil with a lead guitar player/singer that puts a great live show. More on the Link Wray side of things, but lots of surf influences. Still have to do proper recordings, but you can get an idea from their bandcamp.

There is also an all girl band called As Aventuras down here, but I believe they play mostly covers. Never saw them live, but there are some youtube videos.

Orestes Prezza also had a female guitar player that would do some leads.

And, of course, we have a lot of girls on bass, drums and keyboards down here.

I was talking about this whole go go girl thing with my with this week. Sometimes I think it is cool that some of them are not girls that follow beauty standards, but sometimes I fell like this gets women only in a decorative role in the band. And I think there can be less appeal to the whole female crowd for the band.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016 20:27:35

DoNtFearTheReverbBass wrote:

While this is instrumental guitar and not specifically surf - found this in my inbox today ... If she had a surf group going she could rake in gobs of bucks ...right?

Tomorrow I'll burn my guitar... on the barbecue... in the garden. I now see I have no business in music.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016 11:30:45

Gilette wrote:

DoNtFearTheReverbBass wrote:

Tomorrow I'll burn my guitar... on the barbecue... in the garden. I now see I have no business in music.

Frank :
Please don't burn your guitar on the barbi-- though no amount of time forward (or backwards for that matter) would put me in a position to look as lovely as this young lass ... I tend to get better the more time I spend practicing and playing on the instrument . Time well spent.

She does burn the guitar without a barbi though doesn't she.
I started noticing these like her and Orianthi several years ago on u toob. Some especially great bands could be formed by hand picking players from u Toob. Weird thing is I keep getting older and they just keep getting younger. Look up nine year old (name the instrument) - prodigy sells (mostly in classical music though - pop industry still wants pap)
Plenty of young jazzers and metal chicks burning but they have not caught the surf bug yet. Let's Manage girl surf bands!

Don't Fear the Reverb ! Grateful Surf ! SURFIN' Tiki Bandits !
I can be reached through the following or at don@donschott.com. :

www.donschott.com
www.eyerecords.com
www.dontfearreverb.com
www.kokopellistages.com

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016 15:46:22

There ARE a lot of girls who surf. Maybe they are the ones we need to reach out to. There was a surfer named Daize Shayne who appeared in some Carvin ads a few years back in the guitar magazines. But I don't think she was a surf guitarist, more a champion surfer who played guitar.

All opinions expressed by this poster are well thought out and based on actual experience and/or scientific experimentation, except for those which are knee-jerk reactions or good sounding fantasies.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next