Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
320 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
114 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
1 day ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Favorite surf guitar

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 231 32 33 34 3565 66 Next

I just, thanks to my wife got my second Dipinto Galaxie 4 this time a Los Straitjackets model . I can't tell you how much I love these guitars . The pickups are great , Just adjust them to your taste (height) and your rocking. This is the most well balanced ,cool looking ,VERY cool sounding, stay in tune with wammy bar guitars out there. It is well made and for the money even if it was 3 xs the price it is a steal . They are my goto main guitars now and the only problem now is do I play the Pink Sparkle or the Silver Sparkle Galaxie as I love them both!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012 09:20:11

Pink Sparkle................Now that's cool!
Congrats on your new Dipinto.

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

I just recently bought me a Vintage Modified Jaguar by Squier...and I gotta tell Ya that I really dig this guitars vibes..It's finishing is nice and smooth and it plays and sounds quite nice allright. I had to make few adjustments although..I put Gotoh-tuners instead of those kluson-type originals and new Fender Mustang-brigde too. Now I think that it is the way I want to and the upper E-string doesn't pop out when playing fast surf-tremoloes! image

Twang & Bop til You Drop!

Beautiful instrument. I really need to give a Jaguar a try some time.

Either you surf, or you fight.

At 1st I was all about the Mosrite Ventures Model exclusively... Then I graduated to a real 1962 Fender MIA Jazzmaster. Now that my hands are giving me trouble, its a Fender MIJ Jaguar but at least its still a surf guitar...

give me 3-fingers of 1st Wave SURF

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012 20:35:44

For me, it's a Strat, or a Tele with a vibrato bar. The Jazzmaster is a fine, historic guitar, but sounds too soft and plinky to my undoubtedly damaged hearing, and the Jaguar, another respected surf guitar, sounds thin and like it's fretting out. But, my band plays not only surf but instrumental rock, with roots back to players such as Link Wray, and the Strat, and a Tele with vibrato, seem to handle that range of musical duty the best...again, this is all only as interpreted by my ears, with no disrespect to Leo's other interesting creations, and the fine players who use them.

. . . "and the Jaguar, another respected surf guitar, sounds thin and like it's fretting out".

Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. In fact, if this is the case, then something isn't quite right, either with your Jag or your Strat.

Like you, I own multiple Strats, Teles, Jags, Jazzmasters and a plethora of other guitars (single-coil, humbuckers, etc.), and there simply isn't a single-coil guitar in the known world that is inherently 'fatter' sounding (right outta the box), than a Jag. No Strat in the world (vintage or modern) can come close IMHO.

Check your pots, your caps, your wiring, your switches, your string gauges, whatever (!), but something just isn't right. Every decent Jag I've ever played wss like a Strat with P90s or Firebirds - it shouldn't be "thin" sounding at all.

Jags are fat for Fender guitars. Strats and Teles just sound more rounded. I wouldn't call it thinner and definitely not fatter. Jags have a lot of highs and a lot of lows. It is fat and thin. Strats and Teles are pretty focused and don't have a lot of shrill or a lot of fat. All good guitars for different purposes. Give me a Jazzmaster though, although I am keen on Jags.

When you use the word thin and "sounds like it is fretting out" then there is something wrong with the setup on the guitar you played. No properly setup guitar sounds like it is fretting out.

No, it's not an individual Jag - they just all sound thin and fretting out to me, but that's only me, so please feel free to Jag on!

fenderfan wrote:

No, it's not an individual Jag - they just all sound thin and fretting out to me, but that's only me, so please feel free to Jag on!

I'm okay with saying they are thin, as they are Fenders. Fuller than a Mustang, more life than a DiPinto equals good enough for me. But if it sounds like a guitar is fretting out, there is something wrong with the setup, not the guitar itself. The Jag has any number of spots(four or five) where this is a reality. They are high maintenance guitars, that is the problem with them.

fenderfan wrote:

my band plays not only surf but instrumental rock, with roots back to players such as Link Wray, and the Strat, and a Tele with vibrato, seem to handle that range of musical duty the best...

Interestingly, the SG-2 Wray was famous for playing doesn't look or sound much like a strat... to my eyes and ears, it's a much closer cousin to the jag:

Not trying to jump on the pile, but I agree that your opinion of jaguars may have been tempered by a bad experience/bad setup, because these babies growl like their namesakes, and don't fret out anywhere on mine. Maybe you're just a "strat guy" though, and there's nothing wrong with that... I like 'em too.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Link played just about everything, but really did a lot on his old Supro, which had a snarling Tele or Strat twang and growl.

Fair enough, but a tele or strat is not really the first thing I would think of for early Link... especially concerning that iconic white Supro, something he supposedly bought to replace a Les Paul. I'm sure in the right hands and with the right amp, you can get a tele or strat to sound similar (and I realize he definitely did use strats later on), I just think it's stretching it a bit to consider those particular models as "the" Link Wray sound. Tone is a really subjective beast though, so whatever works for you. Cheers

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

You're right that he used Strats (and used them extensively). The fundamental element of the Link Wray sound is deep, snarky (technical term) twang, and the best way to get that is with a Tele or a Strat, rather than wrestling with another guitar to make it sound like a Tele or Strat. And, if other players are able to get their desired tone with a Jag or Jazzmaster, that's good. We all gravitate toward what our ears focus most directly on, and, as I've mentioned, mine are probably damaged from so many years in front of the amps.

My Classic 60's Jaguar Special with single coils is now my sole electric...she is good for everything, kinda a cross between a tele and a strat. Just right with my new Excelsior (you fathead!...RIP Gene Shepard)

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013 10:28:21

I want an excelsior so bad... My favorite current guitar is my tele, but I'd like a squier jag.

IMO.

Altar wrote:

I want an excelsior so bad... My favorite current guitar is my tele, but I'd like a squier jag.

The Excelsior is a great little amp. Add a touch of reverb and you get a very good early Surf sound, IMHO.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Yeah, the tremolo is great, and the three inputs are a bonus, in a setup with multiple guitarists, and at $300, the price is phenomenal.

IMO.

At the moment it's my modified 60's Kalamazoo KG-1 guitars. Fender look, 7.250" Fender radius, Bolt on neck, Jaguar scale..... A fun stab that the folks at Gibson made at Fender team during the early years of the solidbody guitar.

I love my Strat's for surf (especially the Strat Plus) but gonna have to buy a Jag sooner or later

'Surf Music Lasts Forever'

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013 22:50:18

Goto Page: Previous 1 231 32 33 34 3565 66 Next