Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Favorite surf guitar

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 250 51 52 53 5465 66 Next

Agreed, but I think the upper rotary controls allow you to sweep between HB and single coil.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

GregEL wrote:

When I got my lacquer Jazzmaster I had a really tough time deciding between it and the Jaguar, really wanted both but at the time only wanted to pay for one.

The ultimate decision came down to color. Love the surf green (Jazz) hate fiesta red (Jag). Shallow I know but I figured either way I would get a great guitar, both suitable for surf.

My VM Jag is white with tort guard, put a staytrem bridge on both guitars. Like 'em both, the Squier Jag is noticeably heavier. Other than that I have no complaints.

My lacquer is now my number one with my VM Jag and Strat are an alternating number two.

Wish Fender made the lacquer Jaguar in a sunburst.

Hi Greg, that doesn't sound shallow at all. I just bought a new Classic Player Jaguar instead of a 60's lacquer Jaguar simply because I like the Candy Apple Red so much better than the Fiesta Red. I am going to add Fender vintage pickups and some .12 gauge strings ASAP.

I realize the purist will frown upon my decision as the 60's Jag is much closer to the original, but I just couldn't get past that Fiesta Red. Do you guys agree they need to add other color options? Anyway, my guitar should arrive tomorrow, so I will make a NGD thread! Guitar

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale. New videos uploaded

My Jazzmaster is fun, but I'd rather play surf music on my Danelectro 6SB!

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

Now I can finally answer this question! My friends, I present Papa Surf.image

JCStilley wrote:

Now I can finally answer this question! My friends, I present Papa Surf.image

JCStilley wrote:

JCStilley wrote:

Now I can finally answer this question! My friends, I present to you Papa Surf.

What a cool thread! Very entertaining, and it's been going for a decade! lol. Wow. Im pretty new to this forum, so I thought I'd join in, for what it's worth...
I'm fairly new to "surf" guitar, and coming from hollow body rockabilly taste, I thought it might be fun to have a Jazzmaster with a Bigsby, since that's the vibrato system I'm more used to. So I bought a dirt cheap Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster Special (hard tail), and I customized it into a really cool feeling/playing/sounding surf guitar. I realize it's a bastard stepchild to vintage Jazzmaster aficionados, but I LOVE it.
The original guitar got mixed reviews, and I couldn't find a decent video review of it (or even a factually accurate review, now that I know it inside and out), but I took a chance. Here's a quick rundown...
It has the stock JM101 pickups, which tend to have more dirt than I thought they'd have, but they're clean at low gain, and they actually have a pretty great surf sound, especially the beefy Jazzmaster lows. I'll probably replace them with SD Anitiquity II's one of these days, but I'm in no hurry. I replaced the DaneElectro style tailpiece-bridge with a Golden Age low profile roller bridge from StewMac, and a Bigsby B5 vibrato (modified by me not to wobble). I also swapped out the stock stiff spring with a soft touch spring from Reverend Guitars. I painted and re-decal'd the headstock, and I installed Gotoh vintage Klusen-style locking tuners. I swapped the nut for a Graphtech TUSQ XL, which I can't recommend highly enough. The wiring was hacked garbage when I bought it, so I had to rewire it 100%: top knobs are independent volumes, bottom are master tone and master bass rolloff (turns out I'll probably never need that for surf guitar). I kept the stock Alpha pots -mistake, I'll swap to CTS the next string change- and I used Orange Drop caps. Strings are D'Addario Chrome flatwound 11/50 (I'll switch to 12's next, I get the big string thing now). The body cavity is fully copper tape insulated, and the pick guard is insulated with aluminum foil - no hum, buzz or static whatsoever.
Anyway, there you have it. A damn good sounding & playing surf guitar at a price I'm pretty happy about. And it's not bad looking either, if I don't say so myself.

...SurfbumNate _m/

I'm with you, SixStringSurfer, I LOVE the Candy Apple Red! The Fiesta must be an acquired taste, that I've yet to appreciate. And YES, on Fender's current colors - they definitely need more color options.

SixStringSurfer wrote:

Hi Greg, that doesn't sound shallow at all. I just bought a new Classic Player Jaguar instead of a 60's lacquer Jaguar simply because I like the Candy Apple Red so much better than the Fiesta Red. I am going to add Fender vintage pickups and some .12 gauge strings ASAP.

I realize the purist will frown upon my decision as the 60's Jag is much closer to the original, but I just couldn't get past that Fiesta Red. Do you guys agree they need to add other color options? Anyway, my guitar should arrive tomorrow, so I will make a NGD thread! Guitar

...SurfbumNate _m/

Hey SurfbumNate, Nice job on the cool Jazzmaster! I'm also a fan of the Bigsby vibrato. Even more so, the Mosrite vibrato. I think there's a relationship between the two. I bought one of these and have been saving it for an eventual project such as yours:

Mosrite-style trem and bridge assembly

Again, nice job!

Sweet! I'll keep an eye on this thread for future pics. _m/
And thanks!

TomH wrote:

Hey SurfbumNate, Nice job on the cool Jazzmaster! I'm also a fan of the Bigsby vibrato. Even more so, the Mosrite vibrato. I think there's a relationship between the two. I bought one of these and have been saving it for an eventual project such as yours:

Mosrite-style trem and bridge assembly

Again, nice job!

...SurfbumNate _m/

I converted all of my guitars over to Reverends awhile back. Full disclosure: I am an endorsed player. But that's only the case because I love these guitars so much. Even before I recently got into surf guitar, I had an affinity for the 60's deco aesthetic. And, even though I've owned just about every 'standard' guitar model under the sun, now... I find that I typically gravitate towards less used models because they are a little more unique (ie. one of my favorite guitars was the Gretsch Corvette). Anyway, the head designer at Reverend (Joe Naylor) has the same taste in guitar design. They are all unique and proprietary. But they all retain a very classic look, and don't look weird just to look weird. I have a slew of them, now. And have discovered that several models are really perfect for surf stuff. These are my typical rotation for the surf band:

Guitarist for Black Valley Moon & Down By Law

how much is that two pickup blue model? Specs?

Google is your friend...

http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/sensei-hb-2016-le/

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

GregEL wrote:

how much is that two pickup blue model? Specs?

Out of the three, that one is not being currently made in that finish or pickup configuration. I have another one that's a single p90 w/bigsby that may be my favorite guitar of all time. They still make that shape. But with different pickups and colors. Probably could find that exact one used, though. It's all korina wood, set neck, bigsby 'licensed', locking tuners, roller bridge, revtron pickups (obviously, their version of gretsch pickups). Sounds rad. Doesn't go out of tune.
My main, thus far, has been the light blue, stratty one top. But that will soon change. I play 10's. I may move up to 12s, but I use the top one on too many other gigs to make it a dedicated surf guitar. Hence, I think I'll have the heavy string setup done on the blue, sparkly one.

Guitarist for Black Valley Moon & Down By Law

I've played reverends for years. They are simply awesome. & for the money cannot be beat! They're amazing out of the box, but I'm a tinkerer & they're great platforms for mods!

www.instagram.com/_the.outer.limits_
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX7iIpcAvL8In2HY9I7QoPw
www.theouterlimits.bandcamp.com
www.facebook.com/vertigogo.surf

I still love my Gibson Firebird 5. Yes, it's a coffee table minus the legs but it's nice and strong with a very friendly neck. This means a lot as I am old and the RA makes doing things painful quickly. I am glad I stuck with it.

Yes, I know it's not a guitar but surf bands need bass, ya know!

I may be in the minority here regarding color choice but I am one of those weirdos who actually likes Fiesta Red. My #1 surf guitar is a FR AVRI Jazzmaster from the original run back 1999.

But I much prefer playing bass and have a special affinity for the Fender Precision. I've played bass in several band genres since 1973 and ended up buying (and selling) several Precision and Jazz Basses over the years and was astute enough to hold onto the the really good ones.

Anyway....for several years I've wanted a Fiesta Red Precision. The older pre-CBS era ones have now become expensive collectors items so the hunt has been for an American Vintage Reissue. The affordable "holy grail" for me was one of the early AVRI's that were built in the old Fullerton plant prior to Fender's move to Corona. Those utilized the original '50's-'60's tooling, were pretty much hand-built and produced in very small numbers as compared to today.

A couple weeks ago I was checking out the classifieds on the TalkBass.com forum and came across the unicorn Fullerton Fiesta Red '62 AVRI Precision for sale that I never thought I would find - and it was priced reasonably, too. Here it is in it's loving new home (mine). I'm it's third owner and it is unbelievably pristine for a 33 year old instrument.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016 15:53:36

WoodyJ wrote:

I may be in the minority here regarding color choice but I am one of those weirdos who actually likes Fiesta Red.

Huh?? What's weird about that?? Who doesn't LOVE fiesta red??? If such people exist, THEY'RE the weirdos!!! Big Grin

Anyway....for several years I've wanted a Fiesta Red Precision. The older pre-CBS era ones have now become expensive collectors items so the hunt has been for an American Vintage Reissue. The affordable "holy grail" for me was one of the early AVRI's that were built in the old Fullerton plant prior to Fender's move to Corona. Those utilized the original '50's-'60's tooling, were pretty much hand-built and produced in very small numbers as compared to today.

A couple weeks ago I was checking out the classifieds on the TalkBass.com forum and came across the unicorn Fullerton Fiesta Red '62 AVRI Precision for sale that I never thought I would find - and it was priced reasonably, too. Here it is in it's loving new home (mine). I'm it's third owner and it is unbelievably pristine for a 33 year old instrument.

GORGEOUS!!! Right out of Shadows circa '61-'62:

Congratulations, Jack! Jonpaul also scored a Fullerton-era '62 reissue Precision, his in sunburst, for a VERY reasonable sum! You can see it in his SG101 avatar. Fullerton-era '62 reissue Strats are at least $1000-2000 more than the Corona ones, and for fiesta red add another $500-1000 at least.

Enjoy!!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Thanks, Ivan! Dang, I forgot that the Shadows bassist had a Fiesta with tort Precision.

I already have a Fullerton '57 Precision in sunburst, a VERY early one from 1982 with a V000 + 3-digit serial #. And a black Fullerton AVRI '62 Strat which is the best Stratocaster I've ever owned or played. It is a well-used road warrior, all original aside from a set of Rio Grande PU's.

Speaking of Fiesta Red, here's my dog Murphy's (and my) favorite Jazzmaster....

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

WoodyJ wrote:

Thanks, Ivan! Dang, I forgot that the Shadows bassist had a Fiesta with tort Precision.

Jack, bassistS - both Jet Harris and Licorice Locking used that bass - and probably the exact same one. I think when Jet left the band he also left that bass for the next bassist (Jet is never again seen with it). Jet started using it in mid-'61 until he left in the spring of '62, and then Licorice used it until the Shadows switched to white Fenders at some point in '63.

I already have a Fullerton '57 Precision in sunburst, a VERY early one from 1982 with a V000 + 3-digit serial #. And a black Fullerton AVRI '62 Strat which is the best Stratocaster I've ever owned or played. It is a well-used road warrior, all original aside from a set of Rio Grande PU's.

Nice, Jack! Wonderful instruments!

Speaking of Fiesta Red, here's my dog Murphy's (and my) favorite Jazzmaster....

Awesome! Thumbs Up

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Goto Page: Previous 1 250 51 52 53 5465 66 Next