Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Favorite surf guitar

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 865 66 Next

My Fav is always the one I don't have yet. Laughing

I love Strats. There I said it.
Some of my Favorite Guitarist from many genres played strats ,as did alot of my most un-favorite. Wink

I really dig the Jazzmaster, even though I don't own one (I'm working on fixing that.) the JM pickups just have that big huge sound I dig the most.

The Thunderchiefs

A lot of jazz guys don't really use any effects at all. Just plug and play

Ran,
I know I've finally got you to break down this wall and addmit this in person. Now to see it in print in the forum is cool.
That someone may be a good guitar player but not your cup of tea, (or rum). Where before you would just say oh that's CRAP!!
Made it very frustrating to talk music with you, in the past.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

kickthe_reverb_
Hey hey, never take my posts regarding to personal taste too seriously...and I'm far from being very concerned about "vintage incorrect". You can re-read the long post I had a few pages ago about how I admit that you proved that many of the (or my) guitar heroes used strats.
You might have a much broader tastse then me, as does my good friend BigTikiDude (as does my wife ). I tend to be more narrow minded, and I'm aware of it.
I'm the first to admit someone is a good player. In fact, most musicians I see are good players, but that doesn't mean I like what they write or their style. Even if they are influenced by someone I like (e.g. The Shadows).

Jeff(bigtikidude)

krupanut
My Fav is always the one I don't have yet.

that's funny!...that's exactly what I was thinking!

-dp

I only have experience with an AVRI Jag and a Strat, and I'm hardly qualified to answer such a question. My favorite surf guitar varies wildly depending on what I am listening to at the time. Right now, I am totally digging the raw Mosrite sound of Mike on the new Nebulas disc.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

PolloGuitar
I am tring to think of a guitarist that DOESN'T use an effect. Reverb, echo, tremelo are all effects. Hmmm... maybe Richie Podolar who reportedly plugged his guitar into the sound board
fd

The only guitarist I can think of who I've seen live not using any effects would be Deke Dickerson - last I saw him, he plugged his guitar (alternating between the doubleneck Mosrite and a P-90-loaded Les Paul) into what looked like an old Silvertone amp, bone dry.

The Disasternauts

Brian
I only have experience with an AVRI Jag and a Strat, and I'm hardly qualified to answer such a question. My favorite surf guitar varies wildly depending on what I am listening to at the time. Right now, I am totally digging the raw Mosrite sound of Mike on the new Nebulas disc.

I'm surprised there aren't more votes for the Mosrite. It does sound sweet paired up with a Showman. I also dig the tone on the Ghastly Ones Haunting we will Go Go.

Too bad they're so friggin' expensive though. Sad

-Paul

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

cavefishbutchdelux

PolloGuitar
I am tring to think of a guitarist that DOESN'T use an effect. Reverb, echo, tremelo are all effects. Hmmm... maybe Richie Podolar who reportedly plugged his guitar into the sound board
fd

The only guitarist I can think of who I've seen live not using any effects would be Deke Dickerson - last I saw him, he plugged his guitar (alternating between the doubleneck Mosrite and a P-90-loaded Les Paul) into what looked like an old Silvertone amp, bone dry.

Dekes playing through one of his many Standel amps right now.
I think it's a 58 Piggy back.
Deke usually has an echo with him. Either one of his Echo-phonic units, an old real to real or lately I've seen him out with a Dan-echo for back up.
Those old tape units bit the dust allot.

I see allot of guitarist here in Austin that plug straight in.
Dave "Leroy" Biller, Bobby Horton, Nick Curran.
Of course if they were playing surf, they would be using reverb or echo.

These guys are just great players who use effects for the right situations and not to hide behind.

I told Deke he needs to log on here when I saw him last weekend.

The Thunderchiefs

cavefishbutchdelux

PolloGuitar
fd

I was too young to catch any of the Untamed Youth stuff, but I think Deke sounded pretty good on his Jaguar. I think he gets asked a lot of gear questions, but he did tell me that the first album was all the Jaguar, which sounded good to me.

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

Nope, Deke definitely wasn't playing through an echo unit of any kind when I saw him...the tone was bone dry. It may have been a Standel piggback Standel, but, cosmetically speaking, it looked like an old Silvertone twin-12. Still sounded great though - in addition to the rockabilly/country stuff he also did "Bumble Twist," El Cumbanchero," and "Diamond Head," so there was surf to be heard (of sorts).

I came onto the UY wagon too late myself, but the Jaguar tone is killer. Even the 335 he played later on sounded great - I read somewhere that the pups were rewound as single-coils (?) to make it sound more Gretschy but "with balls" (his words, that much I remember).

Super cool guy, I wish he would post on here...well, that and come back to F-L-A.

The Disasternauts

Yeah the first piggyback Standels look alot like the Silvertone twins, or I guess I should say the Silvertones look like the Standels.
I wish I could find a pic of one for ya.
I'm sure it was the Standel, he was in Austin not too long ago with it.
But then Dekes such a greahead, theres no telling what he's gonna show up with! Wink

cavefishbutchdelux
Nope, Deke definitely wasn't playing through an echo unit of any kind when I saw him...the tone was bone dry. It may have been a Standel piggback Standel, but, cosmetically speaking, it looked like an old Silvertone twin-12. Still sounded great though - in addition to the rockabilly/country stuff he also did "Bumble Twist," El Cumbanchero," and "Diamond Head," so there was surf to be heard (of sorts).

I came onto the UY wagon too late myself, but the Jaguar tone is killer. Even the 335 he played later on sounded great - I read somewhere that the pups were rewound as single-coils (?) to make it sound more Gretschy but "with balls" (his words, that much I remember).

Super cool guy, I wish he would post on here...well, that and come back to F-L-A.

The Thunderchiefs

If you gots to have a Mosrite, save up your shekels, because this is what you want: '63 Mosrite - Ventures Model

I saw this today, and I didn't dare play it! Sad New 'Verb member Mike B. works at this store, he says it's a dream to play, and that it's a good thing it's outta his price range too. Razz I spent the whole drive home totalling up in my mind what I could part with to gather up some coin..... "nope, not enough yet..... nope, still not enough.....". You get the idea. Very Happy

unlunf

MY RIGHT HAND IS FASTER THAN YOURS!
(copyright 2003, Bruce Welch)

unlunf
If you gots to have a Mosrite, save up your shekels, because this is what you want: '63 Mosrite - Ventures Model

I saw this today, and I didn't dare play it! Sad New 'Verb member Mike B. works at this store, he says it's a dream to play, and that it's a good thing it's outta his price range too. Razz I spent the whole drive home totalling up in my mind what I could part with to gather up some coin..... "nope, not enough yet..... nope, still not enough.....". You get the idea. Very Happy

unlunf

If I had the money to get that guitar I would play it every gig, put stickers all over it, and carry it in a gig bag.

pluto,> .....

If I had the money to get that guitar I would play it every gig, put stickers all over it, and carry it in a gig bag.

And it would be safe from being ripped off, too! Surprised Good plan.

unlunf

MY RIGHT HAND IS FASTER THAN YOURS!
(copyright 2003, Bruce Welch)

i'd cream my shorts over that Mosrite.

WaimeaBay
i'd cream my shorts over that Mosrite.

Too late.... Shocked Drool Ka-Ching!!! OMG

~B~

Very Happy being a dd fan longer than most of yall have been alive and listening to the surf music longer than most of yall has been alive i am just a strat guy at heart. there are wonderful things about the jag, the jm the mosriteand a couple of dozen other guitars. all have their bad points and good points. and a few are crap but that is why they get used. the perfect surf guitar does not exist---it is a dream--an ideal--a i wish it was but that is what we all strive for. follow your path you might discover something cool or new or retro. ok? but for me the strat is the one. and i really cannot afford multiple guitars. too much ignored by the money gods.....yes money sucks.

Jazzmaster for me. Nothing else even comes close except maybe a Jaguar.

This one's a '65.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Last edited: Sep 04, 2008 09:23:55

Yamaha SGV's rule!

Awesome trem, boss looks ( I like mine offset the opposite way, ala mosrite vs jag), good PUs.

I like the fact that nobody else seems to have them too.

I vote for the Mosrite for several reasons. First and foremost, I think it has the best and most unique tone of all the mentioned guitars. Secondly, for me it is the most comfortable to play: the neck is simply superb. Last but not least, I find the tremolo superior to any of the Fenders.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 865 66 Next